My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

@Formidilosus , I had a k3 belt/ frame failure as well. My back seemed to not carry very well for quite a long time, then a week before an 8-day hunt last fall. I broke the bag down to wash it and found the belt had started tearing away from the frame, but from the bottom side. I don't remember any specific event that caused it. EXO got a new belt to my house within just a few days of notifying them.

I agree on the pocket layout of the k3. It's the best of any pack i've been able to look at and handle in person. That's a huge bummer to hear they're not quite as useful on the k4

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I tried and liked the Krux frame, but when came to full draw, my shoulders would pull the frame noticeably away from my back. Could never get used to shooting w/ it. Wondering if the Xcurve would be better with this? My EXO feels great shooting, but I really prefer the SG bag.

The X-Curve should be better or totally fix that.

Bcleck90

WKR
@Formidilosus where are you carrying a pistol or are you? Not trying to get a jump on you in the backcountry for the record…just can’t find a reasonable spot other than HPG kit bag. Not my favorite but I hate anything on a waist belt for the most part.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus where are you carrying a pistol or are you? Not trying to get a jump on you in the backcountry for the record…just can’t find a reasonable spot other than HPG kit bag. Not my favorite but I hate anything on a waist belt for the most part.

There are a couple of ways. One is clipped into the harness and under it on the front. The other is behind it with a separate holster.

Bcleck90

WKR
There are a couple of ways. One is clipped into the harness and under it on the front. The other is behind it with a separate holster.
Behind it / separate harness is doable but sucks. I’d rather just go belt carry and have a spare minimalist holster if I have to leave my pack.

Is this what you’re referring to as clipped into or under (or something similar)?
IMG_3579.jpeg

Dobermann

WKR
@Formidilosus does/dis the sea to summit bladder make your water taste like rubber?

Have tried the dromedary and Hydrapak. Both are nasty. Only bladder I found that does not make water taste bad is platypus and those have leaked in my bag multiple times. Hate it.
One option with a drinking hose is Source - don't leak and no taste, in my experience.

But for straight carry, I'll give the S2S ones a go now.

Thanks for the time and detail. Really appreciate the extended real use with far more time in the field than most can hope for over several seasons.

Any chance we could get a few more pictures of your bino harness setup? I’ve been trying to figure out how to reconfigure mine since end of 23 season and was having a little trouble following that part of the write up but you have a ton of stuff in yours and pockets/pouches

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
One option with a drinking hose is Source - don't leak and no taste, in my experience.

But for straight carry, I'll give the S2S ones a go now.
Me and my partner both use Source bladders+hoses, but we’ve had 2 fail over 3 years, both of them leaking around the hose connection to the bladder in the pack. One of the three (coincidentally mine) hasn’t had any issues, but I’ve started to lose confidence in it. I like using a bladder instead of Nalgene, so I was considering trying a Hydrapak force this year, now I’m disappointed to see @Hagas4all mention it tastes bad…

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any chance we could get a few more pictures of your bino harness setup? I’ve been trying to figure out how to reconfigure mine since end of 23 season and was having a little trouble following that part of the write up but you have a ton of stuff in yours and pockets/pouches

Sure- what do you want to see?

Firth

FNG
You've obviously put a lot of thought into your gear. Far more than me. Looking through your list, the one thing that comes to mind that I'm surprised isn't included is a brimmed hat, unless I missed it. I hate being out on a sunny day without a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. I think my current general use hat preference is to have a ball cap with a stocking hat large enough to go on top of it. I wear both in the mornings and evenings and if it gets hot during the day I just wear the ball cap.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You've obviously put a lot of thought into your gear. Far more than me. Looking through your list, the one thing that comes to mind that I'm surprised isn't included is a brimmed hat, unless I missed it. I hate being out on a sunny day without a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. I think my current general use hat preference is to have a ball cap with a stocking hat large enough to go on top of it. I wear both in the mornings and evenings and if it gets hot during the day I just wear the ball cap.

Sunglasses.