No tire chains on rental trucks?

Scrubbuck

FNG
Rented an suv for 2nd rifle this year. I asked the nice lady if they had chains available as an accessory? She told me that chaining the tires was not allowed.... with that said, can i find chains for sale pretty easily around Denver? I never used them before so not sure how tire specific they are and if it’s something that has to be ordered. By me here in NJ nothing’s in stock in any auto store and I just don’t want to assume I’ll have my pick of them when I get there.

For this situation, I’d look at the single use zip tie style “chains.” Real chains are tire specific and don’t come cheap.

SUV's for the most part keep becoming more car and less truck every year. I'd see if it's possible to rent a truck instead if you think you might hit bad conditions. I keep driving my 98 Suburban because the newer big SUV's all seem to have less ground clearance, less tire clearance in the wheel wells, and worse approach and exit angles.

Poser will definitely look at the zip tie option. Mtmuley I was planning on buying them for the truck at home too and entertaining my neighbors while I practice with them here in 90 degree weather. More so just looking if the Walmart’s out there have Everything I need on the shelf. Mcseal2... I appreciate the advice and was torn about that. I was renting a Ford Expedition so I could sleep in it. I am only bringing a solo tipi with me to spike so I figured the suv would give me something extra when the mt. beats my butt... I may rethink it.

Years ago the tire shop Les Schwab used to rent chains. I'm not sure if they still do or if there is a store around Denver but it may be worth looking into.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Since the rental agreement likely prohibits the driving of a rental car on dirt and gravel roads, I do not think they would look favorably on any type of chains.

Poser will definitely look at the zip tie option. Mtmuley I was planning on buying them for the truck at home too and entertaining my neighbors while I practice with them here in 90 degree weather. More so just looking if the Walmart’s out there have Everything I need on the shelf. Mcseal2... I appreciate the advice and was torn about that. I was renting a Ford Expedition so I could sleep in it. I am only bringing a solo tipi with me to spike so I figured the suv would give me something extra when the mt. beats my butt... I may rethink it.

If your needing to chain up an Expedition you are already way over what the vehicle will handle, not sure about newer Expeditions but most don't have clearance for chains. Best get the best insurance you can if you plan on taking the rig anywhere chains might be required. I would check into any insurance outs the company may have written into the contract as chains will probably void an insurance if you do damage with chains on and you never know when a chain will come loose and tear things up. Even if you rent a pickup I'm sure they don't want there pickup out in 4x4 country.

Ok so let’s say I am not worried about the rental car... I’ve checked the extra insurance box... put it on the Amex... which btw gives you all the insurance you need. I’m just looking to see if it’s a need to order and wait a few days item like it is in NJ or if you guys have seen them on the shelf at autozone or walmart. I appreciate all the responses.

My mom has a newer Expedition. It does not do well off road, Dad and I have taken it a few places it's probably good Mom doesn't know we went. Usually checking heifers on the way home from something we drove it to. We haven't got it stuck but have to be darn careful not to. It's more of an on road rig. I wish they still made Excursions.

Thanks again to all. Looks like I’ll switch to the f150 based on what a few are saying about the expedition. I am planning on not going further than gravel county roads but figured 2nd rifle may have some snow. God bless and good luck with your hunts!

Ok so let’s say I am not worried about the rental car... I’ve checked the extra insurance box... put it on the Amex... which btw gives you all the insurance you need. I’m just looking to see if it’s a need to order and wait a few days item like it is in NJ or if you guys have seen them on the shelf at autozone or walmart. I appreciate all the responses.

Most rental agreements void coverage from insurance you purchase through them if you violate certain terms of the agreement. The below has a very broad coverage exclusion, so you may want to read the fine print with Amex as well.

From Avis:
Prohibited Use of the Car. Certain uses of the car and other things you or a driver may do, or fail to do, will violate this Agreement and, in addition to anything else may cause us to cancel your enrollment in Avis Preferred. A VIOLATION OF THIS PARAGRAPH, WILL AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATE YOUR RENTAL, and IS AN EXCLUSION TO AND VOIDS ALL LIABILITY PROTECTION AND ANY OPTIONAL SERVICES THAT YOU HAVE ACCEPTED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ADDITIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, PERSONAL EFFECTS PROTECTION, EXTENDED ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, EMERGENCY SICKNESS PROTECTION AND LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER OR PARTIAL DAMAGE WAIVER. IT ALSO MAKES YOU LIABLE TO US FOR ALL PENALTIES, FINES, FORFEITURES, LIENS AND RECOVERY AND STORAGE COSTS, INCLUDING ALL RELATED LEGAL EXPENSES, FEES AND COSTS THAT WE MAY INCUR.

If you are cool with the "you broke it, you bought it" angle, you might just call an Autozone near where you intend to pick up the rental car and check on tire chain availability.

We use Rugged Rental. Fly into Salt Lake instead of Denver. They don’t complain about actually using a 4x4.

Wal Mart isn't going to have them. Most farm/ranch stores, Runnings, TSC, etc will carry a limited selection. I doubt you would find anyone that stocks them for an Expedition. You should be able to find a set for an F150, do not put them on the fronts, there isn't room in the wheel well and you will tear the #$%^ out of stuff. They are sold/sized based on the size of the tire.

Make sure you know how to get them on correctly. One comes off and you will tear the @^%# out of things.

Is it common to need chains where you’re going?

I’ve made a lot of dumb decisions in rental cars but never planned on needing chains :)

Is it common to need chains where you’re going?

He's going hunting during 2nd rifle........of course it's common to need/use chains. I needed and used chains every single year I used to hunt the 2nd or later rifle seasons in CO.

I remember one year......maybe 1990 when it rained for two days straight where I was going hunting. Then the day I arrived it turned to snow. When I got to the 4wd road I needed to go up right off the county road, there were several vehicles (all out of state plates) all parked at the bottom. I stopped and asked what they were doing. Some guy said they all wanted to go up that road but were unsuccessful. About that time I looked up the hill and here comes a Suburban sliding down that hill sideways.......across the road........and down the other side where there was no road. Nobody had chains.

So I chained up all four on my Toyota and drove up that road. Didn't see another soul up there that entire week.

Its smart to be prepared for anything. Some colorado units can be savagely clayey when it rains/snows. In 8 years of hunting 2-4 seasons a year in CO Ive only needed chains once and that was fourth season by Meeker. What area you headed to? You can always buy some cable chains for the rear tires and return them if you dont use them. I have any extra set of bar chains from my F250 that I would loan you if you want to go that route.

Back