nat geo food

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
They do seem tuff to find right now. I couldn't find them on amazon yet and the live prepared web site only sells full kits not individuals pouches. They were just released in May so it may take a while to get around. The wire knows to grab um when she sees um now. And yeah Brock I'll bring both so you can try one too

Some quick info. off the packages I looked at when I was at Wally World today . . .

Creamy Rice w/ Chicken
8.92 oz
2 servings @760 calories per
1120 mg sodium per serving

Chili Mac w/Beef
5.43 oz
2 servings @260 calories per
660 mg sodium per serving

Pasta Alfredo w/Chicken
8.82 oz
2 servings @530 calories per
1430 mg sodium per serving

Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
8.47 oz
2 servings @550 calories per
1260 mg sodium

Pasta Marinara w/Beef
4.23 oz
2 servings @200 calories per
610 mg sodium

Granola w/ Milk and Blueberries
3.74 oz
2 servings @210 calories per
75 mg sodium

Oatmeal w/ Strawberries
3.25 oz
2 servings @190 calories per
90 mg sodium

I haven't actually tried any yet, so no comment on taste, etc.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
Not a real big news flash that if you want big calories and low weight for backpacking it's not going to be health food. Pretty much everything I carry for food would kill you in about a year if it's all you ate. But I'm not carrying 5 pounds of food a day. With these I can probably get down around 22oz a day with my other stuff. It's ok with me if it's not going to make the opra cook book

Bambistew

WKR
I've seen them at Walmart here in AK. They were in the food section where they have all the dehydrated (preper section), not the camping section. Heavier than MT house for the same calories, I believe you have to simmer them as well.

JG358

WKR
Not a real big news flash that if you want big calories and low weight for backpacking it's not going to be health food. Pretty much everything I carry for food would kill you in about a year if it's all you ate. But I'm not carrying 5 pounds of food a day. With these I can probably get down around 22oz a day with my other stuff. It's ok with me if it's not going to make the opra cook book

Wasnt expecting health food, just prefer it not to be borderline toxic ;)

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Sounds to me like you have a problem with the length of your utensil

Lol. This is classic.

You ever try doing your own dehydrated meals? 8 ounces of elk pasta is more filling than any MH I have tried, and so much better tasting. It's certainly a lot more work though.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
size comparison. mac and cheese is one of the highest cal MH

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 179
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
You ever try doing your own dehydrated meals? .

no. i really dont see the point spending all that time on food i can just buy. my philosophy on back pack hunting is im not out there for the great meals and comfy bed. i spend as close to zero time as i can cooking in the back country and bring just what i need to keep me going. half the time im hungry and the other half im forcing myself to wolf down food that i kinda like the taste of. im out there to hunt. most things (other than us) hunt hungry. my menu is for mass calories with as little weight/ intake as i can get. meals like this fit the bill

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
Littlebuf, when you eat one of those cheese and broccoli ones, I want to know how they taste.......I could use a change (by October backpacking food gets old [if it doesn't, you're not hunting enough]). If these are as good as a rice a roni, it could be a winner.

slim9300

WKR
no. i really dont see the point spending all that time on food i can just buy. my philosophy on back pack hunting is im not out there for the great meals and comfy bed. i spend as close to zero time as i can cooking in the back country and bring just what i need to keep me going. half the time im hungry and the other half im forcing myself to wolf down food that i kinda like the taste of. im out there to hunt. most things (other than us) hunt hungry. my menu is for mass calories with as little weight/ intake as i can get. meals like this fit the bill

I hear you. It makes sense if you can eat them. I used to have the exact same mentality a few years ago. It was just too much of a hassle at the time. The good news is that my time spent hunting and success killing elk hasn't been affected by my semi-recent need to eat better in the backcountry.

I have eaten so many MH and BP meals over the last decade I can no longer eat them. Just like a cliff bar, I have gotten to the point that I would rather not eat, or I only eat a few bites. My personal dehydrated meals have more calories, taste like a home cooked meal and other than the work on the front end (which I do during the winter), they are identical to a MH for field preparation.

Thanks for the link. It's always good to have some backup food.

Last edited:

Buster

WKR
Littlebuf, when you eat one of those cheese and broccoli ones, I want to know how they taste.......I could use a change (by October backpacking food gets old [if it doesn't, you're not hunting enough]). If these are as good as a rice a roni, it could be a winner.

They still taste good til October?

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
found some more of these at walmart last night. and finally added up cal/vs oz. for a days food with these meals instead of mountain house. coming in @ 2820 cal for 25.2 oz. for 1 day. thats pretty good, some will be more some will be lass but its hitting an average of around 110-115 cal per oz with these and my other stuff so it hits the mark for what ill carry. realistically not very far off from where i am with a mountain house. i think i was averaging around 105 to 108 cal per oz for my whole days food so maybe another 30 -50 cal a day. really what i like the most is the minimalist packaging, they pack better than the pro packs. heres hoping they taste good....