Non big four or five name brand hunting pants?

Another vote for Microtex and the Prana Stretch Zion. Haven't tried the Renegades yet. Gumbo nailed it, the Microtex grabs burs like no other so you'll regret wearing them through a bur patch or anywhere in the foothills of CA during deer season. I to am fretting the day I wear out my light version as the regulars are much thicker.

I had a pair of the Eddie Bauer pro guides for a while, but they fit me like a pair of womens low rise pants. Too bad because they are very nice pants and I actually prefer the cargo pockets on these to the Zion.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
There are two types of renegade pants, klassic fit are the ones I would get for hunting. I've had a pair for four years and hunt 90% of the time in them. Damn good pants for the money.

For years I bought $2 to $5 wool dress pants at Salvation Army or St Vincent dePaul Thrift stores. They fit well, were quiet and you could get them in greys or light browns. Plaids were often available too........if you can stand the look they made good camo! I'd wash them hot if they were too long and shrink them. They are the ultimate cheap hunting pants in my view and served me from Colorado to Alaska. I don't use them much anymore but if you are on a budget and not too proud to go shopping, they make good pants!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
microtex is ok in hot weather with no rain.

heavy fleece it ok with no rain too. but the fleece though, warm , will not dry like wool.

That's a good thing. After shaking the water out of the fleece, you can wear them while the wool is taking its time to dry.

And I actually prefer the regular Microtex for cooler weather, it's ok in hot weather but not great like the Lite version is. But both dry much quicker than wool does.

OP
Thanks guys, guess will have to watch and see if the bauer guides ever go on sale?
In the mean time I think i might try a pair of the zions since they are on sale now.

mlob1one

WKR
EB has sales all the time. You can frequently find them for 40% off and twice a year they go on sale for 60% off. Also if you pm me I can get you a discount for 20% anything through the end of next month.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for zions, you can usually get them on Amazon for $50-60, if they don't fit amazon is good for returns.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good old Army-Navy lightweight wool slacks. Not the heavy stuff, but about the thickness of light denim. Wore them for years. Hard to beat for $20.

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
Propper STL II, for hunting I like them better then my Eddie Bauer first accent guide pants. Just wish they had a better color selection.

Lindley

FNG
Prana Zion for $75 on the web. Have Kuhl Renegades as well and prefer the Prana Zion pants for the quieter material and better fit. Both dry super fast. You can definitely wear them for more than just hunting too. I know I do.