High Cascades

loordan

FNG
Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I’m located in the PNW near Eugene Oregon. I was wondering if any of you have hunted in the high cascades in the past few years. If my plans fall through this year and I don’t draw over east I would like to have a backup plan and spend considerable time in the high country. I’ve heard deer hunting in the cascades is tough but I am up for a challenge. I was hopeing to get some good intel from this forum , I am not looking for someone’s honey holes , but some good strategy/advice. I am a young man in my mid 20’s and a fairly green hunter. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Pdzoller

WKR

Welcome.
Read through the Blacktail forum. Should be all the information you are looking for in there. I’m no expert but I do see a lot of bucks up there. Learn what Ceanothus looks like. You will need good boots and decent optics because you are going to be glassing until you feel like your eyes are bleeding. Glass burns, edges of high meadows, ridges and plan on packing something comfortable to sit on.

Strange things happen in the Cascades so make sure to have your inreach or something similar and bring a backup navigation system (map, compass…)

Get your fall bear tag while you’re at it. The Cascades are crawling with them.

Good luck

IDVortex

WKR
I'm trying to convince my brother to do a high Cascade deer hunt this fall, but with a general tag. Goal is going to be getting up high and glassing. Nice thing is with that area is the PCT, down side is the PCT tho. Just find some ridges/valleys up high and hunt. And be willing to hump ridges each day.

OP
L

loordan

FNG

Welcome.
Read through the Blacktail forum. Should be all the information you are looking for in there. I’m no expert but I do see a lot of bucks up there. Learn what Ceanothus looks like. You will need good boots and decent optics because you are going to be glassing until you feel like your eyes are bleeding. Glass burns, edges of high meadows, ridges and plan on packing something comfortable to sit on.

Strange things happen in the Cascades so make sure to have your inreach or something similar and bring a backup navigation system (map, compass…)

Get your fall bear tag while you’re at it. The Cascades are crawling with them.

Good luck
This is very helpful ! Thank you very much. I will definitely get my bear tag as well.

OP
L

loordan

FNG
I'm trying to convince my brother to do a high Cascade deer hunt this fall, but with a general tag. Goal is going to be getting up high and glassing. Nice thing is with that area is the PCT, down side is the PCT tho. Just find some ridges/valleys up high and hunt. And be willing to hump ridges each day.
Nice I was considering backpacking near diamond peak and maybe spending 4-5 days up their. Not to familiar with diamond peak but have spent a fairly good amount of time near hills creek

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I am not looking for someone’s honey holes , but some good strategy/advice.
Its been more than a few years but Ive hunted this area a couple times and it skunked me but not for a lack of deer. Find a ridgeline with [even a small] bench just below it in heavy timber and look for single deer beds and thats your golden ticket. You often wont have to go far from a road either....

For some really good strategy, pro hunter/guide Scott Haugen wrote a book specifically on blacktail hunting literally covering the high cascades in your area in detail. Order direct from his website for best price.

OP
L

loordan

FNG
Its been more than a few years but Ive hunted this area a couple times and it skunked me but not for a lack of deer. Find a ridgeline with [even a small] bench just below it in heavy timber and look for single deer beds and thats your golden ticket. You often wont have to go far from a road either....

For some really good strategy, pro hunter/guide Scott Haugen wrote a book specifically on blacktail hunting literally covering the high cascades in your area in detail. Order direct from his website for best
I will give that a try . Just ordered his book from his website. 20 bucks with free shipping in Oregon. Thank you

Pdzoller

WKR
First time you glass a mature buck you’ll become addicted. It will probably take some time before you can find bucks on a regular basis so be patient.