Oryx -- long term (?) strategy

I am 23-years of trying, not drawing a tag in NM, and even now with a DAV tag, nothing is off to Africa next year. They are great to eat and a beautiful animal, hope you can draw one.
That’s brutal. Trying to draw what tag? Good luck in Africa.

I’m gonna start trying for an off-range tag in a couple years. Is there a way to calculate draw odds without paying up for some subscription service?

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
That’s brutal. Trying to draw what tag? Good luck in Africa.

I’m gonna start trying for an off-range tag in a couple years. Is there a way to calculate draw odds without paying up for some subscription service?
Given that NM is pure random chance, and they report how many people entered and how many licenses are available, it's a quick calculation.

Looks like even off range is single digit odds tho

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree, you should consider Africa. My wife and I just returned from a hunt in South Africa. It was a great experience and the outfitter (Bosveld Jacobs) treated us very well. No doubt that a trip to RSA will cost you more money but you will probably see a lot more animals to choose from. The only draw back in my mind is you leave the meat behind. Oryx was one of the animals I wanted but did not get. However, that was my own fault. Oryx are a fun animals to hunt, they are quite elusive and skittish

Given that NM is pure random chance, and they report how many people entered and how many licenses are available, it's a quick calculation.

Looks like even off range is single digit odds tho
Thanks.

I looked at the numbers last night for off-range hunts and, assuming the NM draw works the way I think it does, I agree with your odds calculations (for non-residents).

Guess I should just start applying now and figure out the logistics if I ever get lucky.