OMG. I drew one of the best Coues Deer Units in New Mexico- advice?

Obviously OP means well and is excited, but...

As a resident that hunts this unit, I'd rather not turn this thread into a honeypot.

Yes, I'm excited. I read the "Terms and Rules" in the footer and didn't see anything there where I would be going agaisnt any rules. Is there more rule info somewhere else that I should look at? I did not share any specific unit info- no locations, general info & tips only and PMs for any other insights.

I did EDIT my previous posts to not confirm or deny any unit. There are arguably 6 units with multiple seasons for Coues in NM that could be considered "one of the best..." Lord knows that I have tried to draw all of them over the years and have been unlucky for over a decade. My time finally came.

Best of luck to ya.

No coues experience but I've hunted southern NM mulies a few times. While not a ghostly as the coues they are hard to spot.

I'd go with 15x quality glass and a really good tripod. A spotter is a great option as well.

I've changed things around a couple times from cheap and light to modest priced and light to a little more money and weight. I'm happy with the latter as it offers the most functionality and stability. As a bonus with an Acra rail I can shoot a long long ways from the prone to standing positions.
1000001754.jpg

I've changed things around a couple timed from cheap and light to modest priced and light to a little more money and weight. I'm happy with the latter as it offer the most functionality and stability. As a bonus with an Acra rail I can shoot a long long ways from the prone to standing positions.
I'm a horrible example since I just don't care about weight at all for these types of hunts. The tripod I used coues hunting was a RRS TFCT-34L + Anvil head which comes in at about 5.5 pounds. It's as stable as you can possibly get for shooting though, plus my rifle was 13#. Having an ARCA rail on the rifle stock makes life so much easier too.

Next time I hunt coues (2025) I'll have a 15# rifle. And for my antelope hunt in eastern CO this fall I may very well be hauling a 19# rifle.

Last edited:
Best of luck to ya.

No coues experience but I've hunted southern NM mulies a few times. While not a ghostly as the coues they are hard to spot.

I'd go with 15x quality glass and a really good tripod. A spotter is a great option as well.

I've changed things around a couple times from cheap and light to modest priced and light to a little more money and weight. I'm happy with the latter as it offers the most functionality and stability. As a bonus with an Acra rail I can shoot a long long ways from the prone to standing positions.
View attachment 703580
That looks like a great set up. I don't have an ARCA rail on my current rifle; only picatinny. May I ask what tripod and rifle clamp set up you are using? Looks like it would really work well. Feel free to PM me too.

It's a gunwerks revic. I'm not a genwerks fanboy but they do have good stuff. This thing was sold where I live which allowed me to test drive it plus support a mom and pop store, although my business certainly won't make or brake that particular store. 😉

One thing I really liked is there's no screw in or telescopic center post for stand up glassing. It's all leg to the base making for a more stable platform.

The ball head comes with the tripod.

To elaborate a bit on what he said, a center post on a tripod absolutely wrecks stability for shooting. I can't recommend getting a good shooting tripod enough. It will enhance basically all of your hunting. If you do end up getting an actual shooting tripod, I made a PDF awhile ago of some guy's posts about how to properly use shooting tripods.

To elaborate a bit on what he said, a center post on a tripod absolutely wrecks stability for shooting. I can't recommend getting a good shooting tripod enough. It will enhance basically all of your hunting. If you do end up getting an actual shooting tripod, I made a PDF awhile ago of some guy's posts about how to properly use shooting tripods.
I'd be very much interested in reading that PDF. Please PM me.

Please PM me- I just drew one of the best Coues Deer units in NM! Love to learn more about hunting them if you've drawn a good tag before and have actual kill experience.

Thank you
Make sure you get your glass on a tripod. Doesnt need to be a big heavy tripod. You want to be comfortable and glass into the sun and wind. It's tough but it pays off. Also, get yourself a little butt pad as the country you will be in will have jagged rocks and things that stick you. Watch as many coues hunting videos as you can. Meat eater has two great videos on coues hunts. Hes a great teacher and isn't afraid to ask questions of others. Worth your time watching them. best of luck. Coues hunting is an addiction!!

Back