New Mexico Javalina

CAM_D

FNG
Drew the JAV-2-101 tag in NM this year. First time hunting javelina. Was fortunate to kill one the first day. Happy to share where I found javelina if anyone draws the units 23-27 tag.
My 10 year old has the tag starting 2/1. Shoot me a PM if you can! We saw some on the border of 16 and 22 when he had his deer hunt in November, and I’ve killed them during the archery season in unit 25, but it wasn’t easy locating them.

My 10 year old has the tag starting 2/1. Shoot me a PM if you can! We saw some on the border of 16 and 22 when he had his deer hunt in November, and I’ve killed them during the archery season in unit 25, but it wasn’t easy locating them.
Unfortunately I cannot send you a PM. I am a new member and haven't hit the 10 post minimum the forum requires for enabling the PM option. If you're an Instagram user I can message you there. My handle is wildlife.duke. Otherwise, I can post the info in this thread.

CAM_D

FNG
Unfortunately I cannot send you a PM. I am a new member and haven't hit the 10 post minimum the forum requires for enabling the PM option. If you're an Instagram user I can message you there. My handle is wildlife.duke. Otherwise, I can post the info in this thread.
Sent you a PM to see if it works that way.

I am looking into trying to draw a tag as well as the OTC hunt. I would really like to hunt 29,30 so I can scout for a hopeful aoudad hunt at the same time. If anyone feels like sharing some tips or pointers I wouldn't be upset.

Drew the JAV-2-101 tag in NM this year. First time hunting javelina. Was fortunate to kill one the first day. Happy to share where I found javelina if anyone draws the units 23-27 tag.
I drew that tag! Haven’t been able to go yet due to family emergency, but hoping to get out within the next couple of days. Would love to have your insight!

I drew a javelina tag for unit 23 in January 2025. Really pumped to get some eyes on these little guys. I also drew an early coues tag in the same unit. Not sure where I’ll start for Javelina though.
Any particular javelina habitats/signs you look out for when e-scouting or scouting? Any help is much appreciated!

OP
jburman

jburman

FNG
I drew a javelina tag for unit 23 in January 2025. Really pumped to get some eyes on these little guys. I also drew an early coues tag in the same unit. Not sure where I’ll start for Javelina though.
Any particular javelina habitats/signs you look out for when e-scouting or scouting? Any help is much appreciated!
They love to chow down on prickly pear and when you're out there you'll see cactus that are just shredded and strewn around if they're in the area. Get up on a hill and sit down to glass, they aren't to hard to spot in open country and are pretty easy to stalk if you have the wind. They can't see worth crap, but they do smell reasonably well. When e-scouting, look for water. Even though they eat cactus and get a lot from that, they still need to drink and they like to roll in the mud if it gets hot out.

New Guy here. 20 years ago we went to the San Carlos Apache Rez to hunt Javelina. The evening before the opener we scouted a sounder of about 10 but they winded us and scattered. For the next 3 days we never saw them again even using an Apache guide but while hunting the bottom of a canyon, we saw the fresh bite marks on the Nopal cactus and the sap was still dripping so we knew they were just ahead of us on the move. Our guide told us they make Tamales out of the meat.

They love to chow down on prickly pear and when you're out there you'll see cactus that are just shredded and strewn around if they're in the area. Get up on a hill and sit down to glass, they aren't to hard to spot in open country and are pretty easy to stalk if you have the wind. They can't see worth crap, but they do smell reasonably well. When e-scouting, look for water. Even though they eat cactus and get a lot from that, they still need to drink and they like to roll in the mud if it gets hot out.
Thanks jburman, that’s very good to know. I guess the prickly pear is some of the only moisture they can get out there sometimes. I’m planning to do some scouting come July so I’ll take a look at which holes still have some water in them. So far it’s been dry in NM.