My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are the ventile cotton jackets durable enough for pushing drives through thorn filled clear cuts, rhododendron and all other manner of nasty thickness? A top that can protect my upper body from all the cuts and scrapes, breathes well enough to prevent excessive sweating and can block wind/rain when I switch to a stander would be great to have.

It’ll pick a bit I’m sure, but I would think so.

I’m surprised to hear the finger guard on the MKC Jackstone being a negative. Is it the shape or something specific to it? I’ve got a couple of knives with minimal or zero finger guard on them (original MKC Speedgoat) and while they are sharp and durable I always kind of hate using them for that reason. Feels like a rifle without a trigger guard.

Dobermann

WKR
I’m surprised to hear the finger guard on the MKC Jackstone being a negative. Is it the shape or something specific to it? I’ve got a couple of knives with minimal or zero finger guard on them (original MKC Speedgoat) and while they are sharp and durable I always kind of hate using them for that reason. Feels like a rifle without a trigger guard.
I'm interested in this also.

And FWIW, @Form - my Grohmann #1 has been on backorder since November. Not sure what's happening there.

Netherman

WKR
I'm interested in this also.

And FWIW, @Form - my Grohmann #1 has been on backorder since November. Not sure what's happening there.
I've also got the CS version and love the ergos on it, but would like better steel. I've gutted 3 deer in MI and quartered 2 deer in MT this past year with it.

I loved the "bulge" on the backside of the blade which made the skinning cut along the spine quick and easy without poking the backstrap (something I struggled with using a havalon). I can't say empirically, but the handle angle in relation to the blade seems to make sweeping/skinning cuts more efficient. When working in the chest cavity I like how comfortable it is when I choke way up on the blade with my index finger along the spine of the blade.

I looked at the jackstone and decided to look elsewhere due to the finger guard and blade to grip angle. I think the guard will get in the way of my middle/ring finger when choking up on those gutting cuts and the lessened (at least what I can tell from pictures) seems like it would be less efficient/comfortable than the CS design.

I really like the look of the KOA youkon (make sure you get the #2. no one wants the spine of a knife sharpened), but worry about the non-stainless D2 steel. I don't treat knives nicely, but am OCD enough that rust spots will bum me out. I looked at the grohmann as well and might end up going with their stainless version, but ideally would get one of the "better" steels. i.e. S30v S35v or Magnacut (heard great things but haven't used).

kopmantrey

Lil-Rokslider
I placed an order directly with Grohman knives. After waiting a month I got impatient and canceled my order and placed a order through one of their dealers in canada. I had my knife in hand in a week or so.

Shraggs

WKR
I've also got the CS version and love the ergos on it, but would like better steel. I've gutted 3 deer in MI and quartered 2 deer in MT this past year with it.

I loved the "bulge" on the backside of the blade which made the skinning cut along the spine quick and easy without poking the backstrap (something I struggled with using a havalon). I can't say empirically, but the handle angle in relation to the blade seems to make sweeping/skinning cuts more efficient. When working in the chest cavity I like how comfortable it is when I choke way up on the blade with my index finger along the spine of the blade.

I looked at the jackstone and decided to look elsewhere due to the finger guard and blade to grip angle. I think the guard will get in the way of my middle/ring finger when choking up on those gutting cuts and the lessened (at least what I can tell from pictures) seems like it would be less efficient/comfortable than the CS design.

I really like the look of the KOA youkon (make sure you get the #2. no one wants the spine of a knife sharpened), but worry about the non-stainless D2 steel. I don't treat knives nicely, but am OCD enough that rust spots will bum me out. I looked at the grohmann as well and might end up going with their stainless version, but ideally would get one of the "better" steels. i.e. S30v S35v or Magnacut (heard great things but haven't used).

Not meant to derail the grohman pursuit. I’ve had one for decades and they are deserving of a great field knife. I’d rather the carbon the stainless.

For non gutting, ie skinning and meat removal I prefer a bit more belly. a similar functionally variation by Lucas forge is their woodsman jr. an adaptation of a nessmuk. Really excels at skinning and boning in the field. He will reduce hump on top spine too.

Dobermann

WKR
Where did you order from? Also, what sheath did you get?
I ordered it with the open-mouth leather sheath from Knifecenter, who I've always found reliable: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/GR...l-blade-rosewood-handles-brown-leather-sheath

They're showing it's delayed by manufacturer. If you get on their mailing list, they often have freebies as enticements to order. I ordered my Grohmann with the free mini Worksharp that Form carries in his bino harness. Knifecenter are good about sending regular updates to say the order is still open - and are going to honor the deal for the free Worksharp. This will be the second free Worksharp I'll receive from them, so I'm a happy camper.

Had a Grohmann years ago but never used it in the field as the design didn't 'click' for me. Now I can see it in a new light, so keen to give it a go.

Grohmann's site is showing it as available to be ordered - but then the checkout has a large 'Expect delays' message at the top. I guess you could call them to find out if they're in stock.

Dobermann

WKR
D2 is meant to be a pretty amazing steel. My knife CQB instructor worked with one of the more famous knifemakers back in the day to build a fairly unique, dedicated fighting knife. The maker's strong recommendation was for D2. He had an account exactly why the steel composition led to it to have a very aggressive cutting edge. It almost sounded like voodoo, but he claimed to have looked at D2 knife edges under a microscope, and all exhibited the same feature. FWIW ...

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m surprised to hear the finger guard on the MKC Jackstone being a negative. Is it the shape or something specific to it?

During gutting or cutting, reaching up into the chest cavity to cut, etc., fascia and tissue catch on finger guards. This one being thin and pointy (relatively) makes it more dramatic.

I’ve got a couple of knives with minimal or zero finger guard on them (original MKC Speedgoat) and while they are sharp and durable I always kind of hate using them for that reason. Feels like a rifle without a trigger guard.

A well design handle doesn’t require a finger guard to keep from slipping.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I ordered it with the open-mouth leather sheath from Knifecenter, who I've always found reliable: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/GR...l-blade-rosewood-handles-brown-leather-sheath

They're showing it's delayed by manufacturer. If you get on their mailing list, they often have freebies as enticements to order. I ordered my Grohmann with the free mini Worksharp that Form carries in his bino harness. Knifecenter are good about sending regular updates to say the order is still open - and are going to honor the deal for the free Worksharp. This will be the second free Worksharp I'll receive from them, so I'm a happy camper.

Had a Grohmann years ago but never used it in the field as the design didn't 'click' for me. Now I can see it in a new light, so keen to give it a go.

Grohmann's site is showing it as available to be ordered - but then the checkout has a large 'Expect delays' message at the top. I guess you could call them to find out if they're in stock.

My Grohmann has been ordered for a month or so. I ordered another from a store that claims in stock. We’ll see.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
During gutting or cutting, reaching up into the chest cavity to cut, etc., fascia and tissue catch on finger guards. This one being thin and pointy (relatively) makes it more dramatic.

A well design handle doesn’t require a finger guard to keep from slipping.
I assume you have some of these are?
20240315_102407.jpg
Few minutes of work fixes it.
20240315_103331.jpg

I had been meaning to get to this as I dislike anything protruding below the cutting edge, so thanks for the motivation.

Zenbivy Bed system. I have used this since it came to market 5-6 years ago and the amount of nights is more than the SG bag, and probably close to the Marmot. Bluntly this is the most comfortable sleep system made and it’s not even close. Every single person I know that has tried it has switched completely and they have no intention of straying.
Thank you for this write-up!

Regarding sleep system vs sleeping bag, what is the benefit of one over the other? It doesn't appear you would use them together. Is one easier to pack, lighter, etc? I currently have a cheaper 20 degree synthetic I'm looking to upgrade from.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you for this write-up!

Regarding sleep system vs sleeping bag, what is the benefit of one over the other? It doesn't appear you would use them together. Is one easier to pack, lighter, etc? I currently have a cheaper 20 degree synthetic I'm looking to upgrade from.

A thread on the Zen Bivy.

fwafwow

WKR
I think we're already halfway down that rabbithole on this site. Well. some of us at least. Can't wait to see @fwafwow's selfies!
My Woolnets came the other day, but I coincidentally waited until today when the house is empty to try them on. A few observations.
  1. Yeah - these are different. Not just the mesh, but the way they fit. I'm used to sloppier fit, even for base layers.
  2. No selfies - my Micklagaard pants are still to be tailored.
  3. Aclima tags indicate these are part of their recommended "1st Wool Layer" which is supposed to be worn on top of "Wool Underwear" - apparently layer zero. Does this mean that my somewhat dreaded selfie will be more SFW since my bare chest/gut won't be visible through the mesh?
Now I have to see if there is a Zero Layer back in this thread.

EDIT - I can confirm no Zero Layer in the Form list, which means.... And I found two limited examples of Yak wool base layers - https://mongolianstore.com/product/mens-dark-brown-wool-legging/ (weird that wearing any of their leggings makes you stand on your toes) and https://www.koraoutdoor.com/products/yushu-wool-base-layer-shorts?_pos=2&_fid=6b7ee309d&_ss=c#logo_4 (Kora with 60% yak). Based on how good the Happy Yak socks have been, I'm thinking about these.

Last edited: