New KUIU

I wore the pants the other day doing some yard work in low-90 degree temperatures, and they are much cooler than the Attack pants. Time will tell whether the 2 vs. 4 way stretch is a big downgrade and I am looking forward to the material softening with use as it is a bit stiff when new. They are light as heck (11.5 oz. for a 32" on my scale). I think those plus a thermal will make a great layering system for early season hunts.

Last edited:
I wore the pants the other day doing some yard work in low-90 degree temperatures, and they are much cooler than the Attack pants. Time will tell whether the 2 vs. 4 way stretch is a big downgrade and I am looking forward to the material softening with use as it is a bit stiff when new. They are light as heck (11.5 oz. for a 32" on my scale). I think those plus a thermal will make a great layering system for early season hunts.

What is your opinion on whether or not burrs and stickers will stick to the outside?

Juan, I spaced this yesterday when we talked, but you may want to ensure that your items are on pre-order because I have a friend who called to pre-order all the Yukon Rain gear and they had no record of his Tiburon on pre-order due to some switching out of computers or something. I'd check just to make sure.

Well, I fell for it and called up Kuiu to make sure my stuff didn't get lost. They explained that there was one half day where they had a computer glitch and everything was backed up on paper and assured me no orders were "lost". So all is good. No need to call in. Unless you want to.

Just called and they did have my pre-order on file but still nothing on it getting processed yet... She said she couldn't say for sure if I was going to get in on the first order or not but that they were getting very low on inventory... Probably be just my luck that It's not going to get filled this go around... :(

Mine shipped a few days ago, just to my house 5 states away lol. Trying to find an address here locally I can have someone at home send em too me at so I can try em out this summer.

My luck must be turning around for the better, just got my confirmation email on tiburon/gaiter order! :eek: :D

Well, I fell for it and called up Kuiu to make sure my stuff didn't get lost. They explained that there was one half day where they had a computer glitch and everything was backed up on paper and assured me no orders were "lost". So all is good. No need to call in. Unless you want to.

Thanks for explaining this Marc, saved us a bunch of calls. Good talking to you.

I don't think the material will attract burrs more than other common pant materials, and less than some. If the thought is that the holes might give burrs additional purchase, I doubt it.

I think folks will find these are among the fastest drying pants on the market if they were to get wet or you wanted to field wash.

She said she couldn't say for sure if I was going to get in on the first order or not but that they were getting very low on inventory...

I am looking forward to the Tiburon's to combat the hundred degree weather here, however, could go without the supply side concerns.

With Kuiu, I have to keep reminding myself that pants, even "groundbreaking" technical camo pants, are a commodity. It reminds me of the tulip bubble a little - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Just called and they did have my pre-order on file but still nothing on it getting processed yet... She said she couldn't say for sure if I was going to get in on the first order or not but that they were getting very low on inventory... Probably be just my luck that It's not going to get filled this go around... :(

Yeah, mine were sent to my old address, luckily the folks there knew me and were able to get in touch so I could get them... Strange, considering that I have had several things shipped to my new house since last November.

The material is interesting to say the least, certainly was not expecting that type of feel but I think they will be comfortable. I plan to wear them tonight on a quick bear hunt and then again all weekend up in Northern Idaho on another bear hunt. I should have a pretty good idea if I like them or not after the next week.

They explained that there was one half day where they had a computer glitch and everything was backed up on paper and assured me no orders were "lost".

Then how would you explain the order I am talking about that was in fact "lost"?

Yeah, mine were sent to my old address, luckily the folks there knew me and were able to get in touch so I could get them... Strange, considering that I have had several things shipped to my new house since last November.

That's funny. Last year I 'had' to have a new verde shirt while on my elk hunt, so I ordered it and had it shipped to a buddy's house in Flagstaff, AZ. They shipped my pre-ordered Tiburon pants to my buddy's house too. I've had several KUIU orders shipped to my house in Chandler, AZ since last Sept, so I'm wondering what the mix-up was. Not a major deal, but kind of a pain since I need to either pay extra shipping for him to ship them to me, or wait several weeks until I see him again.

Needless to say I had KUIU take that address off of my profile so none of my other pre-orders get shipped to him. KUIU also said they'd refund me the original shipping cost since I have to ship them 2x.

I am looking forward to the Tiburon's to combat the hundred degree weather here, however, could go without the supply side concerns.

With Kuiu, I have to keep reminding myself that pants, even "groundbreaking" technical camo pants, are a commodity. It reminds me of the tulip bubble a little - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Love the tulipmania link mate, and I think that you are spot on. Have you ever noticed how, and I will go hunting industry here, that each year when new gear comes out, whatever it may be, all the 'top shelf' kit is at the same price point. It appears if it doesn't have this top price point on it, well it musn't be top shelf. So in other words, to have gear taken seriously it has to be expensive. Marketing I believe its called, and consumers come in hook, line and sinker. Don't get me wrong, there is top shelf gear out there, but it is top shelf by virtue of its quality, not its pricing point. Tulipmania, oh so true.

Well I received my pants yesterday. First impressions, they are very light and look to be very breathable. I soaked them in the bathtub next to the Attack pants and threw them outside to dry. They dried in half the time it took to dry out the attacks, I like that. I will report back in a few weeks on the durability. I am going bear hunting and in a couple of spots they will be tested well.

What about scent after you sweat in them compared to the merino?

What about scent after you sweat in them compared to the merino?

I haven't tested them to see how bad they will be in comparison, but I haven't used a synthetic yet that is even remotely close to merino in terms of odor control.

Back