My 2024 Sheep Hunts

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
Well this ram was the most painful, hardest hunt I could physically do I believe but also the most rewarding! 3/4 slam ram!

Congrats on a beautiful ram!! Looks like you have had a few sheep hunts under your belt, so I would assume you know what your signing up for.
Curious what made this hunt stand out as far as hardest, most physically and painful out of them all.

OP
aoudad

aoudad

FNG
Congrats on a beautiful ram!! Looks like you have had a few sheep hunts under your belt, so I would assume you know what your signing up for.
Curious what made this hunt stand out as far as hardest, most physically and painful out of them all.
Thanks! I fell a couple times. Also my right knee tendons flared up big time side hill and going downhill. Good now and have to figure something out on my dall sheep next summer. That pain sucks haha

OP
aoudad

aoudad

FNG
Wyoming recap- As I said I got a call earlier in the year from WY game and fish that I had won the sheep super tag. I couldn’t believe it as this ram I knew would be the hardest to draw. As soon as I hung up I called my outfitter in UT that guided me on my desert ram. He gave me 2 numbers and couldn’t tell me which one to pick. So I txt both at the same time and Josh happened to answer first so I went with Shoshone Lodge Outfitters. I was already preparing for my stone sheep hunt so I really didn’t have anything extra that I needed that I hadn’t already bought for my stone hunt. All I did was workout and did a lot of shooting all summer. End of August came around and it was go time. Met up with Josh the day before we packed in and shot out to 550 yards and was on. Friday we drove to the trailhead and got all the horses and gear loaded and made the 6 hour ride in. I hadn’t rode a horse in 20 years but it wasn’t horrible haha. That night we set up camp and got ready to scout the next morning. Saturday we loaded up the spotters and took a couple horses up to glass all day. Found a band of 10 rams and two very nice ones which one was a ram I killed. Josh rode several other places and didn’t turn anything up better than what we had found. So back to camp that night, ate Peak dinner and rested up. Sunday was the opening morning and we did the same thing, loaded up and rode to the glassing spot and found the rams again at about 2000 yds across the range from us. Josh went to check one more spot real quick then came back and met back up and planned a move. We horseback rode down and back up the other mountain and got to the edge of the treeline where we tied the horses….. which the rams saw us and starting moving up the mountain slowly. It was cat and mouse for the next several hours, got set up once on them at 400 yds bedded. And of course, when my ram stood up he took 3 steps out of a clear shot. The final push they worked into the cliffs in the back of the bowl basin, where we made a last push and got to 470 yards, we dropped down, ranged, got my dope from my kestrel, confirmed my ram was the furthest left sheep and I let one rip. Hit him mid body quartering to, so I reloaded and dumped him square in the chest. Was the furthest shot I’ve taken on an animal and glad he died pretty quick. Was an awesome hunt and couldn’t have asked for anything else. We fried up the rocky mountain oysters in crumpled ranch Doritos in oil over the camp fire that night and celebrated a little!