NEW American Rifle Company Coup De Grace Action $899

I have a few of these actions on hand at the moment. I chambered up a 20” Proof Sendero in 6.5 Creedmoor for my brother this summer and dropped it into a Manners PH mini chassis. It required very minor mods to the chassis but otherwise was good to go. The rifle absolutely hammers. He used it to kill a big 5 point bull a few ago at 820 yards. The AW mags are really nice and functioned perfectly right from the start.

I was planning to build a 7 PRC for myself on a CDG using the Hawkins Hunter mags. But the long action CDG will only work with AICS magazines. I don’t want those so I now have a couple long actions that will be for sale when I get some time to list them.

I really like the ball style bolt knob these actions.

Attachments

• 93B9CB2E-BC26-4035-9395-7A8928006981.jpeg
    93B9CB2E-BC26-4035-9395-7A8928006981.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 76

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few of these actions on hand at the moment. I chambered up a 20” Proof Sendero in 6.5 Creedmoor for my brother this summer and dropped it into a Manners PH mini chassis. It required very minor mods to the chassis but otherwise was good to go. The rifle absolutely hammers. He used it to kill a big 5 point bull a few ago at 820 yards. The AW mags are really nice and functioned perfectly right from the start.

I was planning to build a 7 PRC for myself on a CDG using the Hawkins Hunter mags. But the long action CDG will only work with AICS magazines. I don’t want those so I now have a couple long actions that will be for sale when I get some time to list them.

Nice! I have the ball knob on mine too, love it. I have my CDG fitted with a PVA 6.5 CM barrel and AIAW mags. Shoots fantastic and runs so smoothly and solid. I’m excited to see what Ted cooks up next for a hunting action.

I don’t even mind the weight of this action but the mag well is too narrow to allow the Hawkins mag to go high enough. The long action AICS mags are just too big. I’m curious if Ted changes this on the hunter model.

I’ve owned numerous factory and custom actions with weak ejection so I really like the mechanical ejection on the CDG.

SDHNTR

WKR
I still don’t understand all this aics aiw XYZ and abc magazine mumbo jumbo. Too many options and too many potential problems. BDL just works without the fuss and rattletrap plastic things that get lost.

I bought one of the CDG actions in the pre order. I’ve had it since 4th of July. Got it sitting in a foundation cerntion with a PVA 25 creed prefit. Hawkins M5 and AW mag. Still haven’t had time to load ammo or mount a scope. It runs dummy rounds slick as shit.

I used to be a BDL only guy but I’ve seen so many issues with them I finally switched to DBM’s. The detachable mag setups are far more reliable and usually don’t require any fiddling to make them work, I can’t say the same for BDL’s.

Sorry, I missed your question, the CDG actions work just fine in standard stocks. We put my brothers rifle in a mini chassis because Manners happened to have that one in stock, skipping the 6-12 month wait was pretty attractive…

SDHNTR

WKR
Sorry, I missed your question, the CDG actions work just fine in standard stocks. We put my brothers rifle in a mini chassis because Manners happened to have that one in stock, skipping the 6-12 month wait was pretty attractive…
I’m not a chassis fan, as you can probably guess. Are there any stocks where the ejection port inletting actually lines up with the receiver port? That mismatch, functional or not, would drive me nuts.

SDHNTR

WKR
I used to be a BDL only guy but I’ve seen so many issues with them I finally switched to DBM’s. The detachable mag setups are far more reliable and usually don’t require any fiddling to make them work, I can’t say the same for BDL’s.
I admittedly have limited experience with DBM’s. I have one that is factory on a Win M70 and no issues since it’s a factory design. And I built/assembled a rifle for a buddy with a Hawkins Hunter DBM and he likes it but the whole thing rattled and felt cheap to me. I hated it. Guess I’m too much of a traditionalist. Your perspective is opposite of my impression. You hear all the time about XYZ clone not working with aics or aw, yada yada, but I don’t seem to hear about BDL’s not working, ever. Unless somebody is trying to load long coal. I could be wrong on that, just not what I’ve seen/heard. Yes, they might need some minor tweaking to the mag spring from time to time, but I’ve never had any trouble with any BDL mag, given a saami length cartridge and a receiver designed for same.

The manners LRH and PH have a lower stock line that lines up with the bottom of the ejection port so they are basically a universal fit. Most of these stock companies are now offering an inlet specifically for the CDG action so the ejection port cutout will line right up. I agree though, that mismatch doesn’t really jive with my OCD. It’s a relatively easy job to modify the stock to match with basic hand tools.

I recently built a 6.5 PRC on a Remington 700 with a BDL and Wyatt’s mag box. It took several hours of making adjustments to finally get it functioning properly. I would bet my last dollar that the Hawkins Hunter setup would have fed from the get go. The mags do rattle until you load them, once loaded the spring pressure holds them in place and no rattle so it’s been a non issue for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
The manners LRH and PH have a lower stock line that lines up with the bottom of the ejection port so they are basically a universal fit. Most of these stock companies are now offering an inlet specifically for the CDG action so the ejection port cutout will line right up. I agree though, that mismatch doesn’t really jive with my OCD. It’s a relatively easy job to modify the stock to match with basic hand tools.

I recently built a 6.5 PRC on a Remington 700 with a BDL and Wyatt’s mag box. It took several hours of making adjustments to finally get it functioning properly. I would bet my last dollar that the Hawkins Hunter setup would have fed from the get go. The mags do rattle until you load them, once loaded the spring pressure holds them in place and no rattle so it’s been a non issue for me.
Yes, I’m sure it would be an easy job to modify that inletting, until you grind through the carbon fiber shell and are into the filling. At least that would be my fear.

And yes, BDL‘s, and Wyatt’s boxes can be trouble, hence my comment earlier about keeping stuff factory length. The only BDL I’ve ever had trouble with was also with a Wyatts box and I had to go to a Center feed, thus losing a round of capacity, in order for it to work. But with SAAMI stuff, not an issue. As for the Hawkins DBM and the rattle, yes, I know it stops once you have spring pressure from some rounds in the mag, but there’s that OCD thing again. I’m of the mindset that nothing on a firearm should rattle, ever. Rattles are bad in machinery, imo. Rattling means something doesn’t fit together properly, or is loose when it should be tight. It just bothers me. Hawkins has also been rather aloof in their communications and videos about the issue. They know of it and rather than offering suggestions, or striving for improvement, they make it seem like the consumer who complains about it is an idiot.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider

Nice! I have the ball knob on mine too, love it. I have my CDG fitted with a PVA 6.5 CM barrel and AIAW mags. Shoots fantastic and runs so smoothly and solid. I’m excited to see what Ted cooks up next for a hunting action.
I’m a fan of the hourglass design, I like running the action by lifting up the bolt with my trigger finger so having that groove to keep it out on the end of the bolt handle helps.

I still don’t understand all this aics aiw XYZ and abc magazine mumbo jumbo. Too many options and too many potential problems. BDL just works without the fuss and rattletrap plastic things that get lost.
It’s generally just two, AICS and AIAW.

AICS - Accuracy International Chassis System. AI developed one of the first chassis for the Remington 700 and their magazine pattern became the standard. These are center feed which allows the cartridge to sit high enough in the action to be caught by the bolt on two lug actions.

AIAW - Accuracy International Arctic Warfare. These true double stack magazines were developed for the AIAW rifle which has a 3 lug bolt with a downward facing lug allowing it to work with the double stack mags. They generally aren’t used for 700 style actions as the two lug designs need more of the bottom of the action removed to allow the mag to sit high enough to properly feed cartridges.

Since the CDG uses a 3 lug design with the downward lug it can use either of these mags you just have to use the proper height mag latch.

Were these ARC actions built specifically to be mounted into chassis?
They were designed to fit any Remington 700 stock or chassis with only minor fitment for the trigger hanger and ejection port. At this point most stock makers will have a specific cut for it now.
Yes, I’m sure it would be an easy job to modify that inletting, until you grind through the carbon fiber shell and are into the filling. At least that would be my fear.

And yes, BDL‘s, and Wyatt’s boxes can be trouble, hence my comment earlier about keeping stuff factory length. The only BDL I’ve ever had trouble with was also with a Wyatts box and I had to go to a Center feed, thus losing a round of capacity, in order for it to work. But with SAAMI stuff, not an issue. As for the Hawkins DBM and the rattle, yes, I know it stops once you have spring pressure from some rounds in the mag, but there’s that OCD thing again. I’m of the mindset that nothing on a firearm should rattle, ever. Rattles are bad in machinery, imo. Rattling means something doesn’t fit together properly, or is loose when it should be tight. It just bothers me. Hawkins has also been rather aloof in their communications and videos about the issue. They know of it and rather than offering suggestions, or striving for improvement, they make it seem like the consumer who complains about it is an idiot.
The rattle is due to the clearance so that the empty magazine drops free even if dirt or dust gets into the mag well. I have some that don’t rattle when they are empty, they are finicky to lock up and don’t drop free when you release them so you have to pull them out.

If you have even one round in them the spring tension holds them square and stops the rattle. So it’s really not a problem since the only time it rattles is when you aren’t actually using it. One other way to avoid it is to use polymer mags, due to their design they usually fit tighter than the metal mags and don’t rattle.

I personally have 3D printed single shot sleds that I use in my rifles when I’m not using the magazines. They don’t rattle and allow for quickly dropping a cartridge in the ejection port and closing the bolt.

gabenzeke

WKR
Do you know for sure manners will inlet for the CDG specifically? I intend to email them, but figured you may know. And in the off chance they don't get, you're saying if I order, say a PH in rem 700 long action, it will fit my LA CDG?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know for sure manners will inlet for the CDG specifically? I intend to email them, but figured you may know. And in the off chance they don't get, you're saying if I order, say a PH in rem 700 long action, it will fit my LA CDG?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
The Pro Hunter and LRH will fit any clone as they lowered the sides to not interfere with the ejection port. Here it is in a short action

IMG_6956.jpeg

I have a long action PH and a couple long action CDG’s on hand, I was going to take a picture but it looks like CMP beat me to it. I haven’t ordered any stocks from Manners specifically for the CDG yet but they normally are pretty quick to pick up new inlets. The difference in inlets between a Rem 700 and the CDG is very minor so while I can’t say for sure, I would bet they have addressed it.

That said, the PH and LRH are outstanding stocks and as CMP noted, they work with basically any Rem 700 footprint actions. These two are by far my favorite stocks out of anything produced by all the big stock names currently.