New Kuiu vs Used MR

*zap*

WKR
I am seriously considering Kuiu to replace my Arcteryx Bora 95 and 55, like the looks of the icon pro suspension and the icon pro 7200 bag.

I own kifaru’s And a Kuiu. No Mystery Ranch. I’m not against them at all. I’ve just never owned one. Just saying There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Kuiu pack.

My $0.02, I ran the Icon Pro 1850 with a dry bag in the meat shelf and my buddy ran the Marshall for a 7 day backpack elk hunt this past season.

The KUIU pack is significantly lighter, even if you go up to the Ultra 5500 bag. IMO it is much more versatile/modular with the load hauler panel, the meat shelf is much simpler to use, and I didn’t have any concerns about its durability.

The Marshall is more “military grade” if you’re the type to really abuse your gear, but that comes with the aforementioned downsides. We both agreed that packing camp in sucked and packing the elk out wasn’t as bad as we anticipated.

FWIW, I’m sticking with the KUIU for the foreseeable future, though I did pick up the 5500 bag, my buddy with the Marshall is considering selling his and switching to the KUIU or EXO.

I think we both wish we would have tried each other’s packs, but with work to be done and still having tags to fill, messing around with a bunch of adjustments didn’t seem appealing in the moment.

Well I have to put it this way: If you sent me to Alaska, Yukon or some other far-flung backcountry place for a month of hunting, I'd be giving my pack all kinds of hard use. I'd be counting on packing gear loads, firewood bundles, meat, head/antlers....and maybe some sheds too. I'd be bringing a pack tough enough to endure hard use, and it would certainly be a proven design from a company known for its tough gear. It would be a pack I wouldn't worry about abusing, and could plan to get 10 years use from.

Just as important would be fit and function. Those are 2 things you can only guess at unless you actually have the pack(s) in your possession and can test it. Otherwise you're hoping things work well and fit well.....akin to buying a $400 pair of boots. If possible, you'd prefer to go try on multiple pairs of boots (side by side) and compare them. You'd pick the most comfortable boots which have the features you need and durability you demand in order to get maximum life and use from them. A pack is much the same.

eamyrick

WKR
My $0.02, I ran the Icon Pro 1850 with a dry bag in the meat shelf and my buddy ran the Marshall for a 7 day backpack elk hunt this past season.

The KUIU pack is significantly lighter, even if you go up to the Ultra 5500 bag. IMO it is much more versatile/modular with the load hauler panel, the meat shelf is much simpler to use, and I didn’t have any concerns about its durability.

The Marshall is more “military grade” if you’re the type to really abuse your gear, but that comes with the aforementioned downsides. We both agreed that packing camp in sucked and packing the elk out wasn’t as bad as we anticipated.

FWIW, I’m sticking with the KUIU for the foreseeable future, though I did pick up the 5500 bag, my buddy with the Marshall is considering selling his and switching to the KUIU or EXO.

I think we both wish we would have tried each other’s packs, but with work to be done and still having tags to fill, messing around with a bunch of adjustments didn’t seem appealing in the moment.

Which bag size would you use for 7 days in the Bob. A buddy and I are planning on a early fall rifle hunt there.

Savage99

WKR
I have used both quite a bit and would pick the kuiu hands down. MR makes a solid pack, overbuilt in my opinion, but I find it extremely uncomfortable and the straps and webbing excessive.
MR probably beats kuiu in the full it full of heavy shit and throw it off the mountain category, but I find the kuiu so far ahead of MR in comfort.

I own neither currently and have a Stone Glacier that I love.

I recall a Meat Eater podcast where Steve was talking to the SG guy and was lamenting packs that have too much stuff that snags on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
That GoHunt video made me question any information those guys ever put out. It was almost insulting to my intelligence. I don't own a Kuiu but wouldn't hesitate to use one. I had a Kifaru that was great and currently use a Stone Glacier that I love.

slick

WKR
Which bag size would you use for 7 days in the Bob. A buddy and I are planning on a early fall rifle hunt there.

You could probably both squeeze 7 days out of a metcalf.. maybe with food in a dry sack on the meat shelf. That would be splitting up some stuff between the two of you. Could get tight depending on what gear you own (how small/compressible). I used to do week long trips out of a metcalf for work, but never did a week long hunt. I’d imagine you could make do. I’ve done 5 day hunts out of a Pintler, but utilized the meat shelf.

eamyrick

WKR
You could probably both squeeze 7 days out of a metcalf.. maybe with food in a dry sack on the meat shelf. That would be splitting up some stuff between the two of you. Could get tight depending on what gear you own (how small/compressible). I used to do week long trips out of a metcalf for work, but never did a week long hunt. I’d imagine you could make do. I’ve done 5 day hunts out of a Pintler, but utilized the meat shelf.

Ahh. I’ll look at those sizes to compare. I’m actually using a KUIU 3200 now and will probably just get a larger bag. The KUIU fits me great and the price was great.

It totally depends on your gear list and whether you plan to spike or bivy camp. If you’re setting up a spike camp to hunt from and have lightweight gear, your 3200 should be fine if you carry your food in the meat shelf and potentially strap your tent to the bottom of your pack.

The nice thing about that is you can just pull the dry bag out and hang it from your bear line, drop your tent, sleeping bag, and pad, and you’re ready to hunt.

If you’re bivy hunting and carrying everything with you constantly, I’d go with a larger bag like the 5500 so you don’t have to be as particular when packing everything, and have some extra room for meat. I really like the looks of the 4000, but it’s exactly the same volume as my 1850 + XXL dry bag, so it wouldn’t add much versatility for me.

It’s really nice to hunt with a small pack, but you’ve got to have your gear dialed. Deciding to throw in a Kifaru Lost Parka instead of a KUIU Super Down would probably mean your pack won’t work.

TXNHNTR

FNG
Im in this same boat. Trying to decide between the MR Pintler and the Kuiu Icon. You guys have given me some good insights.

(My first post)
No MR tested yet, but...
I've got new Kuiu (Pro suspension and Pro 3200 bag) and Kifaru (Duplex Lite and Woodsman bag) frames/bags recently ordered and recieved that I'm running an in-house comparison with 50# weight. Still dialing in the Kifaru lumbar pad - too thick so far. But the Kifaru belt is awesome. Kuiu on the other hand is lighter and quite nice. But the Kuiu belt isn't up to the same level and the overall setup seems lighter in durability too. But with 50# around the house, up and down stairs, etc., the Kuiu does just fine. The Kifaru is still getting dialed in, but will likely get there too (will have to see). I plan to only keep one.

I bought almost all major packs at the same time and tried them loaded down with 50 and 100lbs. FOR ME the KUIU Icon Pro was the most comfortable hands down. I now have the 5200 bag for elk and 1850 bag for whitetail and just switch the suspension and frame.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the gohunt backpack torture test. The KUIU didn't stand up that well compared to the mystery ranch. I ended up getting the MR Sawtooth 80 based on the price and the gohunt guys review. I had a budy that has the KUIU ICON PRO and it felt alright until i put some weight in the bag.
that was the most biased rigged review I have ever seen.

Tanner.L5

FNG
I know the Kuiu packs have more internal pockets that some enjoy for little items when out in the backcountry. Can’t comment on the MR packs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car7x

WKR
Second the SG. Light is right what ever you choose, I think they'll all survive your first trip and they will all back their products if you blow it up. Any of the top 5 you can sell for so close to what you pay that you can try 'em all as you go.

I know Dana from MR, all the way back to the Kletterwerks - pre Dana Design, way pre-MR - day. No one builds a better pack for extended and/or heavy work. But, they usually could have stopped their pack builds 4 yards of webbing and 2 lbs. sooner for what I do...I'm not doing an unsupported thru hike Alaska to Argentina.

I just bought an icon 1850 here for my nephew; most of the time a day pack on a hauling-capable frame is all I think he'll need, and especially for archery, do the math, a lot of trips you don't get 'em bloody. I like their clothes ok and out of a spike camp I'm sure it will be just fine for one of the 4 man party.

We'll have my kid carrying a MR Pintler, nephew with the Icon 1850, future SIL with my SG Evo 3300, and as the old guy I'll carry the SG Avail, a great pack. By myself, the Evo 3300 with a load cell would be my pick. I'll echo what others have said about packs they don't own; I have nothing against Kifaru or Exo - but besides the Kuiu - know the guys at the other shops, respect their builds, and want to support them

In a party, I've found the first trip one guy (me?) can carry all the excess clothes, food / misc / maybe another guy's weapon the first trip back. Maybe some tenderloins, etc. At camp we'll have an old frameless alpine climbing rucksack - a prototype from Dana's first pack designer. Then I'll swap out the Avail for one of the comfy packs and one of the rookies can use that rucksack for the second load out. Not optimal, but it's one trip for one guy.

When I climbed, we quickly figured out to support the new guys who wanted to get a nice big pack. We'd also teach him to put that heavy stuff down low and then fill 'er up. Didn't leave much for us more world weary guys who had been there already. We didn't mind...

Last edited:

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
it all depends on how much of a minimalist you are. I can do 5 with my ultra 4000 with a little room to spare. I am not a minimalist really I'm just cheap so I don't buy and bring certain things. I would think the 5500 or 7200 would be your best bet though.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
It totally depends on your gear list and whether you plan to spike or bivy camp. If you’re setting up a spike camp to hunt from and have lightweight gear, your 3200 should be fine if you carry your food in the meat shelf and potentially strap your tent to the bottom of your pack.

The nice thing about that is you can just pull the dry bag out and hang it from your bear line, drop your tent, sleeping bag, and pad, and you’re ready to hunt.

If you’re bivy hunting and carrying everything with you constantly, I’d go with a larger bag like the 5500 so you don’t have to be as particular when packing everything, and have some extra room for meat. I really like the looks of the 4000, but it’s exactly the same volume as my 1850 + XXL dry bag, so it wouldn’t add much versatility for me.

It’s really nice to hunt with a small pack, but you’ve got to have your gear dialed. Deciding to throw in a Kifaru Lost Parka instead of a KUIU Super Down would probably mean your pack won’t work.
ummm no it is the same size as your XXL dry bag + 4000 cubic inches, so 2150 more. you can still use the drybag and meat shelf.

duffnutz

FNG
I have the kuiu 3200, I have used it for the past couple years. I pack bear bait in the spring and fall and it’s great, also a couple animals. I would never hesitate on buying the same pack again.