New rules on posting spots? Really Rokslide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

WKR
I know a fella that will muddy the water by posting the worst information possible. Sending everyone to the busiest place, with no water and no animals. Wasting them days of hunting that could have been avoided if they did their own research. Be careful of internet advice.
This is the way.

You mean like this elk/bear spot?

43.73684° N, 111.86705° W

Geewhiz

WKR
Same boat; work hard, limited pto, limited money. Drew a tag and am starting to sit on my computer and whine about not being able to benefit off the work other people put in to prepare.
FIFY

You obviously have no idea what it takes to find success year after year and how valuable that kind of information is to the guys that do put in the work. If you did you wouldn't be sitting here asking for handouts and then whining about it when people call you out.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe not a ton. But a multiple posts like it across the internet and then 20 of those 140 tag holders reading and buying into the same input results in a lesser experience for them all in addition to the people who already had those ideas before they were posted online.
So it goes. Don’t think there is a good way of preventing this as a whole. Unit demand will fluctuate.
I see your point; but i think there are many other factors, tools, etc having a much much higher impact.

intunegp

WKR
Thank you. I appreciate your stance.

Especially since you’re from Texas. I’m assuming if you do any elk hunting; it would be out of state. Many people in the same boat, traveling to enjoy the opportunity. And is asking for help / advice or providing support such a bad thing? I think not.

Some additional info on your suggestion. The tag I drew is unit specific. And, many tags are these days. But Unit was deemed a “spot” and against the rules. I can't really zoom out. For example if I were to ask about western idaho; there is too much variation between units and terrain. For example i’ve hunted an otc unit bordering this unit. Im familiar with the country, but don’t know about factors like season timing, pressure, etc. and if I cant ask about a unit, i almost certainly cannot ask about a particular wilderness or mt range in that unit.

And not necessarily related to your comment, but My point kinda being; whats a spot? Can’t talk about specific units or tags. Why not call whole states a “spot”.
Why not ban hunting pictures? After all it increases interest in hunting and leads to more pressure. I just think this kind of action is more harmful to us as hunters in the long run.

You can't ask for unit specific advice. That's the rule. I don't see how you think this could/would/should lead to the end of all hunting discussion. If anyone who logged onto this forum could find detailed discussion about the best trailhead in a given unit to walk in and find elk, you'd be waiting in line there like it was Disney World.

Hunting is way more than showing up, finding an animal, and killing it. There's lots more that goes into it and technology and the internet only make it easier and easier for people who don't want to put in the work of scouting, learning, and experiencing failure in the field.

I think there's a fair and good balance of discussion here. You can learn as much as you reasonably should expect to learn about hunting without going on the hunt and experiencing it for yourself.

Reactions: OMB
OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
tag numbers, available public land, access points, maps, harvest percentages, and herd numbers are all public information. Spots should remain secret to protect the dedicated ones who found them.
What’s short sighted is appeasing people who want to short cut the process of an already difficult experience.
Whats a spot?

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
This ain't even the most Floridian thing I have see all week.

It's not censorship, it's just the rules to play here. The fact that people want to complain about it and call it that really does show just how good we have it.

Like a post a week would have you well into WKR territory.
Well thanks to all the people commenting. I’ll have lots to reply to. I’ll get to my 100 comments real quick now.

And good thing too. Cause it will all be productive, intelligent conversation from here on out.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just an FYI google searches bring up hunting forums quite often the top result. So when you type elk hunting in Idaho unit Xx now everyone and their sister’s cousin can see that thread, spot burning is 1000 percent real and can be slowed or stopped by folks who run this page and disallow specific info in specific units being blasted all over the webs… sound like you need to be creative and ask better questions.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
Respecfully, it’s hard to comment in a constructive way when the OP is so obviously butthurt and whining. Also, judging from the time it was posted, the OP was likely the result of a couple-too-many old fashioned’s after work.

Give butthurt, receive butthurt. OP could have questioned the rule in a constructive way if they so chose, instead they crap-talked the forums and called everyone liberals. Even saying that it’s dumb he’s still a FNG because he’s been here for years just…Not contributing.

I could ask this same question in a constructive manner in a week after this blows over and nobody would give me a hard time.

As I have learned so many thousands of times in life, *what* you say matters little, *how* you say it is everything. OP started off with nothing but negativity, nobody can be surprised that most of the replies are “less than nice”.
+1 on the too many after work!

Agreed that it came across as winny. But because it comes from a place of something I care about. But “butthurt” is not a good word. Just calling out that this seems dumb. So once i get to 100 comments this just goes away? So should fng’s just start by bumping 100 posts?

Just seems so short sighted to me. Can we not complain about the rules? Are we not allowed to have opinions?

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
A successful area. Could be a draw, pond, mountainside, time of year in an area, or a whole unit. Generally something that can’t already be found on the internet.
If it can be a whole unint why not a region. What about a state? Where do we stop. Is it an acres thing?

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
You can't ask for unit specific advice. That's the rule. I don't see how you think this could/would/should lead to the end of all hunting discussion. If anyone who logged onto this forum could find detailed discussion about the best trailhead in a given unit to walk in and find elk, you'd be waiting in line there like it was Disney World.

Hunting is way more than showing up, finding an animal, and killing it. There's lots more that goes into it and technology and the internet only make it easier and easier for people who don't want to put in the work of scouting, learning, and experiencing failure in the field.

I think there's a fair and good balance of discussion here. You can learn as much as you reasonably should expect to learn about hunting without going on the hunt and experiencing it for yourself.

You can’t ask for “spot” specific advice if you’re a fng ( less than 100 comments on other posts)

Case and point on the stupidity of the rule: in a few hours I’ll have enough comments to be able to ask about spots again.

If it should be banned; then just ban it. I’ll probably still complain, but less so because at least it will take a more definitive stance. Not some arbitrary 1/2 hearted goal post.

@Rfogelman656 I appreciate you aren't being a complete jackass about it. Lots of guys have come in, said similar things, then throw a big hissy fit.

Personally, I like the rule.

I can see how you don't like it, but I think in time you might understand it a bit more. At least if you return to spots for a few years. Yes, pressure increases, tags are only way to limit, but not too much info should be shared publicly. I'm all for banning field photos too, lots of pics give away a lot of information for those that know.

bozeman

WKR
Its the best rule any hunting forum has ever implemented. Now the next step is editing all the previous thread titles with unit #'s in them.

If any mod is like yea right who has the time appoint me and I will work on it for free!! :)
Dont remove them from old threads, just change them to random #'s...... Colorado elk unit 964.......lol

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
Its the best rule any hunting forum has ever implemented. Now the next step is editing all the previous thread titles with unit #'s in them.

If any mod is like yea right who has the time appoint me and I will work on it for free!! :)

While I might disagree on this being a good thing; it would make more sense.

I could see a ban it the topic and a wiping of the previous data to follow the new ruling. Like OK, no more for everybody.

But the current rule just seems silly. Specifically the FNG and classification that a unit is a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.