Oregon ballot initiative

Ehunter

FNG
The guy that wrote this bill said he didn't expect it to pass but said he would just keep submitting it. If it ever passed I would move. This crap keeps coming just like gun bills. CA has screwed up the pork industry as well. I just wish they would quit selling to CA. That would change it fast.

It does appear to outlaw sodomizing your elk after you kill it… so some of you may have to alter your “gutless method”.

I guess it also makes it illegal to sodomize the elk before you kill it. If any of you are in shape enough to sodomoze a living elk, post a link to your workout routine!

*Cam Hanes has entered the chat*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
As a hunters or gun owners, when are we going to realize the Democrat party is against us?

They just introduced a bill to add a 1,000% tax on semi auto weapons.
CBS link

Hopefully it won’t pass, but the overriding theme here is: the Dem party has been hijacked with an idiotic ideology.

They allow millions of illegals to flood in along with criminals and drugs

They have corrupted our justice system and the federal agencies, and use it as a weapon against conservatives.

They have placed people with these wacky ideologies in key positions in the military, energy department, interior everywhere.

The Democrat party is destroying the fabric of the US.

How anyone that is a hunter - or just a common sense person-can vote for a Democrat is beyond me.

Last edited:
As a hunters or gun owners, when are we going to realize the Democrat party is against us?

CBS link

Hopefully it won’t pass, but the overriding theme here is: the Dem party has been hijacked with an idiotic ideology.

They have corrupted our justice system and the federal agencies, and use it as a weapon against conservatives.

They have placed people with these wacky ideologies in key positions in the military, energy department, interior everywhere.

How anyone that is a hunter - or just a common sense person-can vote for a Democrat is beyond me.
Real hunters and people with common sense don't vote for Democrats.

Hoodie

WKR
More fear mongering and fake news. Come on people.

Section 9. ORS 167.335 is amended to read:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, unless gross negligence can be shown, the provisions of ORS 167.315 (Animal abuse in the second degree) to 167.333 (Sexual assault of an animal) do not apply to:
(a) [The treatment of livestock being transported by owner or common carrier;]Situations of self-defense when it is necessary to defend against the threat of immediate harm to oneself, to other humans, or to other animals;
[(b) Animals involved in rodeos or similar exhibitions;]
[(c) Commercially grown poultry;]
[(d) Animals subject to good animal husbandry practices;]
[(e) The killing of livestock according to the provisions of ORS 603.065 (Slaughter methods);]
[(f)](b) Animals subject to good veterinary practices as described in ORS 686.030 (Acts constituting practice of veterinary medicine)[;].
[(g) Lawful fishing, hunting and trapping activities;] [(h) Wildlife management practices under color of law;]

[(i) Lawful scientific or agricultural research or teaching that involves the use of animals;] [(j) Reasonable activities undertaken in connection with the control of vermin or pests; and] [(k) Reasonable handling and training techniques.]
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not create an exemption from ORS 167.332 (Prohibition against possession of same genus or domestic animal). [1985 c.662 §6; 1995 c.663 §4; 2001 c.926 §10a; 2018

Typically I'd assume you were right. But per the IP3 website:

"If passed, IP3 would remove the exemption for hunting, fishing, and trapping from our cruelty laws, meaning that any practice that involves the intentional injury of an animal would be criminalized. Although the practice of seeking, pursuing, and in some cases even capturing an animal would still be legally protected, the practice of killing animals would no longer be protected. Many of those who are following the campaign are concerned about meeting the needs that they currently try to meet by hunting, fishing, and trapping. Those needs have included a need for food, a need for conservation, a need for recreation, and many others. We want to help show how all of those needs can still be met while also meeting the needs of animals to be free from unnecessary human-caused suffering. Within the state of Oregon we have ample food, as well as the resources needed to distribute that food to every citizen. There are also a multitude of humane and creative methods for conserving our environment and, in a state as wonderful as Oregon, there are countless activities we can engage in for recreation that do not involve taking the life of an animal; it is possible that everyone can get their needs met."

So it looks like they are specifically looking to remove the exemptions you mentioned.

Website if anyone is interested: https://www.yesonip3.org/

Ehunter

FNG
How can you hunt or fish without inflicting cruelty. No this a vegan dream they want to outlaw ranching and all meat eating. They are trying to disguise it. Just like they did with using dogs for hunting cats and bears. These guys are vegans liberals and want to end meat eating.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Typically I'd assume you were right. But per the IP3 website:

"If passed, IP3 would remove the exemption for hunting, fishing, and trapping from our cruelty laws, meaning that any practice that involves the intentional injury of an animal would be criminalized. Although the practice of seeking, pursuing, and in some cases even capturing an animal would still be legally protected, the practice of killing animals would no longer be protected. Many of those who are following the campaign are concerned about meeting the needs that they currently try to meet by hunting, fishing, and trapping. Those needs have included a need for food, a need for conservation, a need for recreation, and many others. We want to help show how all of those needs can still be met while also meeting the needs of animals to be free from unnecessary human-caused suffering. Within the state of Oregon we have ample food, as well as the resources needed to distribute that food to every citizen. There are also a multitude of humane and creative methods for conserving our environment and, in a state as wonderful as Oregon, there are countless activities we can engage in for recreation that do not involve taking the life of an animal; it is possible that everyone can get their needs met."

So it looks like they are specifically looking to remove the exemptions you mentioned.

Website if anyone is interested: https://www.yesonip3.org/
I’m not a “political” person but what kind of garbage, “utopian” nonsense is that quote? Wow.

JeffP_Or

WKR
More fear mongering and fake news. Come on people.

Section 9. ORS 167.335 is amended to read:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, unless gross negligence can be shown, the provisions of ORS 167.315 (Animal abuse in the second degree) to 167.333 (Sexual assault of an animal) do not apply to:
(a) [The treatment of livestock being transported by owner or common carrier;]Situations of self-defense when it is necessary to defend against the threat of immediate harm to oneself, to other humans, or to other animals;
[(b) Animals involved in rodeos or similar exhibitions;]
[(c) Commercially grown poultry;]
[(d) Animals subject to good animal husbandry practices;]
[(e) The killing of livestock according to the provisions of ORS 603.065 (Slaughter methods);]
[(f)](b) Animals subject to good veterinary practices as described in ORS 686.030 (Acts constituting practice of veterinary medicine)[;].
[(g) Lawful fishing, hunting and trapping activities;] [(h) Wildlife management practices under color of law;]

[(i) Lawful scientific or agricultural research or teaching that involves the use of animals;] [(j) Reasonable activities undertaken in connection with the control of vermin or pests; and] [(k) Reasonable handling and training techniques.]
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not create an exemption from ORS 167.332 (Prohibition against possession of same genus or domestic animal). [1985 c.662 §6; 1995 c.663 §4; 2001 c.926 §10a; 2018

This is interesting. I've found four separate sources including the RMEF that all state the initiative would ban hunting, fishing, trapping, and ranching. But you're right, it definitely looks like it has exemptions for all those activities. I think I'm actually going to reach out to RMEF and see what they have to say about that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

When presented to the public ITALICIZED items are those being removed; BOLD items are those that are added.

So it is very real. They have actually rewritten the statute to also include insemination in breeding to be 'sexual assault'.

In essence, it proposes Oregon to be a safe haven for all animals with the only animal protein available for sale to be that which died of old age or that which has been imported into the state from elsewhere. It got approved for signatures and the submitters just got a boost in donations allowing them to hire signature gatherers which potentially makes it that much easier to get the total needed.

For those in this state that say 'It'll never pass' - look back starting in '94 with the hound ban; same comments but where are we? look at measure 110 - same comments, but where are we? Measure 114? Uh-huh.

There was a recent news story about the very fact that Oregon statutes do not actually require any proposal to be constitutional or reviewed under the law prior to getting voted on as long as it passes the criteria to go to a vote - anything can be proposed and passed and it is up to someone being 'harmed' to sue and try to reverse the law in the courts.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
The responses on here are exactly why Laws get passed that shouldn't. People do not educate themselves on the Bills getting proposed and/or assume they will never pass so they don't worry about them.

For the Record: Yes, this is real. It will ban ALL hunting, fishing, ranching, meat packing, butchering and many Veterinarian procedures. Yes, Artificial inseminations would be classified as a sexual assault. This is being advertised as preventing animal abuse and is really the most extreme anti everything bill in the nation.

and when the OP posts about it, someone who has ZERO knowledge of the facts weighs in to explain how mistaken he is. Gotta LOVE the internet

Oregon

WKR
I hope it passes. Would be exactly what I need to finally force me to move. Along with 50% of the state's population. State will crumble. Portland would be the scene of the new movie Mad Max 3. Every news outlet on the planet will be back in eastern Oregon similar to when the Bundys moved into an empty federal building 50 miles from the nearest gas station.
It would make good TV. Our fish cops would resign and move. A lot are outdoorsman.
Tourism fishing is an incredible money maker here. Ocean rivers and lakes. I'd lose my job.
Sell my over priced house to a Californian, and buy an over priced house somewhere east. #winning.

cjdewese

WKR
CA has screwed up the pork industry as well. I just wish they would quit selling to CA. That would change it fast.
Voters in California had no idea how much it would screw up the pork industry. I wish more Californians would spend time outside of a city to have a better perspective on things. Then again Im not sure I'd want more recreating here.

Hoodie

WKR
So here's what we have so far:

1) It's an Initiative Petition, not a bill.
2) They need 112,000 signatures to get it on the ballot
3) They have around 30,000

Here's some important facts for context:
Oregon does have one of the highest rates of veganism in the US. 688 out of 1,000,000 residents are vegan. Nevada is sitting at 942 per million.

So 99.4% of Oregonians consume animal products. And we have the 3rd highest per capita vegan population.

I'm all about facts and staying up to date on threats. The Initiative is an attempt to ban all hunting, fishing, and livestock production. But it's going nowhere. It's nothing like the hound hunting ban.

Ehunter

FNG
So here's what we have so far:

1) It's an Initiative Petition, not a bill.
2) They need 112,000 signatures to get it on the ballot
3) They have around 30,000

Here's some important facts for context:
Oregon does have one of the highest rates of veganism in the US. 688 out of 1,000,000 residents are vegan. Nevada is sitting at 942 per million.

So 99.4% of Oregonians consume animal products. And we have the 3rd highest per capita vegan population.

I'm all about facts and staying up to date on threats. The Initiative is an attempt to ban all hunting, fishing, and livestock production. But it's going nowhere.
That's what we said about hunting with dogs. It's all about how they word it. We have stupid voters in this state look at Portland and the valley. That's why they keep voting inpcompetent democrats in. This state is going down hill fast.

Hoodie

WKR
That's what we said about hunting with dogs. It's all about how they word it. We have stupid voters in this state look at Portland and the valley. That's why they keep voting inpcompetent democrats in. This state is going down hill fast.

What percentage of Oregon residents ran hounds prior to the ban? Hell, for that matter, what percentage of licensed hunters ran hounds? How does that compare to the percentage of Oregonians that consume animal products?

99.4% of people in this state eat meat or consume dairy products.

I mean there's plenty worth freaking out over these days, but this doesn't meet my personal threshold. This would be like the state voting for a total ban on automobile ownership.

Ehunter

FNG
What percentage of Oregon residents ran hounds prior to the ban? Hell, for that matter, what percentage of licensed hunters ran hounds? How does that compare to the percentage of Oregonians that consume animal products?

99.4% of people in this state eat meat or consume dairy products.

I mean there's plenty worth freaking out over these days, but this doesn't meet my personal threshold. This would be like the state voting for a total ban on automobile ownership.
You know they are working on making all car sales ev. I don't have rose colored glasses on this state is liberal hot bed. Time will tell look at measure 114. EO HAS NO say in these measures. Only PTL and the valley. Our gov was voted in by 6 counties 26 voted against her.

Haro450

FNG
I live in Oregon. I have told my wife multiple times I will come home some day and tell her I listed the house for sell and we are moving out of state. All because I know they will pass a law that I will not be willing to live with. I am 99% certain that will happen. Part of me hopes it happens sooner than later.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Hoodie are you from Oregon or currently live here?

If not you do not comprehend how stupid a lot of residents are around here. This has a good chance of passing because they will word the bill in such a way a lot of people will vote for it. They only need portland, salem and Eugene to pass this.
Animal cruelty will be the main verbiage used and nobody will read past that and cast their vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR

CBS link

And the right sets on their thumbs and watches. What's the saying?? Different wings on the same bird.