Older Tacoma or Frontier? Help me choose.

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I found this thread, I’m making the same decision right now. Im strongly leaning towards the frontier.

I understand the Toyota is technically a better truck, but the prices on used ones are crazy right now. I know Toyotas last forever and we pay a premium for that…but driving around the streets of Seattle makes me wonder how much of that premium is inflated by the “barely outdoorsy hipsters” driving Tacoma’s because they look cool.

Eyeman

FNG
I have a 2014 Taco for my rig that has done very well for me.
I lucked into a 2006 Taco with 65k original miles xtra cab 4x4 for my daughter.
Not great mpg but oh well.

With that said My buddy has like a 2010 Frontier that he has torn the dog crap out of and still going.

Yoder

WKR
You could buy a Nissan and a new engine and still be cheaper than a Toyota. I always check Carcomplaints.com and see which years have the least amount of problems before I buy anything. Looks like the years to avoid are 2005-2008 for transmission problems.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't read all the posts but after 2011 or 2012 the frontier is the way to go. Prior to that they had secondary timing chain tensioner issues and trans issues from coolant getting into trans fluid via the radiator/trans cooler. We had an 05 pathfinder years ago we put 180k miles on. Another family member has 90k on a '13 frontier.

I did the tensioners, added an aux trans cooler, crankshaft sensor and oil cooler o-ring in that time as far as repairs.

Out of all trucks made if I had to pick a couple to go 200k+ with just regular maintenance a 2012+ 4.0 frontier would be on the list. Like many Toyota drivetrains they used them so long they fixed the issues.

You get a better feeling drivetrain (more truck like torque), better seating position, rear disc's, etc with the Nissan. Can't hardly ever go wrong with a Toyota though.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I wish there was a website where only individuals sell cars. Seems like autotrader and car gurus are all dealers. Facebook marketplace is a bunch of rebuilt titles. Some of these dealer fees end up being close to $2k which is 10-15% of the list price.