New Digiscoping Option—MagView **Review Added 8/3/22**

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So has anyone tried a iPhone 12/13/14 with MagSafe to see if you can get away with not using the plate? Would be a huge upside IMO. I went from an 11 Pro to a 14 Pro last week and now have magnetic wireless chargers in my truck and home and I’m not giving those up. If this doesn’t work then it sure is an untapped market.
I have a 14 (no pro). Can’t see how MV would work without the plate. Am I understanding your question?

And yes, I have to give up wireless during hunting season BUT I might buy a 2nd case for when I’m home.

this thing looks sweet! I already have a metal plate stuck between my phone and case for a magnet holder in my truck, hopefully that would work as is. I like how there's no other modification to your phone, and I don't have an iphone or samsung which some phone scopes require. The price will take myself some talking into though

I was just about to buy the spotting scope adapter but when I measured the eyepiece diameter on my 82mm Meopta S2 I realized it was 1/8" too small. Hopefully they will come out with something for smaller eyepieces.
Dang I haven't measured yet, but have the Cabelas Euro HD 82mm which is the same thing so probably won't work for me either
EDIT - Euro HD spotter eypiece diameter is 1.895" so a little small

So has anyone tried a iPhone 12/13/14 with MagSafe to see if you can get away with not using the plate? Would be a huge upside IMO. I went from an 11 Pro to a 14 Pro last week and now have magnetic wireless chargers in my truck and home and I’m not giving those up. If this doesn’t work then it sure is an untapped market.
The connection without a plate and case off isn't strong enough to keep the phone in position.

tak

WKR
Just got a MagView, impressed so far.

Working well on my Kowa 553 after one trip to the range. I'll get it in the field next week.
Like others, I thought it was too pricey, but the quality seems worth it so far.

As far as the Kowa, I used the smallest eye relief spacer, and the smallest ring adaptor. I still put 6 or 7 wraps of electrical tape around the eyepiece. I don't think I'll have any issues in the field, but time well tell.

The eye relief is still easily adjustable if not using the phone, and the MagView is actually very comfortable against my face. I was worried about that. In the past I could never leave the phone scope ring on the spotter if I was actually using the spotter without the phone.

I can't use the eyepiece portion of the stay-on case, so I had to remove that. I think that's pretty typical for a lot of scopes though.

Half a season down and still really liking it. Only complaint is how easy the magnet/cap flips open. I like that it closes and serves as a cover but regularly open my pack to find it flipped open. A little more resistance or maybe even some type of clasp/catch would be nice.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just got a MagView, impressed so far.

Working well on my Kowa 553 after one trip to the range. I'll get it in the field next week.
Like others, I thought it was too pricey, but the quality seems worth it so far.

As far as the Kowa, I used the smallest eye relief spacer, and the smallest ring adaptor. I still put 6 or 7 wraps of electrical tape around the eyepiece. I don't think I'll have any issues in the field, but time well tell.

The eye relief is still easily adjustable if not using the phone, and the MagView is actually very comfortable against my face. I was worried about that. In the past I could never leave the phone scope ring on the spotter if I was actually using the spotter without the phone.

I can't use the eyepiece portion of the stay-on case, so I had to remove that. I think that's pretty typical for a lot of scopes though.

What is the eyepiece diameter on that Kowa? Really would like this to work with my Razor 11-33x50, but Magview is saying the eyepiece is too small per their compatibility chart.

What is the eyepiece diameter on that Kowa? Really would like this to work with my Razor 11-33x50, but Magview is saying the eyepiece is too small per their compatibility chart.

OD on my (or I guess your old) TE-11 eyepiece is about 2". Can't find the allen key to take the magview off right now and the eyepiece tapers a bit, reading 1 15/16" on the caliper. I have the thickest spacer in right now, doubt it would fit on anything smaller.

Looks like the minimum OD Magview says is 2" so that lines up. Nothing a few wraps of electrical tape can't fix! WDE

ChrisAU

WKR
OD on my (or I guess your old) TE-11 eyepiece is about 2". Can't find the allen key to take the magview off right now and the eyepiece tapers a bit, reading 1 15/16" on the caliper. I have the thickest spacer in right now, doubt it would fit on anything smaller.

Looks like the minimum OD Magview says is 2" so that lines up. Nothing a few wraps of electrical tape can't fix! WDE

Thanks! I've meant to take a caliper to my Razor for about week now ha.

tak

WKR

It's definitely smaller than the 2 inches minimum.
It has held tight for a few uses so far.

I'd expect you to need some electrical tape, but it should work.

ChrisAU

WKR
It's definitely smaller than the 2 inches minimum.
It has held tight for a few uses so far.

I'd expect you to need some electrical tape, but it should work.

The Razor is 1.7”, a good bit under minmum unfortunately.

tak

WKR
The Razor is 1.7”, a good bit under minmum unfortunately.

Yea, that's pretty small, the Kowa measured 1.96" on my caliper, but it has hard to get it just right without taking the electrical tape off. The picture with the tape measure makes it look even smaller, but I think it's the lighting.
You can see the extra thickness from the electrical tape.

c60163d6e6ab695e69c4cbd34ebc306a.jpg

e40424077000842ba179020cef086d75.jpg

AndyB

WKR
Has anyone tried the B1 on some slc 8x42 hd's, can't see them listed on the compatibility chart? Thanks.

Last edited:

Tingrao

FNG
Yes, I hand held and could tell the ring was on the bino, and you have to adjust the right eyecup out to match the height of the ring. I’m a low-eye cup setting guy, so it took some getting used to, but not too bad. If you’re a bino-digiscoper, it’s a minor inconvenience to have a set up on your bino ready to roll if needed. Oh, and most eyecup covers on the bino won’t fit over the ring, so keep that in mind.
I am interested in some clarification on the eyecup use with the adapter attached…I like to use the eyecups fully extended and didn’t understand your comment. Can you still use both eyecups fully extended or does the adapter restrict the movement?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I am interested in some clarification on the eyecup use with the adapter attached…I like to use the eyecups fully extended and didn’t understand your comment. Can you still use both eyecups fully extended or does the adapter restrict the movement?
hi
you can run the eyecups extended, it's just the one with the Magview ring won't need to come out as far as the other. Make sense?

dank

FNG
Full season with the magview in the books and I was disappointed with the indexing. Kept trying to tell myself it wasn't that bad (due to the cash I spent on it) but I have come to terms that if the Ollin truly nails the indexing I am going to give it a try.

Anyone else make this switch? The indexing with magview just never got better with practice and cost me a few animals this year.