Older Tacoma or Frontier? Help me choose.

I am wanting to buy an older (2010-2015) tacoma or frontier with low miles. Those of you who own or have owned either, what has your experience been?

My son turns 16 in may. Our kids don’t get their own vehicles, they are my wife and I’s and the kids get to use them. My daughter has been driving a VW Golf I picked up, she is going to college and buying my mom’s CRV. My son could continue to drive the Golf, but I thought this might be a great opportunity to pick up a little truck that my son can drive on the daily and I can take hunting occasionally. I drive a newer cummins, which I love but something lighter and more off road capable seems fun to me. Especially since I sold my ATVs a few months ago.

On a side note, if anybody has one they want to let go of, let me know :). Would prefer an extended cab so my son won’t be hauling friends everywhere.

2nd gen Tacoma will definitely work.

If I wanted an older Frontier, I would look at 2020 to 2021 to get the new engine. That probably defeats your purpose with your budget.

Taco . I think 2005 -10 had frame recall . They fixed my brothers truck free of charge . Sounds like your looking a little newer . Ive had 2 older ones . Bulletproof . No idea on the frontier. Good luck . used truck prices are stupid right now

dtrkyman

WKR
I spied a used low mile Frontier before covid, super clean and great price, kicking myself over that one now that I will need a new vehicle soon.

My dad has had 2 Frontiers, early 2000s. They are extremely gutless and had some other issues. I’m not a fan personally but don’t know how the newer ones are..

Tacoma all day if you’re keeping it long term. I currently own a 2005 4Runner, 2005 Frontier a with the V6, 2014 Land Cruiser, and a 2020 Tacoma. Prior to owning this Tacoma, I had a 2004 and 2015 Tacoma.

The Frontier isn’t a bad vehicle, but I have had to replace sensors more than once, window motors, front wheel bearing hub assemblies, and other minor things. The motor seems stronger and the Fronty has disc brakes on all corners where the Tacoma has drum on the rear. The Frontier seating sits more like a truck versus the Tacoma, which I find more comfortable than the Tacoma, which has seating similar to the 4Runner which has your butt closer to the floor and in my opinion, not as comfortable.

I had no issues out of either Tacomas nor our 4Runner that we bought new. The Tacoma has a better fit and finish inside, where the Frontier has a cheap feel to it interior wise. Long term, I feel the Tacoma is a better vehicle but you do pay a premium for it, especially used. The only reason I bought the Frontier to begin with was as a stop gap. I had gotten rid of my 2004 Tacoma and bought the Frontier used in 2011. I didn’t want to spend Tacoma money at the time because I was commuting on my motorcycle most every day (I live in GA).

Overall, you can spend less money on a Frontier but have more cost associated with keeping it up over time, or you can spend more for a Tacoma and have less upkeep. If selling at a later date, the Toyota will have a significant higher resale value.

tony

WKR
Had an 09 Tacoma 6 speed, it was ok.
Horrible mileage out of a v6
Frame rust was still an issue
More recalls than any “American” truck I’ve owned
Very easy to maintain, the 4.0 oil filter was the best idea I have ever seen.
I am interested in seeing if Toyota will keep a manual transmission in the next gen truck.

GFs dad had a frontier, and from what I know it was a pretty good truck. She pulled her small horse trailer with it. He ran the hell out of it with general maintenance
Gave it to GFs son and he ended up wrecking it.

If you go Tacoma, look at the frame real well.

OP
PredatorSlayer
Taco . I think 2005 -10 had frame recall . They fixed my brothers truck free of charge . Sounds like your looking a little newer . Ive had 2 older ones . Bulletproof . No idea on the frontier. Good luck . used truck prices are stupid right now
I was looking newer because of the frame issues. That is the only reason I went 2010 and newer.

A few years ago, I test drove a 2014 tacoma and a 2016 tacoma. I didn't like the ride of the Gen 3. The 2014 felt right but it was full of rust. I ended up going with a 2019 Ford Ranger.

Titan_Bow

WKR
A 2012 or newer Frontier is going to save you a lot of money over a Tacoma, and the chances of finding one that was “grandpas” truck that was meticulously cared for is probably a little higher lol.

My experience and comparison is SUVs However. I had a 2012 Xterra, which shared the same engine and many components as the Frontier. Unfortunately I hit a deer with it a few years ago and insurance totaled it. I put 160,000 miles on it though and never had any issues with it. I bought a new 4Runner, and it’s really nice, but I miss my Xterra. The X had more power, got better gas mileage, and was cheaper.
I test drove a new Tacoma when I bought my 4Runner and was a little disappointed with how underpowered they seem. Same with my 4Runner.
I’ve put almost a half million miles on two Nissans ( a 2004 Titan I put over 280,000 miles on) and the Xterra I put 160,000 on. I would not hesitate to buy another one. One of the only reasons I bought the 4Runner was the way my local Nissan dealer wanted to play games and not deal, while the local Toyota place was great to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a grandpa truck 2006 nissan frontier nismo crewcab with 120k, the price I paid compared to a similar tacoma is crazy. I looked for a deal on a taco but man they're just ridiculously pricey.

On thing for sure is don't expect to get the greatest mpg. My 2013 f150 got about the same.

I'd like to get back into a full size truck.
Nothing wrong with frontier, perfect for a teenager or someone looking to cruise the fire roads and gravel back roads. Very off road capable as well with the rear locker.
Just not working as a daily for me with a kid.

Not sure how much you're looking to spend or where you're located but I'd be willing to let mine go if you want to shoot me a pm. I'm currently looking at full size trucks so it's probably going to go up for sale or trade in the couple of months.

OP
PredatorSlayer
A 2012 or newer Frontier is going to save you a lot of money over a Tacoma, and the chances of finding one that was “grandpas” truck that was meticulously cared for is probably a little higher lol.

My experience and comparison is SUVs However. I had a 2012 Xterra, which shared the same engine and many components as the Frontier. Unfortunately I hit a deer with it a few years ago and insurance totaled it. I put 160,000 miles on it though and never had any issues with it. I bought a new 4Runner, and it’s really nice, but I miss my Xterra. The X had more power, got better gas mileage, and was cheaper.
I test drove a new Tacoma when I bought my 4Runner and was a little disappointed with how underpowered they seem. Same with my 4Runner.
I’ve put almost a half million miles on two Nissans ( a 2004 Titan I put over 280,000 miles on) and the Xterra I put 160,000 on. I would not hesitate to buy another one. One of the only reasons I bought the 4Runner was the way my local Nissan dealer wanted to play games and not deal, while the local Toyota place was great to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We generally prefer Toyotas. My sister drives a 2010 Pathfinder that has over 200k and all they have done is regular maintenance on it - tires, brakes, oil etc. i had a 2004 Frontier with the Super Charged V6 for a couple years and it was a fun truck. I bought it with 45k miles and only put 30k miles on it though, so no idea about long term reliability.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Traded my '16 Ram 2500 CTD (2wd) w/47k in on a 21 4wd Frontier with 6K last summer - even swap.
310 HP, no complaints whatsoever.
No way I was paying what people want for an over hyped Tacoma.