NEW Kifaru Duplex Timberline Series

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Littlebuf, I would put the meat in the pack, inside a meat baggie. Then put my gear in a bag which would be held outside by the cargo panel.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, putting the meat up against a full pack is a big "no no". The idea would be to flatten the pack or stick the meat tight against your back and attach the pods or pockets on the Cargo Panel (like sreekers mentioned). What Ryan mentioned is what I prefer.

So you didn't miss anything:)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've been trying to envision how that'd work as well littlebuf, I'm thinking if I were to be hauling a full pack out AND meat I'd leave the cargo panel at home and just put the meat inside and strap the lightweight stuff like sleeping bag, pad, or tent, to the outside. Cargo panel and the DT3 for day hunting would be a great idea, but a full DT1 and then strapping meat behind that withe the cargo panel seems like a recipe for a load that wouldn't ride quite as well as if you were to put the load IN the bag.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What Luke said is true (with the large packs), but the CP and DT3 work pretty well even when the pack has gear inside and the dead weight is against it. I should have explained that better in my first post!

With the larger packs I only carry the meat on the inside of the pack and all the gear at the bottom or outside pockets. The video I posted pretty much covers how I pack out heavy loads and gear with larger packs. I can see me packing out a lot of meat this season with day hunt gear in the DT3 and meat between the cargo panel and bag.

littlebuf

Banned
so really you could accomplish the same thing with a standard T3 and a cargo panel.meat in pack,gear in cargo panel/pods. does the duplex frame handle loads that much better to justify the extra weight of the DT series?or is it the ability of reconfiguring these packs that justifies the extra couple pounds?i know your a once counter aron,thats why i ask

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's a more rigid frame than the standard Tlines, but if you load the pack carefully (the standard Tine), than you won't see as much of a difference.

The standard Tline will "barrel" if you load it up really full, but you can jamb your knee into the back of it to flatten it out better.

I wouldn't want to say one way or another as each person is going to be different.

I really like the feel of the Duplex frame, but I packed out multiple animals last season with the standard Tline without issue.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Honestly if the numbers are right on the Kifaru website the difference between a T2 and ad DT2 with the same lid is something like 17-19 oz so its just over a pound difference, but gives you the ability to drop the DT pack completely and end up with just a 4.75 pound meat hauler after you get camp and the first load of meat out as well, which is lighter than a T2 at that point and a straight up hauling masheen :D

stephen b

WKR
Yes- as others have mentioned- hvy dense objects ( meat ) will always ride better against your back whether it is in the bag or on the frame. Any time you get weight away form your back it is heavier because of the longer lever. It is just physics- Take a 16 lb shot put and hold it close to you- not so bad. But then hold it out a bit and you feel it more.

A load that is hvy and dense also rides better when elevated a bit so centered at the lower thoracic/ upper lumbar region

Last edited:
OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DSC00950.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

I've had several people ask how the XTL top lid fits on the T3 and DT3. Here are a couple photos to give you an idea of how they look together.

Kifaru does not offer the XTL with the T3/DT3 because the XTL does not fit perfect, but I know of a few people that are running it this way.

Anyway, here ya go....stuffed XTL on semi full DT3.

aron, I know that you recommend the grabit with any kifaru pack but if you have a DT pack and a cargo panel, would you still recommend a grabit and why? I am also wondering what the limit on nights in the field would be with a DT3+cargo panel in your opinion knowing that you can strap all your gear between the panel and bag when the bag is full of meat?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can someone post the link to Mel's pics? That is so cool to see. I changed my order from T1 with grab it in foliage to the DT1 with cargo panel in coyote brown. Only reason I got the grab it was to hold my bow. The cargo panel will do a better job of that and protect my bow better. Even thinking about only hauling meat on the outside of the pack with the cargo panel. There has to be a way to move the meat up higher on your back while using it. Any suggestion? That will keep all my gear on the inside nice and clean. The pics with the panel and all those pockets is awesome. I'm liking the brown color as well over the foliage.

Matt

I to would like to see a way to haul weight higher in the cargo panel. It would be a great kid hauler if I could figure out a secure way to get them just high enough to se around me. :)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I to would like to see a way to haul weight higher in the cargo panel. It would be a great kid hauler if I could figure out a secure way to get them just high enough to se around me. :)

I might try some experimenting with mine. I think its possible.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought about stuffing a larger sleeping bag in there and having them sit on the sleeping bag.... ??? Guess I need to order a cargo panel to experiment with..... :)

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's the best way I've found to elivate the Cargo Panel on the Duplex Hunting Frame.

DSC00955-1.jpg

Run the 3 bar sliders at the bottom of Cargo Panel through the male buckles that come with the kit.

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

Take 2 female quick detach buckles and attach them at whatever height you desire the Cargo Panel to be.
DSC00959.jpg

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You now can use whatever amount of horizontal lashing straps that you desire to secure the load from falling out the sides.

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DSC00968.jpg

I prefer to run two vertical lashing straps as well. These straps also work great for keeping antlers in place on the trip out.