Need a new rangefinder

j_volt

WKR
I appreciate this conversation as I am looking for a new RF. I am on my 4th Vortex Ranger 1800 and they all have been terrible.

I’d like to find a rangefinder that can consistently range a deer at ~1500. I was looking at the Maven RF.1. Any thoughts on that?

Budget isn’t a huge concern of mine, I just like to see value in spending more money. I see everyone recommending Leica - any particular reason?

pirogue

WKR
Before I retired, I managed many multi-million dollar construction projects and worked with hundreds of contractors. All the best and most reputable, used Leica equipment. I never considered anything other than a Leica rangefinder.

Elite

WKR
a73deac6432a0301f2b471d83c4c275b.jpg

This is from the Leica 2800.com manual. Is anyone able to range game animals farther then 500m? Seems extremely low for that price point in a range finder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I appreciate this conversation as I am looking for a new RF. I am on my 4th Vortex Ranger 1800 and they all have been terrible.

I’d like to find a rangefinder that can consistently range a deer at ~1500. I was looking at the Maven RF.1. Any thoughts on that?

Budget isn’t a huge concern of mine, I just like to see value in spending more money. I see everyone recommending Leica - any particular reason?
Leica invented the tech over 30 years ago. They make the best laser (most accurate, less divergence) and processor. They are made in Europe and IMO quite a bit better than everything else that comes out of a few factories in China. The distance by Leica are also accurate, unlike a lot of the other brands.

You should be able to get the laser Divergence from each manufacturer. This is the real date you are interested in. It's usually something like 1.7 x 0.5 mrad which would be good. I believe that's what the Leica 3500 divergence is at. Then you need a good processor to read that info. (Correct me if I am wrong)
The red display is also usually more expensive and helps in low lite, black is worthless in low lite.

Lastly you want a good lens to let in as much light as possible and give you a clear picture and good button placement.

Here is a good pic to help explain.
R.4d7aed857980e4522bd0b8585e0d6dbf

Last edited:

Ludo

FNG
Man, I just went down that rabbit hole before last elk season, and finally settled on the Maven RF1. It’s phenomenal. They have a significant military discount as well, AND, they have a program where they’ll send it to you to try before you buy. I swear by the RF1. It’s a little bulky compared to some others, but not too big. Clarity is awesome and it ranges very quickly.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man, I just went down that rabbit hole before last elk season, and finally settled on the Maven RF1. It’s phenomenal. They have a significant military discount as well, AND, they have a program where they’ll send it to you to try before you buy. I swear by the RF1. It’s a little bulky compared to some others, but not too big. Clarity is awesome and it ranges very quickly.
I don't know much about the Maven stuff. It's good? Are they made in Japan or China?

Elite

WKR

Does the RF1 use applied ballistics or any programming to generate MOA adjustments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about the Maven stuff. It's good? Are they made in Japan or China?
Maven‘s B series are Japanese fabricated glass and components and C series mostly Chinese. Their optics are usually very good and punch above their weight in the quality/$ equation.

However, I‘ve been down the rangefinder path a number of times and always come home to Leica CRF. Been using them for over 20 years. As Happy Antelope points out, Leica has been in this game for quite some time. Deadly accurate, bright/sharp optics with an easy readout, a sleek shape that is easy to handle and operate, and IME the best laser in the business.

Case in point — I was on a mountain hunt a few years back where upon arrival I met up with a couple of guys in base-camp who where seriously bragging up their rangefinders and insisting how much better they were than my Leica CRF. Well, a good part of that week there was rain and thick fog – my Leica was still cutting accurate ranges and angle compensation when those ”better“ units simply couldn’t provide any range solution.

As a mountain hunting device a Leica CRF is simply superb.

j_volt

WKR
You all really having me want to buy a Leica, but the warranty and range on game for the price both seem very poor relative to competitors. I must be missing something. Time for more time on the google machine…

You all really having me want to buy a Leica, but the warranty and range on game for the price both seem very poor relative to competitors. I must be missing something.
Range on game??? What’s better designed and more consistently accurate even under adverse field hunting conditions? — nothing I know of. Other folks have been trying to clone and improve their system for the past few decades. I’ve tried some of others that were heavily hyped as being superior only to always return to Leica.

Warranty - yes, in years past Leica’s customer service left much to be desired, but they’ve really improved in recent years. A few years back I had a CRF 1000-R that finally failed after more than a decade of very rough field use. Sent it in to Leica and they very quickly replaced it with a new one. So, when I finally wanted to upgrade to a newer design with better technology and ballistics, the 3500.com was a no-brainer. Best laser and processor and much more important — I have complete confidence that it will accurately range when I need it most.

After years of saving, researching, training, gearing-up, shooting/load-dev, drawing tags, and enduring everything to finally get into position for that shot on a once-in-a-lifetime sheep, goat, moose, elk — that is no time to find out your rangefinder simply cannot cut through the mist or provide an accurate solution. Was in mountain base-camp a few years back where a few guys were crying the blues about exactly that experience. It’s just not worth the few $ saved.

Last edited:

j_volt

WKR
Range on game??? What’s better designed and more consistently accurate even under adverse field hunting conditions? — nothing I know of. Other folks have been trying to clone and improve their system for the past few decades. I’ve tried some of others that were heavily hyped as being superior only to always return to Leica.

Warranty - yes, in years past Leica’s customer service left much to be desired, but they’ve really improved in recent years. A few years back I had a CRF 1200 that finally failed after more than a decade of very rough field use. Sent it in to Leica and they very quickly replaced it with a new one. So, when I finally wanted to upgrade to a newer design with better technology and ballistics, the 3500.com was a no-brainer. Best laser and processor and much more important — I have complete confidence that it will accurately range when I need it most.

After years of saving, researching, training, gearing-up, shooting/load-dev, drawing tags, and enduring everything to finally get into position for that shot on a once-in-a-lifetime sheep, goat, moose, elk — that is no time to find out your rangefinder simply cannot cut through the mist or provide an accurate solution. Was in mountain base-camp a few years back where a few guys were crying the blues about exactly that experience. It’s just not worth the few $ saved.
Effective Ranging Distance on Game/Price:

Maven RF.1 - 2700 yards/$450
Leica 2800.com - 500 meters/$750
Leica 3500.com - 1200 meters/$1250

I understand there is a lot more to a rangefinder than how far it can range deer, but I am a pretty simple human that gets excited by big numbers. More yards = more better, right?!

Leica sounds great from personal experience for many on the forum... I am sure they are great, but I am still trying to ascertain the reason for the increased value over some competitors. Don't get me wrong, I love spending money on great gear, but I like to believe whatever I bought is worth the extra coin.

JGRaider

WKR
I'm one that has had terrible luck with Leica RF's, mainly the Geovids. I had a previous version (4003 IIRC) 2000 yd model that wouldn't come near meeting the Leica RF spec. A few years later I tried 3 different (yes, 3) 3200.com's and none of them would come close to the specs either. They paled in comparison to my Sig Kilo 3000's I had, and my current Fury HD AB.

Hi JG — yes, cannot argue about some folks experiencing issues with the Geovids (especially earlier models). Sorry you had that experience and I’m certain it left a bad aftertaste. But have not heard of similar issues with the CRFs. Mine have all worked pretty much flawlessly even under the most extreme conditions. I didn’t want to dime out a brand when discussing the sheep camp failure to cut through the mountain mist — they were Sigs.

Felix40

WKR
I typically wouldn’t buy vortex but I took a gamble on a razor rangefinder and I think it’s great. It hits ranges way over anything that I actually need. I had a sig before that and I like the razor at least 2x more. I’m hitting game animals over 1500 very easily.

I understand there is a lot more to a rangefinder than how far it can range deer, but I am a pretty simple human that gets excited by big numbers. More yards = more better, right?!
Unfortunately there is no real standardization or certification of these recommended range limits. Leica is obviously extremely conservative in their recommendations for ranging on game. I can say that I’ve used both the 2800 and 3500 in the field and both accurately range game far beyond those recommended distances. The big difference between those two units is the 3500 uses a 3R laser and more advanced processor.

I am a Maven fan and own(ed) several. But I’m not buying that the RF.1 will consistently and accurately range game at 2700 yards under field conditions. Just like I don‘t believe their binoculars truly offer 95% light transmission (100% certain an Independent test would not rate it that high). In fact, if one reads the footnotes on the Maven specs — their rangefinder accuracy testing was done on a completely white 2ftx2ft target at 300 yards.

However, since I can get a significant discount on Maven products I may just buy one to knock it around and see what I think. Do I expect it will match or outperform my Leica 3500 in the field – not really. But there is such a large Maven fanbase here that it would sell like lightning if I don’t like it.

JGRaider

WKR
Hi JG — yes, cannot argue about some folks experiencing issues with the Geovids (especially earlier models). Sorry you had that experience and I’m certain it left a bad aftertaste. But have not heard of similar issues with the CRFs. Mine have all worked pretty much flawlessly even under the most extreme conditions. I didn’t want to dime out a brand when discussing the sheep camp failure to cut through the mountain mist — they were Sigs.
10-4 Spiral on the crf's and I'd take your word for that. My Sig had big issues with the laser POA alignment with the circle reticle. It landed outside the circle at 6:30, and Sig said it was "within spec". Not sure how it could be that far out of alignment and Sig still calling it good. Another thing to be aware of with Sig is that their 5 yr warranty is from date of manufacture, not date you buy it. They tried to screw me over on that minor detail as well.

I have a Leica Rangemaster 1600, that I bought very gently used, about 5 years ago. It does what it's supposed to do, very well. Full disclosure, I've never owned (or even looked through) any other RF. I don't have any need to.

Last edited:

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Leica sounds great from personal experience for many on the forum... I am sure they are great, but I am still trying to ascertain the reason for the increased value over some competitors. Don't get me wrong, I love spending money on great gear, but I like to believe whatever I bought is worth the extra coin.
The distances are misleading because Leica does not exaggerate their distances like everyone else. This is well know in the industry. Just food for thought.