OMG. I drew one of the best Coues Deer Units in New Mexico- advice?

Obviously OP means well and is excited, but...

As a resident that hunts this unit, I'd rather not turn this thread into a honeypot.

OP
T
Yes, I'm excited. I read the "Terms and Rules" in the footer and didn't see anything there where I would be going agaisnt any rules. Is there more rule info somewhere else that I should look at? I did not share any specific unit info- no locations, general info & tips only and PMs for any other insights.

I did EDIT my previous posts to not confirm or deny any unit. There are arguably 6 units with multiple seasons for Coues in NM that could be considered "one of the best..." Lord knows that I have tried to draw all of them over the years and have been unlucky for over a decade. My time finally came.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck to ya.

No coues experience but I've hunted southern NM mulies a few times. While not a ghostly as the coues they are hard to spot.

I'd go with 15x quality glass and a really good tripod. A spotter is a great option as well.

I've changed things around a couple times from cheap and light to modest priced and light to a little more money and weight. I'm happy with the latter as it offers the most functionality and stability. As a bonus with an Acra rail I can shoot a long long ways from the prone to standing positions.
1000001754.jpg

I've changed things around a couple timed from cheap and light to modest priced and light to a little more money and weight. I'm happy with the latter as it offer the most functionality and stability. As a bonus with an Acra rail I can shoot a long long ways from the prone to standing positions.
I'm a horrible example since I just don't care about weight at all for these types of hunts. The tripod I used coues hunting was a RRS TFCT-34L + Anvil head which comes in at about 5.5 pounds. It's as stable as you can possibly get for shooting though, plus my rifle was 13#. Having an ARCA rail on the rifle stock makes life so much easier too.

Next time I hunt coues (2025) I'll have a 15# rifle. And for my antelope hunt in eastern CO this fall I may very well be hauling a 19# rifle.

Last edited:
OP
T
Best of luck to ya.

No coues experience but I've hunted southern NM mulies a few times. While not a ghostly as the coues they are hard to spot.

I'd go with 15x quality glass and a really good tripod. A spotter is a great option as well.

I've changed things around a couple times from cheap and light to modest priced and light to a little more money and weight. I'm happy with the latter as it offers the most functionality and stability. As a bonus with an Acra rail I can shoot a long long ways from the prone to standing positions.
View attachment 703580
That looks like a great set up. I don't have an ARCA rail on my current rifle; only picatinny. May I ask what tripod and rifle clamp set up you are using? Looks like it would really work well. Feel free to PM me too.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
It's a gunwerks revic. I'm not a genwerks fanboy but they do have good stuff. This thing was sold where I live which allowed me to test drive it plus support a mom and pop store, although my business certainly won't make or brake that particular store. 😉

One thing I really liked is there's no screw in or telescopic center post for stand up glassing. It's all leg to the base making for a more stable platform.

The ball head comes with the tripod.

To elaborate a bit on what he said, a center post on a tripod absolutely wrecks stability for shooting. I can't recommend getting a good shooting tripod enough. It will enhance basically all of your hunting. If you do end up getting an actual shooting tripod, I made a PDF awhile ago of some guy's posts about how to properly use shooting tripods.

Binos on a tripod to glass. Get comfortable shooting at 300-500 yards. That includes shooting from various positions other than prone. Best of luck!