Need a new truck, what’s good?

Broomd

WKR
Manager at Toyota told me the reason they dropped the 5.7 was to meet emissions with not only the truck, but the fleet of vehicles they offer. Hence, the twin turbo v6 hybrid. Then they dropped the price on a new limited hybrid by over 10k trying to sell me a new truck.

Told them they were insane and out to their mind. I’ll gladly keep the tundra they were changing oil on. 2020 5.7 v8

Just wish I wasn’t about to roll 100,000 miles already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loving my '20 with 36k on it! Our trucks are worth more now with the disaster that is the gen 3...

Ucsdryder

WKR
Someone is stuck on "it's a great deal" versus "this is a good vehicle". You could sell him used TP if you said it was 90% off.

Ask him about his super custom rifle from last year that was a bargain...

When it comes to cars I’ll take a great deal every single time. They depreciate too fast to get caught up in snorkels and winches. Ultimately they’re the same car, add ons are increased dealer/manufacturer profit.

180ls1

WKR
How does the EPA share blame for EB junk cam phaser and the bad manifolds? My manifold didn't even last 75k

Manufacturers are having to cut corners when it comes to reliability to save weight and pass emissions.

Your engine likely has a plastic intake, iron block, aluminum heads, iron manifolds, plastic pan, and I forget what else. Now add boost, vvt and other things I am forgetting and you have a setup much more prone to failure.

intunegp

WKR
The good and bad of the internet is that you get to hear from every single person who found out their lug nuts were 5 lbs under-torqued from the factory.

I'm not convinced trucks are significantly worse than they used to be, just that you hear about every single one that has an issue. You can research any make and model and find anecdotes of a 300,000 mile golden boy, and a piece of crap that should have never left the factory. Typically when it comes to running to the internet to share an opinion, angry people are much quicker on the draw than satisfied people.

As with anything else when you choose to buy the first generation of new technologies you're faced with the possibility that it could be the next big thing, or a failed experiment that made it to production.

My 2010 Raptor just rolled over 175,000 and right now I hope to drive it 175,000 more.

manitou1

WKR
Loving my '20 with 36k on it! Our trucks are worth more now with the disaster that is the gen 3...
Not realy a disaster is it?
All newly developed trucks w/ new engines have a few hiccups the first couple years... all of them, even the gen 2 Tundras did.

Broomd

WKR
Not realy a disaster is it?
All newly developed trucks w/ new engines have a few hiccups the first couple years... all of them, even the gen 2 Tundras did.
I would call it so.
We're three model years into this vehicle and Toyota just finally announced a recall of 100,000 Gen 3 trucks for new engines. Cab off for every one of those.
If that isn't an unmitigated disaster, I don't know what is. Many of us so looked forward to the all-new Tundra and this has been the result! Good lord, 'ridiculous' is keeping it kind.

Fit, finish, rattles, blown engines, blown trannies, you name it, every manner of issue with these 50k-80k trucks. Crazy for Toyota no less!

I've been pretty happy with Tacomas, especially my 2017. I have 115K on it, and wish I only had 15k. Its been great. I think better than my 06.

Has me wondering if I should pick up a 22-23 if I can find one but no payments is nice.

WRO

WKR
I would call it so.
We're three model years into this vehicle and Toyota just finally announced a recall of 100,000 Gen 3 trucks for new engines. Cab off for every one of those.
If that isn't an unmitigated disaster, I don't know what is. Many of us so looked forward to the all-new Tundra and this has been the result! Good lord, 'ridiculous' is keeping it kind.

Fit, finish, rattles, blown engines, blown trannies, you name it, every manner of issue with these 50k-80k trucks. Crazy for Toyota no less!

No where does it say that they are replacing the engines.

They don’t even have an announced plan.

Broomd

WKR
No where does it say that they are replacing the engines.

They don’t even have an announced plan.

Announced plan:
Toyota and Lexus are recalling approximately 102,000 Toyota Tundra and Lexus LX600 vehicles due to potential machining debris that may be left inside the engines during manufacturing. This affects only the non-hybrid versions of the Tundra and the LX600 with the 3.4L twin-turbo V6 engine that were manufactured over the 2022-2023 period. TFL Andre Smirnov

Engines apart = cab off. One doesn't have to be psychic to see where this is going.

knehrke

FNG
My last few F150 have gotten to >200K miles. In fact, when I bought my 2019, I put new belts and did a tuneup on my 2010 and gave it to a buddy's girlfriend's son, since he was in a band and needed a way to haul his gear around - and the truck had a Leer cap on it (don't get me started on caps though, I'm not a fan of any of them with lights leaking, locks breaking, poor quality control Grrrr....). Anyhow, he's still driving it today, five years later. Other than a bum oxygen sensor of one of the vehicles, which was an easy fix. they've been mint.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Announced plan:
Toyota and Lexus are recalling approximately 102,000 Toyota Tundra and Lexus LX600 vehicles due to potential machining debris that may be left inside the engines during manufacturing. This affects only the non-hybrid versions of the Tundra and the LX600 with the 3.4L twin-turbo V6 engine that were manufactured over the 2022-2023 period. TFL Andre Smirnov

Engines apart = cab off. One doesn't have to be psychic to see where this is going.

Announced plan:

Maybe. My wife’s Kia had a similar recall. They put a camera in and ran it near redline looking for issues, didn’t see any and called it good. I think they also added a lifetime warranty for the engine. Son is still driving it at 150k+. I’m sure they found issues with some of them and replaced engines, but not all. Time will tell, but I suspect the Tundra issue will play out similarly.

Reactions: WRO