Older Tacoma or Frontier? Help me choose.

TN2shot07

WKR
I had 3 of the frontiers (07, 12, 16) and never had any issues. If you can find a decent price on one of the pro4x’s that’s where I’d lean. I never could justify what those Tacoma’s cost. I test drove a 21 Tacoma when I was shopping in January. I felt like I was sitting flat and never could get my legs extended, very uncomfortable. I haven’t driven one of the new frontiers yet.

I’ve had two Frontiers, drive a 2019 currently. I think they are great trucks. Super reliable, easy to work on, and a lot cheaper than a Tacoma.

The same truck (D40) was made from 2005-2019. There was an issue with the coolant mixing with transmission fluid in the 2005-2011, they call it the SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death). There is an easy fix for it but I would personally go with a 2012-2019.

Don't hesitate to get a frontier! I had an 08 se and am now in a 21 pro4x. You get alot of truck for the money. Though the tech and after market options are lacking compared to other vehicles, it did not affect their dependability. 16 years of essentially the same truck (gen 2) is less tooling and costs which gets passed off to the consumer. I definitely would look at a pro4x. For getting back in there, mine has an electronic locking rear differential and hill assist. Add tire chains for all 4 tires and you have a truck that should handle nearly anything you responsibly should be trying.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jon C

FNG
I am wanting to buy an older (2010-2015) tacoma or frontier with low miles. Those of you who own or have owned either, what has your experience been?

My son turns 16 in may. Our kids don’t get their own vehicles, they are my wife and I’s and the kids get to use them. My daughter has been driving a VW Golf I picked up, she is going to college and buying my mom’s CRV. My son could continue to drive the Golf, but I thought this might be a great opportunity to pick up a little truck that my son can drive on the daily and I can take hunting occasionally. I drive a newer cummins, which I love but something lighter and more off road capable seems fun to me. Especially since I sold my ATVs a few months ago.

On a side note, if anybody has one they want to let go of, let me know :). Would prefer an extended cab so my son won’t be hauling friends everywhere.
Never thought the Nissan were as comfortable but haven’t looked at any since 2008 or so.

Carlin59

WKR
Have an ‘05 Xterra (basically identical SUV version of the Frontier) with 190k in it, very happy with it in stock form. Definitely sits more upright than a Tacoma, more comfortable on longer drivers ( for me at least) to have your legs down like a standard truck, vs out in front of you in a Tacoma (Tacoma seating position reminds me of a 90s Camaro). A plus (in my mind) for the frontiers is they stayed pretty basic over the years. Still able to do basic maintenance myself pretty easily.

ewade07

WKR
I would agree with this. If you could find one, I know Broomd had one he thought about selling, they are dang good pickups.
I have an 02 and I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it. 206k miles and running strong. Mpg is less than ideal but it’s a comfortable ride and if you get a topper for it you can throw a cot up in the back and sleep like a king. They’re great rigs and are getting harder and harder to find without a pile of miles/for a decent price.

grfox92

WKR
I wouldn't spend the money that Tacomas are going for. Many will disagree with me but they are not worth what they are selling for.

There are other very reliable vehicles from many different manufacturers that last just as long. There are vehicles that you could buy, drive until they blow up, buy a new engine and transmission, have a mechanic handle replacing it all, and still be less then the cost of the 300k mile Tacoma.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't spend the money that Tacomas are going for. Many will disagree with me but they are not worth what they are selling for.

There are other very reliable vehicles from many different manufacturers that last just as long. There are vehicles that you could buy, drive until they blow up, buy a new engine and transmission, have a mechanic handle replacing it all, and still be less then the cost of the 300k mile Tacoma.

Enlighten us, please. Tacoma obviously isn't the only option. What do you have in mind?

Maverick1

WKR

The data for compact trucks indicates otherwise.

N.ID7803

WKR
Get the Nissan and don’t look back. Toyotas use to be unstoppable, not anymore. Like others have said go find a Pro4x. I work with a lot of folks who own and have owned Toyotas and they won’t be buying another.

CorbLand

WKR
I have an 02 and I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it. 206k miles and running strong. Mpg is less than ideal but it’s a comfortable ride and if you get a topper for it you can throw a cot up in the back and sleep like a king. They’re great rigs and are getting harder and harder to find without a pile of miles/for a decent price.
01 with 196 here. It’s a good pickup and I will probably drive it for a couple more years.

Broomd

WKR
I would agree with this. If you could find one, I know Broomd had one he thought about selling, they are dang good pickups.
Corb, my neighbor pried that one from me, he loves that truck.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Frontier, especially the new '22 up model. That ProX4 looks really great...

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Tacoma all the way. I have a 03 Tacoma, bought brand new. Still rolling like a champ.