New Record! Colorado elk…

rob86jeep

WKR
Opening morning- ran into 9 people before 10am, 4 miles from the trailhead. Found a tent setup exactly where I ran into a group of 30+ cows a couple months ago. Half of the 9 were from greater than 1000 miles away. When I went in before season opened there was 3 cars at the trailhead, when i came out opening day afternoon their was 18. I’m done with OTC in colorado.
Not to be argumentative, but I'm a little confused at what your rant is and have a couple questions.

1. Why did you hike in before opening season to hike out opening day if you were hunting?
2. Why do you expect people not to camp where you saw elk months ago? Elk migrate through campgrounds same as every other section of woods.

Not trying to argue, but genuinely curious as to what your beef is with OTC CO elk hunts.

cnelk

WKR
Not to be argumentative, but I'm a little confused at what your rant is and have a couple questions.

1. Why did you hike in before opening season to hike out opening day if you were hunting?
2. Why do you expect people not to camp where you saw elk months ago? Elk migrate through campgrounds same as every other section of woods.

Not trying to argue, but genuinely curious as to what your beef is with OTC CO elk hunts.

^^^ Prime example of the un-informed

I have had the same problem in a few of the areas i hunt . Usually at least 26 people at trailhead opening morning and most from out of state.

skeptic

FNG
It’s Newberg’s fault
and Rinella...and...

They aren't giving gps coordinates, but I wouldn't say they are going out of their way to keep locations on the DL either. Love em or hate em, it's undeniable they have drawn significantly more attention to hunting in the western states. Some more than others. Same could be said for a cadre of the innerwebs finest.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just headed home from Colorado. Got into cows and spikes most days. I agree it was a record turnout. I hunt the same area every year and this was the most hunters I have ever seen. Not just elk. Lots of guys hunting deer and bears as well.

BDRam16

WKR
I think we are at or near the peak of the influx. I think at some point within the next decade tag applications will be on the decline from the current high. So many things happened at once to create a perfect storm. GPS maps on your phone, services that tell you exactly what unit to apply for, the COVID outdoor activity spike, social media presence, increased predators in many states, etc…I think a LOT of people will either A. Do a year or two and be unsuccessful and give it up, or B. Get tired of playing the point game for years and quit trying.

Just gotta ride it out to that point and hope the wildlife makes it through.

I think we are at or near the peak of the influx. I think at some point within the next decade tag applications will be on the decline from the current high. So many things happened at once to create a perfect storm. GPS maps on your phone, services that tell you exactly what unit to apply for, the COVID outdoor activity spike, social media presence, increased predators in many states, etc…I think a LOT of people will either A. Do a year or two and be unsuccessful and give it up, or B. Get tired of playing the point game for years and quit trying.

Just gotta ride it out to that point and hope the wildlife makes it through.

Been reading the same reply for years…
Shits not changing, until CPW makes their big change.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
You’d have a better chance of running into a dumb bull than a dumb cow…

It’s very tough for me to pass an early season cow….

I was just hunting meat. Had plenty of chances at cows and spikes but unfortunately it’s a bull only unit. I would have shot the first cow I saw and headed for the house. I have a second archery NM tag to hunt a good one. Pressure is on or no elk to eat this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Imagine paying 700 plus dollars for a tag, taking a week off work, paying for 6 tanks of gas, etc to be a dude from Minnesota coming to Colorado to try and kill an elk. With success at 11% or whatever it is, the reality is that 11% is killed by the same small percentage of hunters that get it done every year. Most guys coming out for their 1st or 5th hunt should leave their bow at home, save 700 dollars, go to unit 61 or 49 with their camera and actually see a bull.
Just stay out of 49 till I can get my bull down this year… then go be a super annoying idiot trying to call elk while guys are actually hunting them with a tag in pocket… haha I hope I don’t run into any of those Heros

satchamo

WKR
Been reading the same reply for years…
Shits not changing, until CPW makes their big change.

As a non resident who’s done my fair share of otc hunts, I fully support closing all non res OTC tags. I’ve hunted Wyoming general and NM with a buddy who had tags and the difference is insane. I’d rather have a good hunt every 3 years then deal with the shitshow that it is now. I, along with my entire group, is done with OTC so I’m hoping more people go this route. And I absolutely love elk hunting above all….

I often think that if CO did go full draw for non res, maybe the pressure would lighten up on WY and other neighbor states who’s seen like 100% point creep in a matter of 3 years…. But maybe that’s wishful thinking

In the last week I have run into several archery elk hunters. One group I met on the trail were completely gassed going up a steep trail 3 miles from their truck with gigantic packs in 80 degree weather at noon at 10,000 ft asking me - a random hiker - if I knew where the Elk were and how much farther the top was. So obviously they have no plan other than to hike uphill a long distance with camping gear and bows hoping for the best.

Then two days ago I'm camping and fishing with my family about 3 miles from a "trailhead" when 2 bowhunters approach our camp while I'm cooking breakfast for everyone. They were shouting something at us from like 50 yards away. I stood up and looked at them and when they got closer they yell again and this time I heard them say "seen any?"

I played dumb and yelled back "seen any what?" to which they replied "elk!" and I yelled back "no, too many people camping and yelling around here". There was an awkward pause and then they turned around. Was that their plan? To hike around and ask campers with kids and dogs running around if they knew where the Elk are?

There are so many people out there without a clue. I feel bad sometimes but mostly just sorry that people are wasting vacation time and money to go camping and hiking dressed in full camo.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I completely agree. I think we are done with OTC as well. I enjoy the challenge and the guys I run into are nice but it drives me crazy to constantly see people. I’m getting too old to mess with it. Be nice to find a place with landowner tags we could lease year after year.

chaza402

FNG
I agree! The simple fact that cheap tags and high demand leads to a depleted resource. Just look at our world right now!!

If you want to hunt CO you should have to fork out some big bucks ( res and non res). The DOW is mainly funded by license revenue and we need to keep it that way. They do great work with our hard earned dollars but They should raise the price to lower the demand, and raise it a lot. I’d say $1200+ for non res and $400 for res.
I know this is a Hot Take but seriously if it’s not worth it to you maybe you shouldn’t do it.
I’m a resident and frankly I would pay $1000 dollars if I had a chance for a good quality hunt with reasonable pressure. Hell I pay that all day long in MT and gladly!

And honestly it’s cheap when you think about the experience you get out of a quality hunt.
CPW Raise the prices for tags please!!!

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
In the last week I have run into several archery elk hunters. One group I met on the trail were completely gassed going up a steep trail 3 miles from their truck with gigantic packs in 80 degree weather at noon at 10,000 ft asking me - a random hiker - if I knew where the Elk were and how much farther the top was. So obviously they have no plan other than to hike uphill a long distance with camping gear and bows hoping for the best.

Then two days ago I'm camping and fishing with my family about 3 miles from a "trailhead" when 2 bowhunters approach our camp while I'm cooking breakfast for everyone. They were shouting something at us from like 50 yards away. I stood up and looked at them and when they got closer they yell again and this time I heard them say "seen any?"

I played dumb and yelled back "seen any what?" to which they replied "elk!" and I yelled back "no, too many people camping and yelling around here". There was an awkward pause and then they turned around. Was that their plan? To hike around and ask campers with kids and dogs running around if they knew where the Elk are?

There are so many people out there without a clue. I feel bad sometimes but mostly just sorry that people are wasting vacation time and money to go camping and hiking dressed in full camo.
This just blows my mind. But if I truly sit and think about the scenario, it’s not that far fetched. Too much belief with people nowadays that it’s easy or it’ll just “happen” without putting in the planning or the work. Expect someone else to provide them information or to be handed to them…