My rifle scope saga continues…

Ok I’ve been here done this but I just can’t make a decision. Quick catch up. I own a NULA(the OG one, not after they went to crap) in 30-06. I live in WV but hunt west once a year. I’m not a “long range” guy. I’d like to get comfortable out to 4-600 at targets. I’ve been practicing at 300 lately. It currently has a vortex diamondback on it. It works. It’s worked for 2 or 3 years. But I read the horror stories. And my hunting buddy had one that he put away fine, and right before our trip last year, got it out to shoot, and it wouldn’t hold a zero.

So now I’m terrified it’s going to go ka-poop on me in the moment of need. I don’t like carrying gear that I’m constantly worrying about.

So I want to upgrade. If I do it, I want to do it right. I’ve looked at nightforce pretty heavily, but they seem on the heavy side. Do I go with their weight even on such a light rifle? Or is there something just as reliable in a lighter design?

I’d like something in the 3-4 min power. Up to 12-15 probably

50mm max

I’m not really picky on mil/moa

Don’t necessary need to be able to dial but nice addition

Illuminated intrigues me but not needed

Like to stay under $1000, but willing to pick one up used so MSRP can be more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the same boat as well. I have been using the same Kahles scope for the last 12+ years and just recently decided an upgrade. Probably sticking with Leupold because of their quality and CS.

OP
T
In the same boat as well. I have been using the same Kahles scope for the last 12+ years and just recently decided an upgrade. Probably sticking with Leupold because of their quality and CS.

Leupold isn’t bad. I’m just wondering if there’s higher end glass out there that isn’t as main stream. I don’t want to settle for an ok scope notch it has a big name on it if I could get something no one has heard of and it be top notch.

OP
T
Swfa, trijicon, or NF

So what’s the deal with swfa? I’ve seen them but just seems like there’s so little info out there on them. And is their website the only place you can buy them?

slowelk

WKR
Recommending SWFA at this point is pointless. At this time, the basically don't exist. The Trijicon Tenmile or Credo are scopes you should consider. FFP or SFP is up to you, but FFP is better for starting to figure out longer shots on steel or game.

atmat

WKR
Probably sticking with Leupold because of their quality and CS.
Leupold is known around here for quality glass but poor function. I get 30% off and you’d have to pay me to buy one.

OP — read the rifle scope evaluations here. I would only look at SWFA, NF, S&B, Trijicon, or the Maven RS1.2 (but not their other scopes)

OP
T
Recommending SWFA at this point is pointless. At this time, the basically don't exist. The Trijicon Tenmile or Credo are scopes you should consider. FFP or SFP is up to you, but FFP is better for starting to figure out longer shots on steel or game.

Thanks. Like I said, I don’t do a lot of longer so all that is just confusing to me. The input is appreciated! I know sfp only works with ticks if at full power. Which does seem like a drawback

OP
T
There have been like a dozen in the classifieds the last week.

People seem to be selling them now that SWFA’s website is updating.

I noticed a few in there. Like I said, just seem like a kind of secretive brand. But what I do hear seems to all be good.

FFP or SFP? Seems the FFP easy button would be a NF SHV F1 4-14x50 or a Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 (if you're lucky and the Maven is in stock soon, who knows). But both would be $1200-1300 so over budget. Otherwise probably SWFA but for a rifle that nice I'd personally just stretch the budget for a NF SHV, Maven RS1.2, or Trijicon Tenmile.

OP
T
FFP or SFP? Seems the FFP easy button would be a NF SHV F1 4-14x50 or a Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 (if you're lucky and the Maven is in stock soon, who knows). But both would be $1200-1300 so over budget. Otherwise probably SWFA but for a rifle that nice I'd personally just stretch the budget for a NF SHV, Maven RS1.2, or Trijicon Tenmile.

Thanks. F1 vs f2 is just foreign to me. I don’t shoot far enough that I’ve ever put much thought into it.

OP
T

I actually had my eye on a nf shv in classifies so glad to see that exact scope come up

Ok I’ve been here done this but I just can’t make a decision. Quick catch up. I own a NULA(the OG one, not after they went to crap) in 30-06. I live in WV but hunt west once a year. I’m not a “long range” guy. I’d like to get comfortable out to 4-600 at targets. I’ve been practicing at 300 lately. It currently has a vortex diamondback on it. It works. It’s worked for 2 or 3 years. But I read the horror stories. And my hunting buddy had one that he put away fine, and right before our trip last year, got it out to shoot, and it wouldn’t hold a zero.

So now I’m terrified it’s going to go ka-poop on me in the moment of need. I don’t like carrying gear that I’m constantly worrying about.

So I want to upgrade. If I do it, I want to do it right. I’ve looked at nightforce pretty heavily, but they seem on the heavy side. Do I go with their weight even on such a light rifle? Or is there something just as reliable in a lighter design?

I’d like something in the 3-4 min power. Up to 12-15 probably

50mm max

I’m not really picky on mil/moa

Don’t necessary need to be able to dial but nice addition

Illuminated intrigues me but not needed

Like to stay under $1000, but willing to pick one up used so MSRP can be more than that.

Leupold 3.5-10 or a Leupold 4.5-14. I'd go with the VX3HD line with the CDS cap and potentially parallax adjustment option, but the Freedom line is fine too. The Leupold's will generally be lighter than any Vortex optics if you compare apples to apples, along with clearer glass, and durability will be as good as anything. At least in my experience.

You could get a Leupold 4.5-14 with their CDS elevation dial, side focus parallax adjustment, and be right around the same weight as the Vortex Diamondback 4-12 with no side focus, and less magnification.

I don't think you'll notice a difference between a 40mm versus 50mm objective for 99.9% of hunting. Other than for maybe a minute or two at the last bit of light, most people can't discern any appreciable difference in those two objective sizes.

Last edited:

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
@Treeratslayer,
I’ll second the Trijicon Tenmile, Maven RS1.2, or any NF. FFP is the way to go, hands down. Mil is also the better way