New Sevr Hybrid

MuleyBuck

FNG
After a few terrible experiences with elk, I thought, well, they should do fine on smaller animals. Shot a buck with a SEVR 2.0 and he ran about 150 yards and laid down and I thought it was over. Only about 5” of the arrow exited, so I could see fletchings on one side and broadhead on the other. After about 5 minutes, he stands up and walks over the hill.

After about a half hour, I walked over there hoping he’d be dead, and he was nowhere to be found and there was no blood. Being pretty open and steep draws, I finally located him and he took off running another half mile and laid down. I tried to use topography to get into range and peak over but he was in a tough spot and the wind shifted and he ran another half mile. This time the arrow fell out and I thought that would help him bleed.

He laid down in the middle of a wide open field. With his head facing away from me, I tried to sneak in again. Just as I started to get in range, he turned his head and this time ran about 1.5 miles.

Closest I could get after that was 120 yards and he just kept going and going. Finally after 7 hours of chasing and close to 6 or 7 miles, he went onto private and out of sight.

I get that the shot was a touch forward and a touch high… but still, thought it would do it especially after 7 hours of running.

I’ve never had a good experience with a SEVR and put them in quite a few animals. I try to talk all my friends out of shooting them, especially at elk.

Last edited:

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
After a few terrible experiences with elk, I thought, well, they should do fine on smaller animals. Shot this buck with a SEVR 2.0 and he ran about 150 yards and laid down and I thought it was over. Only about 5” of the arrow exited, so I could see fletchings on one side and broadhead on the other. After about 5 minutes, he stands up and walks over the hill.

After about a half hour, I walked over there hoping he’d be dead, and he was nowhere to be found and there was no blood. Being pretty open and steep draws, I finally located him and he took off running another half mile and laid down. I tried to use topography to get into range and peak over but he was in a tough spot and the wind shifted and he ran another half mile. This time the arrow fell out and I thought that would help him bleed.

He laid down in the middle of a wide open field. With his head facing away from me, I tried to sneak in again. Just as I started to get in range, he turned his head and this time ran about 1.5 miles.

Closest I could get after that was 120 yards and he just kept going and going. Finally after 7 hours of chasing and close to 6 or 7 miles, he went onto private and out of sight.

I get that the shot was a touch forward and a touch high… but still, thought it would do it especially after 7 hours of running.

I’ve never had a good experience with a SEVR and put them in quite a few animals. I try to talk all my friends out of shooting them, especially at elk.
Thats the “not-so-dead” zone my friend. Right through neck meat in front of the backstrap it looks to me.

I shot this bull frontal and i’ve only seen a couple of animals die faster with bullets. Literally pin wheeled this guy and he expired in sight 30 yds down hill.IMG_6807.jpegIMG_6804.jpeg

TripleJ

WKR
After a few terrible experiences with elk, I thought, well, they should do fine on smaller animals. Shot this buck with a SEVR 2.0 and he ran about 150 yards and laid down and I thought it was over. Only about 5” of the arrow exited, so I could see fletchings on one side and broadhead on the other. After about 5 minutes, he stands up and walks over the hill.

I am not discounting your bad experiences in any way, but in the pic you posted, that looks like a backstrap/neck muscle shot, depending on the angle. I would expect that to be non-fatal judging by the picture, but I could be 100% wrong.

My experiences with Sevr are:
-1 turkey that went about 15 yds (2.0)
-1 blacktail buck that I hit poorly (hindquarter), he wheeled at the shot. He made it 40 yds, crazy bloodtrail (2.0)
-1 blacktail buck that I lost, frontal shot that I'm pretty sure didn't penetrate the ribcage, maybe skipped along outside the ribs. I spent a lot of time looking for him, never found him, so I don't know. Didn't bleed much, never bedded, so I know it didn't make it into the vitals. I don't know if that was the broadhead or me, I blame it on me. (2.0)

I have quite a few Sevr's left in my broadhead stock, but I do not carry them in my quiver anymore. I've seen enough questionable results; my mind isn't settled on the design. Between tips curling and the pivoting design, I think there is definite room for improvement. I will probably just save the rest for turkeys. Every broadhead you choose has positives and negatives, and those positives/negatives often vary based on where you hit the animal. I had a great result on my elk last year with an original Rage Trypan, I usually carry one of those and an assortment of Grim Reapers/QAD Exodus in my quiver now days.

Last edited: