One Tent, 2 people, backpacking, late season w/snow possible, what would you pick?

slim9300

WKR
Another vote for a Sawtooth with an 18" Smith Stove. Nothing beats this setup when there is firewood to be had.
c3d8929a2a2f479febd593585cd420ce.jpg

You didn't say if you were spike camping or bivy camping. If spike then I would lean towards a teepee configuration with a stove so I could dry out clothes at night, stand up, share the weight burden with my partner and have a stove, etc however, if I am trying to go lean and mean with a minimalistic load and my camp location is changing every day...I'll take a hammock anytime. I don't need fire to keep this small space warm. I will hunt until I'm exhausted, pitch camp, eat and sleep. No frills.

Bruce what hammock are you using there

Cindy

FNG
Lots of brand choices.
My opinion is to buy one that you can afford to lose. Not that you will.
We all know bad things happen on occasion.
There are spendy, high dollar, popular brands. And there are some cheaper alternatives.
Buy for your budget.

When considering size, consider not only gear and guys, but stove and a pile of firewood space.
I find that many of the tipi style tents that will fit two are way too small for two plus gear, plus stove, plus a big pile of wood.

Get a tent with a large enough footprint to have some room to work with.
I like a large pile of wood between the two sleeping bags, just above the stove.

Don't get stuck on buying a tent and stove combo.
Get as big and as light a stove as you can handle. I like the new lite outdoors titanium XL stove, although I do not own one. The new design of the door is perfect.
18 inches long, with a door big enough to put large diameter chunks of wood into it.
I intend to buy and try one of these. Although, I will not be using the stove pipe from lite outdoors.

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the cimmaron w/stove. I've been using it a good bit and love it. I've had it in some high wind and rain and it's worked well, it hasn't seen much in the way of snow yet, but I have no concerns about it not performing. I recently used it on a week long hunt and had 3 guys and a stove in it (gear outside), and it worked great although it was just a little tight. I think all things considered it is a very good option at a great price.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Seek Outside 4 man (previously 6 man 70d heavy fabric) and a large stove. 2 is perfect 3 is tight with the stove. With 3 the gear goes outside unless it is bad, really bad out. I am glad I have the large stove.
The Cimarron was brand new when I bought the 4 man but it looks like a good choice. I like the headroom of the 4 man. I would highly recommend Seek Outside gear. I have a Kifaru pack and I am sure their shelters are the best available. Either company will be a good choice.
Good Luck

If hunting out of a backcountry camp each day I agree with the Sawtooth. But if your hunting with camp on your back each day I'd pick a Hilleberg. I've got a Nallo 3 that has worked really well for two.

There's a reason nobody owns just one tent.

Or two ;)

gmajor

WKR
I'm going 10+ miles in this weekend with snow on the ground. Using my Kifaru megatarp + annex and tigoat small wifi stove. I believe it's the lightest option I've seen for a hot tent. The megatarp is actually decently spacious (I seriously love this shelter), but it's not going to come near the big tipis, sawtooth, etc being suggested. But it's going to come in quite a bit lighter. That's important for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Both the Sawtooth from Kifaru and the Seek Outside Cimarron are a palace for 2 people:

Sawtooth:

Cimarron:

Shrek

WKR
Sawtooth ! I couldn't be happier with my shelter. With it 28* outside and blowing snow I had to open the door with my large stove cranking out the heat. It got to 92* inside :) . Great problem to have ten minutes after arriving at camp cold and damp. The Sawtooth is probably not the greatest for hunting day after day with your camp on your back though. It takes a little bit to set it up for one thing. 18 pegs in total if you guy the sides out and then the stove setup. The only other negative is that it takes a pretty good sized campsite. Good sites can be hard to find on the side of the mountain. I want to add the rear loop so I can go without the rear pole like Luke and Becca did to theirs but thats about the only thing I want to change.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
Another smaller, lighter, and cheaper option would be something like a paratipi. I used mine with an 18 in smith stove for 3rd rifle up here in CO and it worked well. My hunting partner is 6'6" and we both easily fit and had plenty of room for all of our gear and a wood pile for the stove.

LaGriz

WKR
rbljack,
View attachment 31278+1 one on a used BCS, BCS-2, or a Go-lite SL-5 and a stove. The stove may bust your budget, but worth it. Slit the weight up with your hunting partner and go for it. Finding a lightly used Sawtooth at a discount price is like looking for hens teeth. Very rare to find one. If you wish to go the 4-season floored tent style, you might look for a used North Face, Kelty, or simular model. You might find some thing resonable in 2 or 3-man Mt. tent. Good luck.
LaGriz