Need a new rangefinder

I appreciate this conversation as I am looking for a new RF. I am on my 4th Vortex Ranger 1800 and they all have been terrible.

I’d like to find a rangefinder that can consistently range a deer at ~1500. I was looking at the Maven RF.1. Any thoughts on that?

Budget isn’t a huge concern of mine, I just like to see value in spending more money. I see everyone recommending Leica - any particular reason?
Yes, Because I bought one in 2005 and still in service today. It looks like hell but its still working like new. I have never spent another penny on a RF. If this on craps out I will replace with another Leica. Probably the 2400. Pretty rough use all these years In very long seasons with hot, cold , dusty, wet , dry weather. It spent a decade or better out of its case bouncing around in a atv saddlebag. Never has failed to range. Not once. I take the battery out after season put a new on in before season.

Flyjunky

WKR
^^^This. Close thread.
I’d take the BR4 any day over a Leica. Better beam divergence, super fast processor, and the wind function is awesome.

Granted, I’ve only played with a Leica 2700 for a few weeks and own an sig, but after using a BR4….no question. Just my thoughts

WMag338

WKR
I’d take the BR4 any day over a Leica. Better beam divergence, super fast processor, and the wind function is awesome.

Granted, I’ve only played with a Leica 2700 for a few weeks and own an sig, but after using a BR4….no question. Just my thoughts
Interesting. I don't have any experience with a BR4.

Axlrod

WKR

I have had Leica's for probably 20+ years, know lots of hunters that have them too. Never one time any issues with them working. Last spring I ordered 2 BR4's for me and a buddy. BOTH were defective out of the box. We received replacements promptly and started using them. I liked mine a lot. Put my ballistics in and got to know the BR4 well. Spring bear, and fall archery, I packed both the BR4 and my Leica. I used the Leica more during archery, because there is no "clutter" in the view finder, just a range number.
Opening day or rifle season it was rain then snow. The BR4 wouldn't range when the Leica would. Then over my next 10 hunting mornings(not consecutive), with temps from -10 to 20 above, the BR4 wouldn't range at all. The Leica worked perfectly. Both had been left out in my truck overnight. I changed batteries between the 2 RF's and tried several new ones in the BR4. My buddy's BR4 worked fine in the same conditions.
Gunwerks has mine back, they tested it in the cold, and confirmed it wasn't working correctly. They couldn't give me a time frame for a return. So with having seen first hand 3 out of 4 defective range finders I will be taking my Leica with me every time when I get the BR4 back.

WMag338

WKR
I have had Leica's for probably 20+ years, know lots of hunters that have them too. Never one time any issues with them working. Last spring I ordered 2 BR4's for me and a buddy. BOTH were defective out of the box. We received replacements promptly and started using them. I liked mine a lot. Put my ballistics in and got to know the BR4 well. Spring bear, and fall archery, I packed both the BR4 and my Leica. I used the Leica more during archery, because there is no "clutter" in the view finder, just a range number.
Opening day or rifle season it was rain then snow. The BR4 wouldn't range when the Leica would. Then over my next 10 hunting mornings(not consecutive), with temps from -10 to 20 above, the BR4 wouldn't range at all. The Leica worked perfectly. Both had been left out in my truck overnight. I changed batteries between the 2 RF's and tried several new ones in the BR4. My buddy's BR4 worked fine in the same conditions.
Gunwerks has mine back, they tested it in the cold, and confirmed it wasn't working correctly. They couldn't give me a time frame for a return. So with having seen first hand 3 out of 4 defective range finders I will be taking my Leica with me every time when I get the BR4 back.
Great real world comparison!

Flyjunky

WKR
That’s some bad luck.

Very interesting about the snow. This year it was snowing big, heavy flakes on opening morning. We spotted two bulls across the ridge and I couldn’t get a reading with my sig, it kept saying 30-40 yards. My buddy put his br4 in “far” mode and had a reading in seconds.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting. I don't have any experience with a BR4.
Leica 2800 is .5x1.2 and BR4 is .2x1.6.

As far as the speed the Leica is .3 seconds, I'm not sure how much faster you can get than that. Leica is famous for the best processors and lenses in the world for their cameras, ask Sony.

The BH4 says it's operating temp is only down to -4F vs -20 for Leica

The BH4 weighs 2.3 oz more

Both are super good products. I would be happy worh either.

The BR4 is double the price.

Flyjunky

WKR
Leica 2800 is .5x1.2 and BR4 is .2x1.6.

As far as the speed the Leica is .3 seconds, I'm not sure how much faster you can get than that. Leica is famous for the best processors and lenses in the world for their cameras, ask Sony.

The BH4 says it's operating temp is only down to -4F vs -20 for Leica

The BH4 weighs 2.3 oz more

Both are super good products. I would be happy worh either.

The BR4 is double the price.
Maybe I'll have to give Leica another shot before I dump this sig.

Does Leica give wind holds or do I need to hook up a kestrel?

Last edited:
I had an sig 3K and was a little disappointed. I like Sigs rangefinders and was excited about archery mode but glass was barely adequate for my eyes. Went back to Maven RF1 for now.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had an sig 3K and was a little disappointed. I like Sigs rangefinders and was excited about archery mode but glass was barely adequate for my eyes. Went back to Maven RF1 for now.
People forget about the quality the gas on the range finders that's what makes the Leica so good