My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

Gloves- Standard deer skin or thin cow leather work gloves, or Hestra Deerskin Wool Tricot gloves for most uses. Hestra Wakayama leather gloves with wool liner for cold.
Big fan of the Wakayamas. Only glove I’ve found that can still keep my hands warm but allow enough dexterity to take my gun of safety (more applicable with shotguns). I use them mostly for bird hunting.

You mentioned you were a fan of the de havilands waist closer/belt mechanism and that it’s the best on the market. I almost exclusively wear the Arc teryx gamma pants for all my outdoor pursuits and like the waist closer/belt much better then the stone glaciers. Do you have any experience with them and what are your opinions?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You mentioned you were a fan of the de havilands waist closer/belt mechanism and that it’s the best on the market. I almost exclusively wear the Arc teryx gamma pants for all my outdoor pursuits and like the waist closer/belt much better then the stone glaciers. Do you have any experience with them and what are your opinions?

I have used them, they are fine pants but it’s not the belt mech, it’s the waist/fly/zipper adjustment part. When tightening your pack belt over a season it can be taken up to not roll or fold and pinch under the belt.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you have a favorite brand that you would recommend?

I don’t. I don’t even know what brand the ones I have are. I’ve tried finding another pair and haven’t been able to, though I haven’t looked very hard either.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would love a breakdown on any minimalist shoes - my lifting shoes are inov8 bares, but never thought of applying it to the backcountry with heavy loads.

Inov-8 Roclite 286 or, better- Vivo Barefoot Tracker Forest ESC’s. There’s a thread on the Vivo’s in the footwear sub forum.

Have you tried the Terminus yet? Seems right up your alley as far as simplicity goes

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have you tried the Terminus yet? Seems right up your alley as far as simplicity goes

I have used them all. The Terminus is great pack, but lacking needed attributes: side water bottle pockets, exterior side pockets- not opening the main bag to get spotter/tripod, or undoing the main straps for same, etc. It’s a great pack, but not for what I require.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thoughts on the Swaro ATC/STC vs the Mark 4?

As a field scope there is nothing Swaro, Kowa, etc make that compares. They all have the same eye relief issues. The “glass” is not as good on the Mark 4, but it is “good enough”, and the usability makes it choice. If Max optical quality is required, then it’s the BTX.

Since we’re on the topic of packs….what are the issues you’ve found with the MR (metcalf/Beartooth) or HPG equivalents?

Also, thanks for putting this together. It’s obviously not a 5 minute ordeal to present everything at the level of detail you have.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Since we’re on the topic of packs….what are the issues you’ve found with the MR (metcalf/Beartooth) or HPG equivalents?

MR packs ar generally heavier than others, and the suspension system isn’t as comfortable for me and others- too much padding at times and just fit oddly. Also, their load self, and load lifter angle on some is compromised. Good packs, and I certainly have no issue using them.

HPG it’s the bag designs- just sacks, and while extremely comfortable once set up- the harness and frame fit is tedious and they don’t carry really heavy loads well. Their Umlindi, is probably my favorite day pack though.

Also, thanks for putting this together. It’s obviously not a 5 minute ordeal to present everything at the level of detail you have.

I hope it is of some use. It is ironic that even though I have closets, tubs, and sheds full of the latest technical clothing… In actual use side by side for months at a time, I generally prefer wool, Ventile cotton, waxed cotton canvas, down, leather boots, camel wools socks, and only some synthetics sprinkled in.

ljalberta

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I’ve been meaning to try the fishnet for awhile. This was a reminder to pull the trigger. I have enjoyed the FL Wick Aerowool and will see how it works with a fishnet suit under an Aerowool Tee.

I love a base layer bottom that ends right where the boot begins like some of Kuiu’s models, but I ordered a full length to try as the 3/4 look a little too short.

Good points on the K4 packs. I’ve been enjoying the 5000 so far, but that stretch pocket on the back (which doesn’t stretch out a ton) is a real puzzling one.

Interesting to hear you haven’t broken many or any of the Cascade Mountain poles. I’ve had a number love their carbide tips now. One I broke which was 100% on me getting it stuck in a rock and torquing it. But some of the tips have randomly broken off or gone missing.

Stole my wife’s BD Carbon Corks from 2015 or 2016 the last few hunts that have been pretty excellent.

I have tried and tested many packs and have found similar results. I did not care for the old k3 it always squeaked when under load.

After packing 8 critters out a few seasons ago and breaking the carbon stays in my krux SG frame. I decided to make the switch to a Barney’s freighter pack with their new Yukon water proofish exterior sail bag.

The only draw back is the 3 lbs of extra weight…

Time to go on diet…

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I’ve been meaning to try the fishnet for awhile. This was a reminder to pull the trigger.
Do it!

A few of us have had success sourcing from Varuste, especially when they have regular sales (just sign up to their newsletter), and also now that it looks like Varusteleka no longer stock them.

From memory, there is/was a US-based Aclima website, but prices were nearly double. A while since I looked at it though - Varuste are cheap, reliable, and fast. One of those rare times where all three are possible at the same time.

Dobermann

WKR
Purcel Trench Packers Grill was a gift from a fine figure of a man, its light and great for grilling meat/fish on while hunting.
Heads up, fellow Sliders - after a (very) quick blat of internet research, this looks like one of the lightest options ... BUT the company's website says they're closing down this year. Site seems to suggest they're still open to orders.

Unless I'm mistaken, Form's is the Streamsdie Packers Grill, which comes in two options: the SS Streamside Packers Grill weighs approx. 4.0 oz. (112 grams). Ti Streamside Packers 2 Grill weighs about 2.7 oz. (77 grams).

Direct linky here: http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm

Poor fella won't know what hit him ... ;)

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
MR packs ar generally heavier than others, and the suspension system isn’t as comfortable for me and others- too much padding at times and just fit oddly. Also, their load self, and load lifter angle on some is compromised. Good packs, and I certainly have no issue using them.

HPG it’s the bag designs- just sacks, and while extremely comfortable once set up- the harness and frame fit is tedious and they don’t carry really heavy loads well. Their Umlindi, is probably my favorite day pack though.

Hopefully you're able to try out the updated MR packs. Seem interesting.