New "MOUNTAIN WARRIOR" pack from Kifaru

Hey Aron, quick question. I am going mountain goat hunting In BC next year. 3 to 5 days on the mountain. I have a Dt 2, was wondering if the mountain warrior might be better or even the AMR. Thanks ot Bill

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Aron, quick question. I am going mountain goat hunting In BC next year. 3 to 5 days on the mountain. I have a Dt 2, was wondering if the mountain warrior might be better or even the AMR. Thanks ot Bill
Between the DT2 and MW, it just depends on what bag/options you like. They're not to much difference in size...just the options.

The AMR is a good bit bigger, so getting that and keeping the DT2 will be a more versatile option.

trk3263

WKR
Pulled the trigger today. If I am not seen on here for extended period of time it is because my wife killed me.
Hopefully my Nomad buyer doesn't back out

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I got one in order! Looking at doing a 120 miler this summer with minimal packrafting requires to complete the trip so a lower volume 6900 cu in pack (counting guide lid) would work just right to give us some space in case we shoot a grizzly bear. Luckily half way through is a resupply at the road so shouldn't have to pack the Grizz hide more than 30 miles in any direction if we bail early due to running across a grizz that wants a backpack ride. ;)

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
If you have multiple pockets attached to the sides of the pack, ex. spotting scope pocket, tripod, belt pouches, etc, my concern is how does that work if the main bag is nearly empty (daypack mode)? Can you still compress the empty main bag with pockets on the sides? Seems to me it wouldn't work very well.

mt100gr.

WKR
If you have multiple pockets attached to the sides of the pack, ex. spotting scope pocket, tripod, belt pouches, etc, my concern is how does that work if the main bag is nearly empty (daypack mode)? Can you still compress the empty main bag with pockets on the sides? Seems to me it wouldn't work very well.

I guess if I was running the main bag fairly empty but wanted to have that space available if I need to pack out, I'd put all that stuff in the main bag, pockets and all. Then if I need to fill the main bag up with meat I'd rearrange everything to the outside of th pack. Similar to the way I'd have to rearrange my Nomad if I was adding a heavy load. Some things would go to the top of the sleeve pockets vs at the bottom, some to the lid if I didn't want to crush them....for me, if the main bag was empty and compressed as much as possible, it would have my spotter, tripod, etc inside it to eliminate the need for extra pockets. And with the panel loader, getting into it would be faster than opening two separate side pockets.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
I guess if I was running the main bag fairly empty but wanted to have that space available if I need to pack out, I'd put all that stuff in the main bag, pockets and all. Then if I need to fill the main bag up with meat I'd rearrange everything to the outside of th pack. Similar to the way I'd have to rearrange my Nomad if I was adding a heavy load. Some things would go to the top of the sleeve pockets vs at the bottom, some to the lid if I didn't want to crush them....for me, if the main bag was empty and compressed as much as possible, it would have my spotter, tripod, etc inside it to eliminate the need for extra pockets. And with the panel loader, getting into it would be faster than opening two separate side pockets.

That's what I'm wanting to avoid, packing in a full load of camp gear and then having to take off all the pockets to hunt with. I personally want my tripod on the outside of the pack and I know from experience with other packs that putting a scope in the back pocket and then strapping a bow over that doesn't work too well. It's what has me leaning more towards the EMRII.

mt100gr.

WKR
I enjoyed my Nomad last year and the center zip camp bag in the middle was nice for big trips but would have been better if it was permanently attached like the emr2, just fewer adjustments and more user friendly for the way I set it all up. And honestly, I was going to try an emr2 this year until they released the mtn warrior design. I think the mtn warrior will be the ticket for me, though. More often than not, I will be able to pack all of my gear in the main bag and a lid keeping it narrower and easier to get into. I think Kifaru is almost to the point of having an ideal bag for anyone's style.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider

Any more opinions on this?

trk3263

WKR
I still haven't received the date for delivery in mine. Anyone else that ordered get the normally Kifaru email with the estimated ship date?

trk3263

WKR
Well I called today and they told me it is scheduled to ship the 9th but there is a chance it will go out this week. Sorry to spoil the possible surprise but thought I would update others.