never rifle hunted before

scottstef

FNG
I have never rifle hunted whitetail before and am looking at a .308 (was going with a .308 since I like that round for hog hunting as well) in the lower price range to try this year. I will be hunting in Maryland probably on the flat eastern shore, but possible some of the mountains in western Maryland and am looking for suggestions for a lower priced rifle to see if I like rifle hunting. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

These will help greatly! Good luck in your search!!

OP
S

scottstef

FNG
Another vote for a Ruger American rifle. Great shooting, easy on the wallet, and easy to resell if you don't like it.
thx

These will help greatly! Good luck in your search!!
thx

Lower end Ruger, savage or even some of the Remington's, Haunt the local pawn shops there are good rifles there that can be had for a decent price and a bit of haggling. Be careful on the Maryland eastern shore area a lot of that is shotgun only.

OP
S

scottstef

FNG
Lower end Ruger, savage or even some of the Remington's, Haunt the local pawn shops there are good rifles there that can be had for a decent price and a bit of haggling. Be careful on the Maryland eastern shore area a lot of that is shotgun only.
I'm down near lower, slower Delaware, we can use anything here....

WCB

WKR
Ruger American, Savage Axis (make sure it has the Accutrigger) would be the top two picks in no particular order. Have friends that bought them for a "truck" or "beater" gun and they end up shooting as good or better than most rifles.

.308 would be a great choice for a first rifle. In case you do like it and want to head out west for elk also, I like it better than a 6.5 creed or any of the 6's. Also, noticed someone tagged the .223 thread. Sorry but I know it CAN be done but there are 100% better options.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
There are a lot of good choices available, Howa, Savage, Ruger, etc. What is your budget for the rifle? Where abouts in Maryland are you located?

OP
S

scottstef

FNG
There are a lot of good choices available, Howa, Savage, Ruger, etc. What is your budget for the rifle? Where abouts in Maryland are you located?
Live on the eastern shore, but plan to start doing a trip up to green river each year for deer.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Ideally you should shoot some different calibers and rifles before making your choice. I think a .223 or a 6.5 CM would make a great first rifle, I would lean towards the .223 because it will also make a good training rifle, because of its low recoil and cheaper ammo.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Ever hit catoctin orchards? They will let you hunt there, and have some big does getting fat on those apple trees 😂
Actually I didn’t know that the orchards would let you hunt their property, I must live in a cave. Catoctin is not too far from me.