New Digiscoping Option—MagView **Review Added 8/3/22**

Has anybody had any luck attaching the B1 to their Swaro SLC series binos?
MagView people told me over the phone it was a little bit of a headache back in Nov. 2022.
I haven't checked to see fi they came up with a fix. Something to do with the eye cup being slanted and it wouldn't tighten down properly.

Edited

Repost:
I haven’t read the reply’s here but I just got a magnetic phone holder from @mouscase online. The steel piece that comes imbedded in the phone case isn’t located in the exact spot needed to hold the phone in for the magview window to align perfectly, however just laying the thin steel plate (that came with the magview) in between the phone and case works perfectly. The actual phone case sticks to a magnet/mounting system I mounted in my truck and will likely also work perfectly for another similar one I bought years ago that I have mounted to the console of my boat.

The good thing about this set up is my mouscase phone case is almost identical to the one I was using anyway but the magnet would not stick to my case. Now I don’t even have to use the sticky backed part of the plate it just rest in between the phone and case when I need it.

Last edited:

michaema2

FNG
I agree. The phone case having excess material stick out of the side is a huge turn off. The eyepiece cover isn’t as slick as the MagView either in my opinion. Will catch too much wind just dangling there, and I’m not the kinda guy that wants to remove the string and lose the damn cap. Definitely looks as fast, if not faster, than a PS though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. The excess material out the side of the Ollin phone case won't let the case slide into the top of my Alaska Guide Creations bino harness, which is where I carry my phone. Magview it is!

Took out the magview this weekend, incredible setup I was really happy. Also serves as a way to watch movies while I eat dinner

0cde349cae1a28ff6ebd4516b572c79b.jpg

cmw3w5

FNG
I really enjoy my magview. I already had a magnetic backing on my phone for a car mount so it was a seamless transition.

VEDO

FNG
In the same boat. Yeah I kinda knew going into it that someone would quickly take the original magnet idea to the next level. To me one big advantage tho is if you have multiple cameras/lens on your phone you have options with the magview to move it around and get centered up. I like the 2x lens on the pixel 7 pro to cut out the vignette. When conditions are pefect (rarely you can use the 5x lens) not sure if you can do this with the Ollin?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wondering the same thing.
I haven't tried the Ollin, so can't say but a year later, still running the MV. I've never removed the plate and it was nice to have it first time i had a chance to digiscope this summer. with the detachable case options, I always had to refind it before each season

Been using the MagView now for about 2-3 weeks & i really like it. I did purchase the wireless phone charging plate & that thing was a piece a $hit. No matter how i oriented the S1 on my spotter it would not hold my phone in the right position, it would just spin down on the magnet and i have a iPhone 12 mini which is one of the smaller phones on the market. The standard plate that comes with it holds the phone great and works as advertised. When I couldn't get the wireless charging plate to work, I tried removing it from my phone & it broke into about 40 pieces, i did email MagView and they did credit my account for that which i was kind of surprised because i even told them in my email that I did not purchase directly from their website, i purchased it through ExpertVioce which gives you 50% off. Reason i chose MagView over the Ollin was because i did not like the phone case needed for them and don't like the idea of having to buy a separate phone case every time you switch phones, much easier in my opinion to just move the MagView plate from one phone to another when I upgrade phones. Ollin magcase is $40 and MagView phone plate is $14 MSRP but can get through expertvoice for $7.50

disquek

FNG
Anyone with binos (or other devices) with a compass in them notice magnets like these messing up the compass?
My Vortex AB 5000s have a compass that helps them compute wind hold.

So has anyone modified the eyepiece on their Swaro SLC series binos so that the B1 ring that attaches to your eyepiece will hold securely. Reason I ask is because the rubber eyepiece it should attach to is tapered down.
I guess you could carefully file the rubber down on the high side with maybe an emory board or take the rubber eye cup off and put it on a drill in a vise and lightly take the taper off.

Stalker69

WKR
d2b8d2a40194410abd545143449da8ab.jpg

(Swarovski ATS65 w/ iPhone 11)

In short, I’m a fan. Found myself wanting to only digiscope and not even look through the glass the old fashioned way.

Two things I’ve noticed this far:

You can’t use the fitted Swarovski eyepiece cover, I’ll have to find something else to protect that portion.

Some spotting scopes with little to no eye relief may have a hard time getting full field of view with the adapter on while trying to physically look through the glass.

Do all the photos have that hazy, smoky look to them ?