My Kifaru Reckoning weighs 9 lbs

3.5. - 5 pounds is considered substantial weight to you when carrying meat out? Are you taking a roast at time?

To be fair, some of my other gear choices like a Platypus bladder rather than nalgenes, an 8 oz rain jacket, etc made up a bit of the “substantial” difference. But yes I’d rather carry a 60 lb pack than a 70 lb one.

Throw a 5 lb dumbbell in your pack and carry it everywhere you go. It seems pretty silly to me not to dump it if you can. Not bashing you if it works for you, but the OP asked the question.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Yeah guys come on I thought everyone agreed that unnecessary weight is unnecessary. Guess I’ll just bring 2 lbs extra of everything, since 2 lbs won’t kill me.

Btw right now I’m prob sticking with the Kifaru. The Seek is the intriguing option, I could wind up with more or the same amount of room and be nearly 5 lbs lighter.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah guys come on I thought everyone agreed that unnecessary weight is unnecessary. Guess I’ll just bring 2 lbs extra of everything, since 2 lbs won’t kill me.

Btw right now I’m prob sticking with the Kifaru. The Seek is the intriguing option, I could wind up with more or the same amount of room and be nearly 5 lbs lighter.

I guess I’m not following, so you can get all the same accessories and size and drop 5lbs? I guess if their materials are very thin that would drop weight but I bet it would end up weighing more then you think once you got it to be organized like your current setup. Have you looked at the Muskeg bags, I just don’t see how you couldn’t spend less and stay with Kifaru and drop 3+lbs.

That said the EXO bags fit perfect on the Kifaru frame, you can always try another companies bag on your frame. I run the EXO 2k on my Kifaru hunter frame.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
So my Kifaru with all the options is 9 lbs 1 oz. Reckoning with gun bearer, nalgene holder, 2 medium pockets, organizer pocket, organizer lid, and small Sitka pouch.

A Seek Unaweep 6300 with talon, lid, hip pouch, gun bearer, and nalgene Holder should be around 4 lbs 10 oz.

So roughly 4.5 lbs.

I know it’s an exercise in futility, but I may just have to try one out.

tdhanses

WKR
Interesting, FYI the EXO 5500 is 5.4lbs and has a lid and supposed expands to 7000ci.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Some seem to indicate that 4 pounds or so isn't a big deal. 4lbs x 20,000 steps in a day is 80,000 pounds of work. That is significant.

LaHunter

WKR
I can't speak for the Seek Outside but that 4lb you might save going with the Kuiu is going to cost you a lot more in comfort once you put more than 40lb in it.

Is it more important to you to look better on a spreadsheet or to feel better packing out?

Not necessarily. I've carried way more than 40 lbs in my Kuiu Icon Pro pack many times, and it has always carried it very well. I'm not comparing the Icon Pro to other packs because I've never used any of the other pack mentioned in this thread, but the Icon Pro has worked very well for me over the past several years.

So my Kifaru with all the options is 9 lbs 1 oz. Reckoning with gun bearer, nalgene holder, 2 medium pockets, organizer pocket, organizer lid, and small Sitka pouch.

A Seek Unaweep 6300 with talon, lid, hip pouch, gun bearer, and nalgene Holder should be around 4 lbs 10 oz.

So roughly 4.5 lbs.

I know it’s an exercise in futility, but I may just have to try one out.

It seems like a lot of people like the Seek bags. Sounds like they are probably good. It might be worth trying. Just make sure you leave it in good enough condition so you can return it if you dont like it better

matthewmt

WKR
SO makes great products, if I could afford to I would have a revolution frame setup or one of the newer offerings on hand.
My current rig is a 26" duplex frame, composite stays, woodsman bag and I run 1 small hip pouch and two medium and a grab it that I've been playing around with.
I also own a guide lid and other pouches.
I run a 75 oz bladder with Sawyer mini inline filter which adds some weight.
With archery over I've decided to leave my G20/safariland rig at home which should cut a few lbs to say the least. Besides the basics a guy would run when day hunting and trying to keep it light with out being to minimal, my setup is still heavier than needed IMO I will have to unload my pack to see what exactly I have in there. but out of curiosity when I got home I weighed it and it was roughly 17# without a full size 10mm Glock and full retention duty holster.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SO makes great products, if I could afford to I would have a revolution frame setup or one of the newer offerings on hand.
My current rig is a 26" duplex frame, composite stays, woodsman bag and I run 1 small hip pouch and two medium and a grab it that I've been playing around with.
I also own a guide lid and other pouches.
I run a 75 oz bladder with Sawyer mini inline filter which adds some weight.
With archery over I've decided to leave my G20/safariland rig at home which should cut a few lbs to say the least. Besides the basics a guy would run when day hunting and trying to keep it light with out being to minimal, my setup is still heavier than needed IMO I will have to unload my pack to see what exactly I have in there. but out of curiosity when I got home I weighed it and it was roughly 17# without a full size 10mm Glock and full retention duty holster.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I also have the woodsman i use as a day pack. 17# sounds pretty good to me

aaro9991

FNG
What about a kifaru uktralite frame as opposed to the hunter? I was amazed at how light that frame it and it’s ability to haul loads. Like every other person said...you can cut down pockets and the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
Not necessarily. I've carried way more than 40 lbs in my Kuiu Icon Pro pack many times, and it has always carried it very well. I'm not comparing the Icon Pro to other packs because I've never used any of the other pack mentioned in this thread, but the Icon Pro has worked very well for me over the past several years.

That is a very fair point, I can't comment on the Icon suspension but the Ultra suspension was a shitshow with any real weight in it.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
What about a kifaru uktralite frame as opposed to the hunter? I was amazed at how light that frame it and it’s ability to haul loads. Like every other person said...you can cut down pockets and the lid.

Thats a thought, looks like the difference is about 6 oz. I'm going to put the Reckoning on a diet:

Remove 2 medium side pockets, replace organizer guide lid with standard lid, and move organizer pocket to top of lid. Then I can put a blaze orange grab it on the pack semi permanently (no more wrapping a orange vest around my pack as instructed to do so in person at the CPW office a couple weeks ago), put large items like sleeping bag or tent in the grab it giving me more internal space for the stuff that was in the OGL (though I don't think I'll need it). This should drop 12 oz and make me feel a bit better about it ha. May drop the sitka pocket on the belt and just put that crap in my pants pockets too.

prm

WKR
My Reckoning feels heavier than I’d prefer when day hunting. Once it’s loaded up it excels though. I’ve debated using a light pack as a bag inside for the initial haul in to camp, then use the light pack during the day. It would need to be able to get some meat out and back to camp though. That would add weight to haul in, not good, but make days easier. I like having the two belt pockets and a bottle holder, I don’t need in additional pockets. I just use ultralight bags inside the main pack to organize.

The MR Mule looks great, but not enough as a main pack.

Edit: for carrying a rifle this thing is fantastic! Every pack of mine will have one.
Link

Last edited:

LaHunter

WKR
That is a very fair point, I can't comment on the Icon suspension but the Ultra suspension was a shitshow with any real weight in it.

I would agree, there is a night and day difference between the Icon Pro suspension and the Ultra suspension, even though the frame is the same. The waist belts are completely different.

tdhanses

WKR
Thats a thought, looks like the difference is about 6 oz. I'm going to put the Reckoning on a diet:

Remove 2 medium side pockets, replace organizer guide lid with standard lid, and move organizer pocket to top of lid. Then I can put a blaze orange grab it on the pack semi permanently (no more wrapping a orange vest around my pack as instructed to do so in person at the CPW office a couple weeks ago), put large items like sleeping bag or tent in the grab it giving me more internal space for the stuff that was in the OGL (though I don't think I'll need it). This should drop 12 oz and make me feel a bit better about it ha. May drop the sitka pocket on the belt and just put that crap in my pants pockets too.

I wouldn’t get an orange grabit it, an orange a glow panel is cheap. Also you can update your pack to the ultralight by changing out the stays which the carbon arrow stays are $10. Just cheap ways to get weight down and also save money.

Kotaman

WKR
I wouldn’t get an orange grabit it, an orange a glow panel is cheap. Also you can update your pack to the ultralight by changing out the stays which the carbon arrow stays are $10. Just cheap ways to get weight down and also save money.

Does anybody know the weight difference between the new Ultra Lite Frame vs. the old frame with the arrows for stays (old Ultra Lite)?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Heck I don't even know if mine has aluminum or composite stays...gonna have to check that. I think 9 oz of constant weight everywhere I go is worth $68.

If your going to ditch the guide lid, and you're trying to cut weight, I'd just go with no lid. The standard lid doesn't serve much purpose others than looks that I'm aware of.

Does anybody know the weight difference between the new Ultra Lite Frame vs. the old frame with the arrows for stays (old Ultra Lite)?

My 26” hunting frame with carbon arrows for stays and a medium belt weighed 2#12oz.

-with comp stays weighed 3#7oz

Compared to my 26” bikini frame with carbon stays and a medium belt at 2#6oz.