No Big Game Tags Drawn, is this normal?

OP
A
In a lot of states they check everyone’s first choice first the 2nd and so on. So after your 1st choice your odds decrease dramatically. Not the case in every state but a lot of them are done this way and may be one of the reasons you didn’t draw any tags.
Ahh, in Nevada it’s different but that is good to realize about other states

Ahh, in Nevada it’s different but that is good to realize about other state
Wyoming works in that manner though. Definitely recommend applying in more states if you want tags every year. Writing out a 5 year or 10 year application plan with back ups for point creep has helped me a lot and keeps away the last minute decisions

Hello, I am somewhat of an "adult-onset" hunter and last year was the first year I hunted any big game.

For this year, I applied for a lot of tags (Deer, antelope, bear, and turkey) in my home state of Nevada, both any legal weapon and where possible, muzzleloader, and I also applied for antelope tags in Wyoming, both buck and doe.

I put hours of research into which units to apply for, since both states allow more than just a 1st choice, I picked a highly desirable unit as my first choice (in terms of average number of points people who drew tags for that unit last year had), but was careful to pick some units that seemed more realistic as my alternate choices.

I knew my chances of drawing a tag in any one unit for any particular species were obviously below 100%, but with the numerous units and species I applied for, I had been optimistic I would get at least one tag for something somewhere.

But Wyoming antelope draw results came out today..... and I was totally unsuccessful in both state's draws.

Is this normal these days to be unable to hunt a deer or any other big game animal annually?

Of course there is fishing and some small game that doesn't require tags, but before I started to get into hunting, I was under the impression a big game hunter would be able to get a deer or other big game animal at least once a year, and keep red meat in the freezer that way.

Is that notion totally outdated now the human population has grown a lot and wildlife habitat decreased?

Or did I just get really unlucky this year?
your yearly contribution to wildlife conservation!!! I applied for NV, ID, and Mt... didn't draw much of anything besides the MT which was 60% draw odds... hunting is expensive... that is all I have to warn you about. if you want to have success as a "newbie" start small. states like Idaho and Montana offer over-the-counter white-tailed deer doe tage and black bear tags. buying these is a surefire way to be successful.

Mojave

WKR
Wyoming works in that manner though. Definitely recommend applying in more states if you want tags every year. Writing out a 5 year or 10 year application plan with back ups for point creep has helped me a lot and keeps away the last minute decisions
This is important.

though my 5 year plan turned into a 10-15 year plan for Utah.

Weldor

WKR
Lots of stats on here, we need a stat on how many new hunters quit after a few years of not drawing etc. Most state game and fish or DNR have posted that hunter numbers are way down. Seems like alot either mis information or confusion ? on there part. That said no body said it would be easy to draw tags every year. Sadly I can remember the days of buying a Coues tag over the counter for December hunts , they used to very under persribed way back.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'm not sure who this was aimed at, but there are some very good resources out there. Probably have to wade through some bullshit to find it.

Also, a basic understanding of probability statistics doesn't hurt.
Probability statistics = I probably won’t draw anything

Do I understand it right?

go_deep

WKR
I applied for 9 licenses in Wyoming as a resident, I drew 0. I will get to buy a general elk licenses so not all hope is lost.
Good luck on figuring out a plan and getting a license in the future.

Supply in this instance isn’t the tag. It’s the actual availability of the tag. Demand has outpaced the actual availability of the tags, that’s why point systems were created. Point creep is further evident to the demand outpacing the actual availability. The explosion of western hunting pushed by profiteers (modern day market hunters) has further increased the demand.

In this case price most certainly can affect supply. Officials for the state of Wyoming raised the price of special tags to combat demand. Landowners and tag brokers are continuing to jack up their prices for tags… why? Demand is out pacing supply.

Aren’t Uncle Randy and Corey supposed to be putting more elk on the mountain with RMEF? All I can figure that they really do is decrease draw odds, hunt for a living, and help RMEF have fancy banquets that get a bunch of chubby boomers drunk to sell merch. Tag numbers haven’t increased in any meaningful way anywhere. Sure there’s some hobby herds that have popped up but that’s really because they’re cash cows for the State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supply and demand is for market equilibrium.

Do not confuse demand with popularity and the price for tags is never set for equilibrium.

It's not the same thing. Point systems are all about "fairness" for those who have applied the longest. Nothing more.

Is this normal these days to be unable to hunt a deer or any other big game animal annually?
If you are willing to drive east of the Mississippi River there are plenty of opportunities for you to kill many deer as NR. For example, in Alabama in some places you can kill a deer a day. In Georgia the limit is 12 (10 antlerless and 2 antlered) per season. No draws or pref pts needed.

You can draw Elk/Deer/Pronghorn every year in WY. You can hunt OTC in OR and CO. Tags might cost more than you want and some years you might be hunting females but you can absolutely hunt multiple species every single year.
May not be easy or trophies, but it's possible.

Stalker69

WKR
I haven’t drawn a tag in four years, now it’s more of a point buying process, and hope to live long enough to “ enjoy” them.

ColoradoV

WKR
I drew nothin and pretty much or only hunt one state as I don't have enough time w how I hunt to scout other states.

With that said I have drew 1 tag in the past 4 years and I pry "hunt" more than most.. Or I have been fortunate enough to have hunted every single year as I will this year in places that it takes folks 5-10 years to draw.. Father will hunt this year same way. My wife did draw a fun mule deer hut his year. So our family drew 1 tag total this year.....

I am thankful for a good network of friends/ranchers/hunters who I am willing to help and they do the same for me..

Many ways to skin a cat and it has taken a lifetime to get and keep these relationships = good luck to you all in the "draws"....

Last edited:

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
On years I don’t get tags, I just hunt the hell out of birds. Which is still fun. Now that my boys are of legal hunting age, that will up my “hunting” too, even though I won’t be a trigger puller.

There is always predator calling too.