Rental trucks off road

TreeDux

FNG
Last February I had an interesting experience with Enterprise in El Paso. I rented an suv for my quail and javelina extravaganza in NM. It’s midnight at the airport rental lot, truck loaded and the last thing the girl says as she hands me the keys is “remember, no driving off road!” Dumbfounded I asked for clarification and she said something about dirt roads in the desert. I never heard that restriction before but it was too late to change then. Now looking forward to Wyoming antelope in October I want to avoid that issue. Has anyone else run into this and what rental companies are more accommodating these days?

WMag338

WKR
I had this situation in NM last year. I had a rental Tacoma with slick tires and no floor mats from a Budge or Hertz or one of the big name rental company’s. With slick tires, I had to hit every wet spot wide open to make it through. Dogged the hell outta that truck. Inside was filthy because it didn’t have any floor mats. Even got it stuck and had to call a wrecker to pull me out. I did the best I could cleaning it at a quarter car wash. In the end, they sent me a nastygram that they were charging my card $200 for it being so nasty. I had no qualms with that.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, at the end of our honeymoon we read the fine print on our rental agreement and saw the "No driving off paved roads" stipulation.

Pretty amazing we were able to spend two weeks traveling all over Wyoming and never hit a gravel road. 😐

A good buddy of mine was quail hunting in southern NM where we grew up. He took his SxS up a pretty nasty old volcano, super chunky with sharp rocks and very slow crawl even in a SxS. He got to the top and a couple of guys were parked there in a minivan. My buddy asked “how in the hell did you get here?” They replied “oh you can get anywhere in a rental car.”

All the major rental companies have that same stipulation, I’ve been a National/enterprise super renter for a couple years. As long as I brought the vehicle back with minimal dirt and no scratches or dents I was never asked any questions.

Gutshotem

WKR
The last time we were in aruba we rented a jeep wrangler. There was a specific bold section in the agreement that I had to sign off on that prohibited the renter from driving to the natural pool. I pulled out of the rental lot and drove directly to the natural pool. I guess if I had gotten stuck or broke something, they woulda came after me for some extra money.

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
I’ve taken a few rentals to questionable locations but always try to bring them back in relatively decent shape. My biggest concern these days would relate to gps tracking in those vehicles and the prospect of getting an unexpected bill for the off road driving. It’s hard enough to even get a 4wd truck anymore and you pay through the nose but if this is pretty standard I guess we’ll just roll with it.

tony

WKR
Rented a car for our big trip out west in June. Toyota Corolla Cross, similar to a Rav 4.
Going to a park my GF decided Apple maps was smarter than a manly paper map. We did what had to be 20 miles over a back country desert road in North Arizona. She was scared shitless as she drove. :ROFLMAO:
Day of return the car was dusty, dirty, and we started our own desert in the floor boards.
Found a car wash with vacuums and cleaned the car for $10.00. They gave me 2 free armor all wipes as well.
Pulled in nice and shiny, nothing said.

rideold

WKR
Yea, I've always approached the rental care agreement with a grain of salt (or dirt :) ). Full insurance does wonders for the rental company to turn a blind eye. I have a credit card that gives me primary insurance on a rental and even that has some odd stipulations like "no open bed vehichles, no SUV, etc.)

Jethro

WKR
If you ever get a rental Tahoe around southern NM, check the front air dam. May be held on with 2 sided tape ;)

We’ve rented quite a few vehicles for our trips. Never had an employee tell us outright no dirt roads. Doubt we ever read the fine print. We don’t take them rock crawling or through mud sippy holes, but always drive them on dirt. Just hit the car wash on way to return.

def90

WKR
Last February I had an interesting experience with Enterprise in El Paso. I rented an suv for my quail and javelina extravaganza in NM. It’s midnight at the airport rental lot, truck loaded and the last thing the girl says as she hands me the keys is “remember, no driving off road!” Dumbfounded I asked for clarification and she said something about dirt roads in the desert. I never heard that restriction before but it was too late to change then. Now looking forward to Wyoming antelope in October I want to avoid that issue. Has anyone else run into this and what rental companies are more accommodating these days?

How would they know? And if there is no damage what does it matter?

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
How would they know? And if there is no damage what does it matter?
With the GPS technology, they can tell where their vehicle is at any given time, and with a little more effort can see pretty much everywhere you drove while you had it. And as far as why it should matter, I’ve personally never thought that it should. Rental agencies don’t always agree with my thoughts however.

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, that stipulation has been in the agreements for decades. I've rented twice in wyoming from a major rental company, and both times the guy at the desk told me explicitly to have fun hunting, watch out for the mud (slippery), etc--they knew full well exactly where we were taking it and didnt care in the least. I honestly dont think they care as long as you return it cleanish and rentable. Last time the truck we picked up was absolutely caked with dried mud underneath--stuff was like concrete, and they even pointed it out. But boy, if you damage their vehicle and they can find a way to charge you for it--including maximum price of lost rental for the entire duration of the time they take to liesurely get it fixed, as well as charging for their time to do paperwork, arrange repair, etc--they are going to make it HURT. A lot. (i.e. even if you get the no-questions-asked damage waiver, they still wont pay if you broke their rules, and your insurance might not either...) Best to check what your insurance will cover given that rule, and not trash the vehicle somewhere that isn't plausibly deniable.

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
This ^^ and it's usually cheaper than a rental car company anyways. Been great for me! Just pay attention to mileage maximums.
I’m interested in Turo. Obviously I need to check the specifics of my own insurance coverage, but I believe I read somewhere that my rental insurance probably wouldn’t extend to that service and I would probably need to purchase insurance directly through Touro. Anything to that?