New Digiscoping Option—MagView **Review Added 8/3/22**

dank

FNG
Also, why is the Ollin being hammered by members on here for being shilled by cringy youtubers, yet somehow the Magview is dodging this stereotype? It seems to me that I have seen PLENTY of influencers pushing the crap out of Magview just the same. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Full season with the magview in the books and I was disappointed with the indexing. Kept trying to tell myself it wasn't that bad (due to the cash I spent on it) but I have come to terms that if the Ollin truly nails the indexing I am going to give it a try.

Anyone else make this switch? The indexing with magview just never got better with practice and cost me a few animals this year.
Thanks for your feedback. I saw an Ollin in action and the indexing was better. I'm staying MV for now though as I don't have to have different rings for different spotters.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Also, why is the Ollin being hammered by members on here for being shilled by cringy youtubers, yet somehow the Magview is dodging this stereotype? It seems to me that I have seen PLENTY of influencers pushing the crap out of Magview just the same. Seems a little hypocritical to me.
it's called tribalism and it's sad...

edit* but MV is also a sponsor here and we have some very faithful members (whicch we appreciate)

Although I didn't see the number of influencers using MV (like it matters, though). Seemed like their sponsorship here was where I saw it most, but prolly because I'm here the most.

forgot to ask in my first reply, did you turn the grid on on your phone? that probably helped me 50% in getting aligned quicker, and making sure my phone was on more than 1x or so.

Magview is being pushed by influencers that WKR's like and Ollin is being pushed by influencers that WKR's don't like?

I haven't had a real tough time with the indexing on the Magview. I keep a finger between the plate and magnet, line up the camera lens, then slide my finger out as I rotate the plate end of the phone into the magnet. Adjustment from there is minor. But one thing I can't seem to get down is getting the phone seated on the magnet without it "clapping" when the magnet and plate hit.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
...But one thing I can't seem to get down is getting the phone seated on the magnet without it "clapping" when the magnet and plate hit.
I keep my pinky on my right hand between the phone and the spotter (my MV flap faces right) to buffer the slap. Works most of the time, but still a skill to be acquired. Can't argue with Ollin's indexing ability though.

Reactions: tak

dank

FNG
it's called tribalism and it's sad...

edit* but MV is also a sponsor here and we have some very faithful members (whicch we appreciate)

Although I didn't see the number of influencers using MV (like it matters, though). Seemed like their sponsorship here was where I saw it most, but prolly because I'm here the most.

forgot to ask in my first reply, did you turn the grid on on your phone? that probably helped me 50% in getting aligned quicker, and making sure my phone was on more than 1x or so.
Ya I did try the grid. The magnet is so strong though that as you are slowly trying to bring it in it reaches that critical point where it slams together and I lose it.

I guess it all depends what is most important to someone in a digiscoping solution. For me I have realized I would sacrifice a lot for perfect indexing. The magview really wasn't that hard or anything it just was a point of issue and I now have the desire to know what's it's like to have perfection in that realm haha.

tak

WKR
For the "clapping" I was able to place a lens cloth (folded , 2 layers) over the magnet portion on the lens cover. This helped reduce noise (which seemed pretty loud in a quiet deer blind, but not an issue if an animal is far enough to be using a scope anyway). Also made the magnet a little less strong.

For the indexing, I used the grid and center dot in the magview app. It really seemed to work well when I aimed the center dot at the top of the image through the scope; then when it "jumped" to the magnet, it was lined up pretty much perfect. It's just what seemed to work for me.

Last, I would get it set with the app, and then once attached I would switch to the regular Apple camera. It stayed lined up, and the pictures were better through the regular camera vs the magview app. I also couldn't do slo-mo video in the magview app.

All in all, I'm happy and thinking of also getting the bino adaptor. I feel that I missed less animals with the magview than I used to with the phonescope - I would often not have the case on, or if I did, my phone wouldn't be in the correct pocket I normally keep it. Just my mileage so far.

Natekraft

FNG
I’ve had one for a few weeks now (well, actually two, as there is a binocular option —the B1, and a spotting scope option—the S1.)

They’re just becoming available today, so wanted to get some experience with the system before posting.

It’s called MagView, as it uses a rare earth magnet on any phone or phone case (making it a universal adapter) and a small ring that attaches to your eyepiece on any binocular or spotting scope (there could be an exception out there).

It works well and is lightweight and fast (with some practice)

It took me about 15 minutes to install and start using proficiently, then a few more uses to become efficient.

Like all adapters, you have to fine tune to eliminate the vignette ring. I’m getting pretty good at it now.

This video shows it on the Swarovski ATS 20-60X65mm and Zeiss SFL 10x40.

*one clarification that Tony caught, the magnet is on optic ring, not on the phone so there is no effect on the compass. Good catch Tony!

Also, the MAGVIEW systems are supported by an app. As it wasn’t ready for release as of today, I didn’t get to try it so can’t comment on it. @Tony Trietch & @SLDMTN are both using the system and will have a complete review up before August 10th, so they’ll be able to comment more on the system and the app. Hit the Watch button upper right of lead post to subscribe so you don’t miss the review.

***Update 8/3/22*** MagView Digiscoping System Review

Pros
- light and fast
-always on the phone and optic, so always ready
-universal
-S1 Spotting Scope Adapter includes an easy-to-use lens cover
-Didn’t interfere with viewing experience on the optics I used
-Made in the USA!

Cons
-some practice required to eliminate vignette
-the plate on the phone won’t allow me to charge my phone wirelessly
-more expensive than some competitors

You can see more at their website: https://magviewgear.com/products/
Just got mine and really like how fast it is, and actually puts a good lens cover on my spotter! Having problems with the vignette…. Probably just need to practice a little more

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just got mine and really like how fast it is, and actually puts a good lens cover on my spotter! Having problems with the vignette…. Probably just need to practice a little more
the lens cover is a huge bonus.

Yes, more practice.

I'm pretty fast with mine but still can't hit every time first try. I'm probably 50/50.

I have learned that if it's a vignette covering less than 1/4 of the view, I don't need to remove phone and start over, just slide it a bit and I can get full view

JoeDirt

WKR
Still waiting for the app to update where you can chose your camera. I prefer the 3x iPhone through my 15x SLC

grainhog

FNG
Has anyone used the B1 on Vortex Razor HD 12x50s? I use mine with the eye cups all the way in, which it sounds like I may not be able to do with this thing. Also, the outside of my phone case isn't flat, so it sounds like the plate would need to go directly on my phone.

Would some thin mole skin or felt on the eyepiece magnet buffer the clap of the two coming together and also make centering easier by slightly reducing the magnet strength?

tak

WKR
Would some thin mole skin or felt on the eyepiece magnet buffer the clap of the two coming together and also make centering easier by slightly reducing the magnet strength?

Yes, but felt or moleskin would be too thick.
One thin layer of lens cloth is what I've used before, but I noticed yesterday that the magnet still didn't seem strong enough to hold it. It worked okay, but I was afraid to let go of the phone. Not sure if the magnet for a little weaker the last couple months or what. Overall, it's still working great. The clap has never scared game for me, it just sounds loud in a Texas deer blind. It's quieter than dry firing, which did scare some deer.

Ordered one to try out, looks pretty slick. I never digiscope because it’s too much of a hassle with anything I’ve tried and feel it takes away from the hunting. High hopes, have some cool tags this year where this would come in handy.

Me too. Got mine a couple days ago. Can't wait to try mIne out next week

codell

FNG
I’ve had one for a few weeks now (well, actually two, as there is a binocular option —the B1, and a spotting scope option—the S1.)

They’re just becoming available today, so wanted to get some experience with the system before posting.

It’s called MagView, as it uses a rare earth magnet on any phone or phone case (making it a universal adapter) and a small ring that attaches to your eyepiece on any binocular or spotting scope (there could be an exception out there).

It works well and is lightweight and fast (with some practice)

It took me about 15 minutes to install and start using proficiently, then a few more uses to become efficient.

Like all adapters, you have to fine tune to eliminate the vignette ring. I’m getting pretty good at it now.

This video shows it on the Swarovski ATS 20-60X65mm and Zeiss SFL 10x40.

*one clarification that Tony caught, the magnet is on optic ring, not on the phone so there is no effect on the compass. Good catch Tony!

Also, the MAGVIEW systems are supported by an app. As it wasn’t ready for release as of today, I didn’t get to try it so can’t comment on it. @Tony Trietch & @SLDMTN are both using the system and will have a complete review up before August 10th, so they’ll be able to comment more on the system and the app. Hit the Watch button upper right of lead post to subscribe so you don’t miss the review.

***Update 8/3/22*** MagView Digiscoping System Review

Pros
- light and fast
-always on the phone and optic, so always ready
-universal
-S1 Spotting Scope Adapter includes an easy-to-use lens cover
-Didn’t interfere with viewing experience on the optics I used
-Made in the USA!

Cons
-some practice required to eliminate vignette
-the plate on the phone won’t allow me to charge my phone wirelessly
-more expensive than some competitors

You can see more at their website: https://magviewgear.com/products/
Thanks for all the info! Very helpful

sndmn11

WKR
Does anyone have feedback on the binocular version of this?

Does the lens cover for the spotter version stay closed? I thought I had read somewhere that some had issues with the lens cover opening in their pack etc.

ams30gts

FNG
Thanks for gathering all that info and the reviews. I'm still stuck between the Phone Skope, NovaGrade and MagView lol