Rental trucks off road

Turo has been great so far for my friend who rents 4x4's for his out of state hunts.

He is up front with the owner before renting, asking if it's ok to drive on forest roads and always had them say yes so far.

s

Turo has been great to me so far, probably a dozen trips. I always tell them when I book I’m hunting, if I’m crossing state lines, and I’ll be on dirt/gravel roads. I do imagine if something goes wrong, it could go real wrong depending on host. I try to only rent from top “hosts” that have a lot of trips and multiple cars.

I am afraid Turo is going to go the way of AirBnB. When airbnb came out it was great and way less than hotels but now it’s swapped where they are rarely a better deal. State/airport taxes have caught up to Turo, and fees are increasing.

I’m interested in Turo. Obviously I need to check the specifics of my own insurance coverage, but I believe I read somewhere that my rental insurance probably wouldn’t extend to that service and I would probably need to purchase insurance directly through Touro. Anything to that?
Progressive said that your liability and comp/collision will carry over from your personal policy, but it doesn't cover theft, doesn't cover pickup trucks, uhaul, vans, etc.. Only cars or suv's.
There wasn't a specific mention of Turo compared to other rental companies in their system.
At least that's what some nice overseas lady told me!

I think the contract on a rental also says to observe all traffic laws. So, no speeding? Yea right. Those things are only in there to charge you more $$ if you are caught violating them.

Kurts86

WKR
I think the enterprise language is something to the effect of “No driving off public roads” so forest service and BLM roads are good.

I like to rent jeep wranglers from enterprise for hunts because it’s the only car class you can reliably get what you asked for. I just take them through a car wash on the way back to take some extra heat off upon return.

Read about a guy that rented a small suv with the extra insurance for bird hunting. Was driving through some fields with grass over a few days. It was very dry and the catalytic converter got covered some wheat/grass Chaffe etc. As it was very dry it started a dust fire and the car burned up.

Due to it being off road, hard to move it without being caught on a burned truck lol, they denied his rental insurance claim as did his car insurance.

Responsible for the whole vehicle replacement cost.

I have done it as well. All good unless something bad happens.

Thoff1989

Lil-Rokslider
I've rented quite a few cars through the years for work and never new about the off pavement thing, I do know you aren't supposed to tow with a rental tho 😅

I may or may not have accidentally taken a rental F-250 off of a Dukes of Hazzard style jump in the Mojave desert while in the dust plume of someone I was following too close. Luckily I drove away with no obvious damage. Side note: This is why I would never buy a rental vehicle.

I doubt the off road thing is enforced at all unless you happen to get it stuck and need their assistance or bring it back trashed.