My Kifaru Reckoning weighs 9 lbs

ChrisAU

WKR
Medium hunter duplex frame/belt/suspension, organizer guide lid, 2 medium pouches, organizer pouch, nalgene pocket, gun bearer, and small Sitka hip belt pouch (the Kifaru ones are too big to go beside gun bearer, Sitka one is 1-2 oz). My scale shows just a hair over 9 lbs (9.06 lbs). I just got back from 2nd rifle and I'm obviously thinking about how to cut weight. The bag performed great, but should I be looking at Seek and Kuiu to cut 4-5 lbs just in pack alone?

iahunter08

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a lighter pack look at stone glacier i like both and use both, you can't go wrong with either one.

tdhanses

WKR
Maybe look at trimming the accessories first, weigh the pack and frame only then decide what you really need. If you bog down a pack in accessories it’ll gain weight fast. Another option if the bag is heavy and was way more then you needed try a simplistic bag that is a little smaller, Kifaru has a ton of options and seems a bunch of people always push others to the largest and heaviest option.

I wouldn’t just jump and spend money on another system without figuring out what you really need and what you can trim.

204guy

WKR
You can make a Kifaru about as light as the other brands, you just gotta lose all the pockets. The really light systems from any company are just basic bags. As has been said, those accessories add up fast.

jspradley

WKR
I can't speak for the Seek Outside but that 4lb you might save going with the Kuiu is going to cost you a lot more in comfort once you put more than 40lb in it.

Is it more important to you to look better on a spreadsheet or to feel better packing out?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I can't speak for the Seek Outside but that 4lb you might save going with the Kuiu is going to cost you a lot more in comfort once you put more than 40lb in it.

Is it more important to you to look better on a spreadsheet or to feel better packing out?

Certainly feel better packing out, but I did just spend 6 days out with the Reckoning and I only packed a small load for some hunters we ran into that dropped a giant bull, the rest of the the time was my camp and day pack mode. My sleep system, rain gear, clothing, and rifle are already as light as it gets (may be an ounce or two here or there), just seems like the ripest area for picking is the pack itself. I found the reckoning to be a bit big, but I do like the organization of the guide lid, but I could easily do without the belt pouches, though the organizer is nice as well.

I also found the gun bearer to be essential but god awful annoying in trying to keep the rifle in one spot. I've never been closer to throwing an expensive rifle than when it was slapping me in the side of the head every step for no apparent reason at the end of a long hike. Take it out, put it back in, good to go. Happened on and off the whole trip. I do think I'll try Kuiu's holder bottom as it attaches on the ends of the pouch instead of the center.

Kotaman

WKR
I run my Kifaru on "heavy duty" hunts (mainly moose) and a Stone Glacier on everything else because of weight. By the time I get my Kifaru's the way I want them, they are always pushing 9 lbs. My SG's are about 6 when set up similar. I love both brands but for mountain hunts, my SG gets the nod every time.

Bulldawg

WKR
I reckon if you don’t plan on killing anything you should just find a lighter pack, don’t need a gun bearer either, or the gun!

Certainly feel better packing out, but I did just spend 6 days out with the Reckoning and I only packed a small load for some hunters we ran into that dropped a giant bull, the rest of the the time was my camp and day pack mode. My sleep system, rain gear, clothing, and rifle are already as light as it gets (may be an ounce or two here or there), just seems like the ripest area for picking is the pack itself. I found the reckoning to be a bit big, but I do like the organization of the guide lid, but I could easily do without the belt pouches, though the organizer is nice as well.

I also found the gun bearer to be essential but god awful annoying in trying to keep the rifle in one spot. I've never been closer to throwing an expensive rifle than when it was slapping me in the side of the head every step for no apparent reason at the end of a long hike. Take it out, put it back in, good to go. Happened on and off the whole trip. I do think I'll try Kuiu's holder bottom as it attaches on the ends of the pouch instead of the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I reckon if you don’t plan on killing anything you should just find a lighter pack, don’t need a gun bearer either, or the gun!

Good point! I do think I can drop 1/2 lb and gain some $ by dropping the 2 medium belt pouches. I would like to find a normal lid in ranger green to try compared to the organizer guide lid too.

92xj

WKR
Good point! I do think I can drop 1/2 lb and gain some $ by dropping the 2 medium belt pouches. I would like to find a normal lid in ranger green to try compared to the organizer guide lid too.

If you go to a non organized or guide lid and use a normal lid, why even run a lid at all?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
If you go to a non organized or guide lid and use a normal lid, why even run a lid at all?

While the reckoning seems a bit big with 6-7 days of gear in it, it isn't big enough for me to utiltize the top of the bag as a lid, leaving an open hole (even with the drawstring cinched up). I'd rather not have the opening up top is all. Guess it wouldn't really matter.

My Icon Pro 1850 or Ultra 5500 on the Icon Pro frame weighs 4 1/2 lbs with both hip pockets and their rifle carrier. It weighs 1 1/4 lb less than that with the load hauler panel. I did feel a bit guilty when we were packing out an elk and my buddies packs were all substantially heavier than mine with the same amount of meat.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in this same boat love my kifaru but looking at lighter options for next year. If looking At frames alone, how does the weight compare between the main pack companies?

ljalberta

WKR
Quick note on the gun bearer. I've run one a few years now, but never encountered that issue. Might just need a little fine tuning?

Whoops, tried to edit my post to correct a sentence and it got deleted! My post was basically I an a former satisfied kifaru customer (hunter frame, argali bag) and a current satisfied so customer (fortress 6300). I changed primarily for waterproofing, but it also saved about 1.5 lbs (but the argali even with guide lid and some accessories is only about 6.5lbs.

Both kifaru and so carried weight comfortably and well for me. They are very different though - find an so to try on before making a switch. Good luck.

92xj

WKR
My Icon Pro 1850 or Ultra 5500 on the Icon Pro frame weighs 4 1/2 lbs with both hip pockets and their rifle carrier. It weighs 1 1/4 lb less than that with the load hauler panel. I did feel a bit guilty when we were packing out an elk and my buddies packs were all substantially heavier than mine with the same amount of meat.

3.5. - 5 pounds is considered substantial weight to you when carrying meat out? Are you taking a roast at time?