One Tent, 2 people, backpacking, late season w/snow possible, what would you pick?

rbljack

WKR
Its all in the title, what tent would be your choice for a Nov rifle hunt in the mountains, that would be a backpack trip, for 2 people? Curious to hear what yall would choose. My first thought is a sawtooth with Medium stove would be the best for a lightweight option for 2.

what would your choice be?

colonel00

WKR
I'm really liking my Seek Outside Cimarron with my DIY stove. I used it a few weeks ago in AK when the temps were down in the 20's and it did pretty good. We were just at a campground but I used the trip to test out stuff before committing to something for a hunting trip.

IMGP5836_zpslgiz1ila.jpg

^^^That looks like a pretty sweet set up right there. My choice would be a HMG Ultamid 4/no stove, just because I like going ultra light and figure I can manage without the heat.

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, the Cimarron isn't the lightest with the stove jack but it is a kingdom to roam for two people. We had the nest because my girlfriend was more comfortable in it. If it was just two guys on a hunt, I would actually orient stuff inside 90 degrees differently. You could still probably have the stove and a lot of room still. Plus, each person would have their own door.

When we were in rainy and buggy weather, we both slept in the nest (probably too tight for two guys though) and had the other side for hanging out.

IMGP5924_zpsn9ituekl.jpg

I would use a sawtooth. I slept in my brothers this past elk hunt with him and a buddy and we had room for all our gear with adequate space between us. I was really surprised with how big it was inside.

A 4-man tipi would be another viable choice. Plenty of room for two, gear, stove.

Here's a couple pics of our Seek Outside 4-man. For reference, I'm 6'3".

P9120069_zps7dghg7az.jpg

P9120080_zpsndgqww9a.jpg

P9120104_zpsokhnusxg.jpg

P9120105_zpserj01jfj.jpg

Last edited:
Sawtooth is great but I couldnt pass up the price on the bcs grande at the time.
47fbae93f3e1910d640db73503e978ce.jpg

It has a stove jack as well (not pictured).

We used my bpwd luna 6 with a lite outdoors stove last week. Temps were really too warm for the stove but it proved to be a great setup

View attachment 29333
x2 on the Cimarron. I just used mine with my hunting partner in MT high country for 2 weeks in high wind/rain/snow. I use the sxl stove and bd carbon fiber pole. We split the weight, so 2.5 lbs for a hot tent system for backpacking is a great set up for me. We each had a door so we weren't climbing over each other with the stove and wood between us. Plenty of room for our packs/bows also.

Attachments

• IMG_6767.jpg
    IMG_6767.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Im sporting the Seekoutside LBO with 3 pc vestibule, 10oz less than the Cimmaron but also less square footage. We're running two guys, a stove and gear, it works but its tighter than I'd like... if this weren't my only shelter (for mostly solo and without stove) then I would go with the Cimmaron hands down. I love the versatility of the LBO system though for multi season situations

oldgoat

WKR
I'm going to have to say Sawtooth because I own one already, I didn't order a liner with it when I bought it but ordered one later because we froze and had a lot of condensation during September elk. Cut wood as big as you can for your stove, we were trying to use twigs and it was a full time job feeding the stove or it would go burn all the fuel faster than you can cook a mountain house meal!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't say if you were spike camping or bivy camping. If spike then I would lean towards a teepee configuration with a stove so I could dry out clothes at night, stand up, share the weight burden with my partner and have a stove, etc however, if I am trying to go lean and mean with a minimalistic load and my camp location is changing every day...I'll take a hammock anytime. I don't need fire to keep this small space warm. I will hunt until I'm exhausted, pitch camp, eat and sleep. No frills.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm not sure I have seen too many 2 man hammocks and if I did, not sure I would want to saddle up in a double hammock with another dude anyways. 2 hammock systems would likely outweigh what a Seek outside Cimarron would be anyways.

Regardless if I had to nail it down to a 2 man tent for myself it would be first the Kifaru Sawtooth if money was no option and if it was then go with a Seek Outside Cimarron. Both are great shelters and I own both. A wood stove doesn't have to be purchased at the same time as both shelters function just fine without a stove. So get the shelter first and as funds allow in coming years get a stove if you seem it's needed. But it's hard to beat the space/weight/weather protection of both the sawtooth and Cimarron.