Official Montana 2024 Draw Thread

What season will you be hunting this year?

• Archery

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Both

Votes: 59 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Erict

WKR
Released tags go to individuals, not parties. Parties are only for the initial draw

That is contrary to MT FWP info found in post #345, partially quoted below:

* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the released combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a released license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

Riplip

WKR
That is contrary to MT FWP info found in post #345, partially quoted below:

* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the released combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a released license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.
This is my understanding as well. The only way a party application is broken up into individual applications is if one or more of the party's applications do not match the exactly match the organizers application, for example one person chooses a different refund option than the others.

Bcleck90

WKR
NR with 1 pp also. Drew general deer tag. I had to turn my tag in a couple years ago so looking forward to my first MT trip.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a 312 deer tag! Shocked that I was drawn.....
Also wish I would have done a little more homework on that unit and how the quality is down before I applied.
Oh well, I'm still excited and going to get after it!

I’m patiently awaiting official draw results statistics. It’s always tough to get a real feel for what statistics were in reality based off these threads. We have some people claiming they didn’t draw with 2 PP’s for general elk and we also have folks claiming they did draw with 1 point that wasn’t a released tag.

Either the people with 2 points didn’t have the points they thought or the people with 1 point got a released tag and didn’t realize it.

Regardless, anecdotally the odds for point holders did seem to improve a little this year. Being a draw statistics nerd, I can’t wait to find out. lol.

Fowl Play

WKR
I’m patiently awaiting official draw results statistics. It’s always tough to get a real feel for what statistics were in reality based off these threads. We have some people claiming they didn’t draw with 2 PP’s for general elk and we also have folks claiming they did draw with 1 point that wasn’t a released tag.

Either the people with 2 points didn’t have the points they thought or the people with 1 point got a released tag and didn’t realize it.

Regardless, anecdotally the odds for point holders did seem to improve a little this year. Being a draw statistics nerd, I can’t wait to find out. lol.
Or those who said they had 1 PP actually forgot to purchase one and had 0 PP. But yes, very curious to see the statistics based upon the stuff I’m reading online.

Just checked no special district buck mule deer or bull elk this year. At least I can still hun them elsewhere in different districts. All is not lost.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
ce5061758fb88471dae26e71b7adf8bd.jpg

Draw stats are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ce5061758fb88471dae26e71b7adf8bd.jpg

Draw stats are out.

Called it!

2 point odds improved from slightly this year. As f$cked up as MT FWP is, their preference points system is the best for the end user. Turns out when you make people apply every year or lose their points, the system works as intended. Colorado and Wyoming should be paying attention, but then again they will never let that cash cow Ponzi scheme die.

Additionally, approximately 1500 less applicants this year, an indication that the western hunting bubble is bursting slightly, which is good. Turns out elk hunting is hard, time consuming, and not exactly what it looks like on instagram.

With only around 850 2 point holders that didn’t draw, that means we shouldn’t see nearly as many 3 point holders going into the draw in 2025 as we have seen the past 2 years. 2 point draw odds will likely improve again next year.

It’s not all doom and gloom!

Called it!

2 point odds improved from slightly this year. As f$cked up as MT FWP is, their preference points system is the best for the end user. Turns out when you make people apply every year or lose their points, the system works as intended. Colorado and Wyoming should be paying attention, but then again they will never let that cash cow Ponzi scheme die.

Additionally, approximately 1500 less applicants this year, an indication that the western hunting bubble is bursting slightly, which is good. Turns out elk hunting is hard, time consuming, and not exactly what it looks like on instagram.

With only around 850 2 point holders that didn’t draw, that means we shouldn’t see nearly as many 3 point holders going into the draw in 2025 as we have seen the past 2 years. 2 point draw odds will likely improve again next year.

It’s not all doom and gloom!

I disagree. I didn’t draw so it is gloomy over here.

Scottf270

WKR
Definitely shows a drop in applicants overall and an encouraging trend to those who want to hunt Montana every year. Stops the insane points build up.

We have drawn deer combo with one point two years in a row. Those with 3 points will be at a multi year low next year. I like it!!