New Sevr Hybrid

MuleyBuck

FNG
After a few terrible experiences with elk, I thought, well, they should do fine on smaller animals. Shot a buck with a SEVR 2.0 and he ran about 150 yards and laid down and I thought it was over. Only about 5” of the arrow exited, so I could see fletchings on one side and broadhead on the other. After about 5 minutes, he stands up and walks over the hill.

After about a half hour, I walked over there hoping he’d be dead, and he was nowhere to be found and there was no blood. Being pretty open and steep draws, I finally located him and he took off running another half mile and laid down. I tried to use topography to get into range and peak over but he was in a tough spot and the wind shifted and he ran another half mile. This time the arrow fell out and I thought that would help him bleed.

He laid down in the middle of a wide open field. With his head facing away from me, I tried to sneak in again. Just as I started to get in range, he turned his head and this time ran about 1.5 miles.

Closest I could get after that was 120 yards and he just kept going and going. Finally after 7 hours of chasing and close to 6 or 7 miles, he went onto private and out of sight.

I get that the shot was a touch forward and a touch high… but still, thought it would do it especially after 7 hours of running.

I’ve never had a good experience with a SEVR and put them in quite a few animals. I try to talk all my friends out of shooting them, especially at elk.

Last edited:
After a few terrible experiences with elk, I thought, well, they should do fine on smaller animals. Shot this buck with a SEVR 2.0 and he ran about 150 yards and laid down and I thought it was over. Only about 5” of the arrow exited, so I could see fletchings on one side and broadhead on the other. After about 5 minutes, he stands up and walks over the hill.

After about a half hour, I walked over there hoping he’d be dead, and he was nowhere to be found and there was no blood. Being pretty open and steep draws, I finally located him and he took off running another half mile and laid down. I tried to use topography to get into range and peak over but he was in a tough spot and the wind shifted and he ran another half mile. This time the arrow fell out and I thought that would help him bleed.

He laid down in the middle of a wide open field. With his head facing away from me, I tried to sneak in again. Just as I started to get in range, he turned his head and this time ran about 1.5 miles.

Closest I could get after that was 120 yards and he just kept going and going. Finally after 7 hours of chasing and close to 6 or 7 miles, he went onto private and out of sight.

I get that the shot was a touch forward and a touch high… but still, thought it would do it especially after 7 hours of running.

I’ve never had a good experience with a SEVR and put them in quite a few animals. I try to talk all my friends out of shooting them, especially at elk.
Thats the “not-so-dead” zone my friend. Right through neck meat in front of the backstrap it looks to me.

I shot this bull frontal and i’ve only seen a couple of animals die faster with bullets. Literally pin wheeled this guy and he expired in sight 30 yds down hill.IMG_6807.jpegIMG_6804.jpeg

TripleJ

WKR
After a few terrible experiences with elk, I thought, well, they should do fine on smaller animals. Shot this buck with a SEVR 2.0 and he ran about 150 yards and laid down and I thought it was over. Only about 5” of the arrow exited, so I could see fletchings on one side and broadhead on the other. After about 5 minutes, he stands up and walks over the hill.

I am not discounting your bad experiences in any way, but in the pic you posted, that looks like a backstrap/neck muscle shot, depending on the angle. I would expect that to be non-fatal judging by the picture, but I could be 100% wrong.

My experiences with Sevr are:
-1 turkey that went about 15 yds (2.0)
-1 blacktail buck that I hit poorly (hindquarter), he wheeled at the shot. He made it 40 yds, crazy bloodtrail (2.0)
-1 blacktail buck that I lost, frontal shot that I'm pretty sure didn't penetrate the ribcage, maybe skipped along outside the ribs. I spent a lot of time looking for him, never found him, so I don't know. Didn't bleed much, never bedded, so I know it didn't make it into the vitals. I don't know if that was the broadhead or me, I blame it on me. (2.0)

I have quite a few Sevr's left in my broadhead stock, but I do not carry them in my quiver anymore. I've seen enough questionable results; my mind isn't settled on the design. Between tips curling and the pivoting design, I think there is definite room for improvement. I will probably just save the rest for turkeys. Every broadhead you choose has positives and negatives, and those positives/negatives often vary based on where you hit the animal. I had a great result on my elk last year with an original Rage Trypan, I usually carry one of those and an assortment of Grim Reapers/QAD Exodus in my quiver now days.

Last edited:

jid2

FNG
I had a good experience elk hunting with the Hybrid 1.5 at 100 grains. The shot I had was at 65 yards, so I grabbed the Sevr from the quiver instead of the Iron Will wide. Shot was broadside and uphill at 63 with the cut. Came in on the front leg, went through top of heart and both lungs and the hybrid tip was poking out the far side. Bull only went 30 yards up the hill before rolling back down.

30" draw length, 70 lbs, shooting a 435g arrow at about 290 ft/s

Attachments

• 3c089a49-8bb6-4dd9-b1ae-5ff8d1078e16.jpg
    3c089a49-8bb6-4dd9-b1ae-5ff8d1078e16.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 5fcf6e03-31f4-4cd1-9ed9-b2cda9edaf56.jpeg
    5fcf6e03-31f4-4cd1-9ed9-b2cda9edaf56.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 49299704-396e-4a63-87cc-2e7f1f8f7ede.jpeg
    49299704-396e-4a63-87cc-2e7f1f8f7ede.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 2
  • c7d1ad84-f80f-4c65-b18f-84511c83e64f.jpg