My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

gman82001

WKR
I knew this thread would cost me money. Cold steel Canadian belt knife ordered once I see how/if I like the style I’ll pass it along and order the real deal one

Dobermann

WKR
My Woolnets came the other day, but I coincidentally waited until today when the house is empty to try them on. A few observations.
  1. Yeah - these are different. Not just the mesh, but the way they fit. I'm used to sloppier fit, even for base layers.
  2. No selfies - my Micklagaard pants are still to be tailored.
  3. Aclima tags indicate these are part of their recommended "1st Wool Layer" which is supposed to be worn on top of "Wool Underwear" - apparently layer zero. Does this mean that my somewhat dreaded selfie will be more SFW since my bare chest/gut won't be visible through the mesh?
Now I have to see if there is a Zero Layer back in this thread.

EDIT - I can confirm no Zero Layer in the Form list, which means.... And I found two limited examples of Yak wool base layers - https://mongolianstore.com/product/mens-dark-brown-wool-legging/ (weird that wearing any of their leggings makes you stand on your toes) and https://www.koraoutdoor.com/products/yushu-wool-base-layer-shorts?_pos=2&_fid=6b7ee309d&_ss=c#logo_4 (Kora with 60% yak). Based on how good the Happy Yak socks have been, I'm thinking about these.
1710641728502.png

I had a carbon steel grohman belt knife with the open sheath. It had a belt loop that hung from the top, so kinda flopped around a bit. While running to head off a buck, knife flopped out, lost forever. I miss that knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Form, do the R3 wing pocks connect to the frame with straps that look the same as those that go across the pack? Do you happen to know how long and wide they are?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, do the R3 wing pocks connect to the frame with straps that look the same as those that go across the pack? Do you happen to know how long and wide they are?

It’s the same webbing material as the compressions straps, but they are attached to the frame.

Zenbivy Bed system. I have used this since it came to market 5-6 years ago and the amount of nights is more than the SG bag, and probably close to the Marmot. Bluntly this is the most comfortable sleep system made and it’s not even close. Every single person I know that has tried it has switched completely and they have no intention of straying.
The 10° F light bed is by far the warmest option of all the bags and quilts shown here- I’ve slept dozens of nights between -15°F and -20°F and colder once or twice. Down to around 0° or -5°F I will sweat in it if I use a hot water bottle with just sleeping layers. I don’t attach the sides until well below 20°F, don’t use a hot water bottle, still will have to vent, and there will be moisture on the outside that has pushed through.

So it sounds like from your experience the ZenBivy punches well above it's advertised comfort ratings? They list their 10F as 10/20 limit and comfort. Is it fair to assume you'd have no concerns using the 25F setup into the 20s?

Dobermann

WKR
For those interested in the Grohmann #1, mine has finally shipped from Knifecenter, and they're showing as now in stock.

However, they only list two stainless options (wood or stag handles) and both have the flappy 'top loop' attachment, rather than a wide / flattish belt loop on the back, which some will prefer.

Direct link to both models here: https://www.knifecenter.com/find-the-best/grohmann #1

fwafwow

WKR
I’ll be interested to know what you think after you’ve worn it awhile.
I've worn it around the house for a couple of days and my initial first impressions:
  • It might be the softest and most comfortable sweater I've worn. I still can't believe it's all wool, even merino. If they made this in other colors, I'd buy another.
  • Mrs. fwafwow, however, had some good ribbing. "What's up with those green patches on the elbow? I would NOT wear that out in public! And is the brand name on the shoulder 'Abercrombie & Fitch'?"
  • I'm definitely wearing this outside of hunting, and while I don't care about the patches, it would be cooler not to have the name tag. My $0.02.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So it sounds like from your experience the ZenBivy punches well above it's advertised comfort ratings? They list their 10F as 10/20 limit and comfort. Is it fair to assume you'd have no concerns using the 25F setup into the 20s?

I haven’t used the 25° Zenbivy so won’t may there. I will say as much as a sleeping bag can be a legit 10° bag, the ZenBivy is. However- I use the longest and widest version they have.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've worn it around the house for a couple of days and my initial first impressions:
  • It might be the softest and most comfortable sweater I've worn. I still can't believe it's all wool, even merino. If they made this in other colors, I'd buy another.
  • Mrs. fwafwow, however, had some good ribbing. "What's up with those green patches on the elbow? I would NOT wear that out in public! And is the brand name on the shoulder 'Abercrombie & Fitch'?"
  • I'm definitely wearing this outside of hunting, and while I don't care about the patches, it would be cooler not to have the name tag. My $0.02.

Haha.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered my yak wool socks from the Etsy MongulaiCOM store March 5th and they arrived on the 18th. They feel nice and fit great. I look forward to trying them out.

fwafwow

WKR
I ordered my yak wool socks from the Etsy MongulaiCOM store March 5th and they arrived on the 18th. They feel nice and fit great. I look forward to trying them out.
How tall/long are they? I’m loving the Happy Yak but would prefer longer.

fwafwow

WKR
These come up 9”from the floor. That is in size 43-45(10-12US). I’d say they fit like a crew sock
Thanks. I will measure my Happy Yaks when I wear them next. I’ve worn them multiple times without washing them to see how long I can go before they stink. One problem with my test is that I can’t smell. Mrs fwafwow has been reluctant to smell my worn clothing, so I’m hoping to trick one of my grown children into being the test subject.