Muzzleloader who shot hunter found guilty

Sad day all around. I’ve spent a lot of time pursuing elk in this area. It’s very chaotic when the archery and muzzleloader season are running together. I personally put blaze orange on and require it for anyone with me. Nevertheless basic hunter safety rules were broken and someone paid the ultimate price. Thoughts go out to the victims family.

sneaky

"DADDY"
He broke the cardinal rule and didn't positively identify his target before pulling the trigger. There are no winners in this case, but he absolutely needs to be punished for stupidity. I'm sure a wrongful death suit will be filed in civil court as well.

blairvt

FNG
Its hard to understand. He hit what he was aiming at but didn't know what it was.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Its hard to understand. He hit what he was aiming at but didn't know what it was.
Well ya, there were several issues. He had a bull tag and was hunting in a 4 point or better unit. How could he have possibly identified that the elk he thought he was shooting at was even a bull, let alone a 4 point or better bull? And he said he "saw something white and shot". What the heck did he think he was shooting at that was white? Lots of errors and negligence. Kind of like the guy that took a broadhead to the head while bowhunting a few years ago. Luckily the BH deflected off the bone instead of penetrating, but my goodness. I never did hear whether they found the guy that shot him.

NB7

WKR
The case from 2020 near Kremmling involving Watkins and Howell goes to trial in March, if I'm not mistaken. That one also had an original mistrial

Certainly negligent if he was shooting at a target that looks nothing like a bull elk. Very sad for the victim's family. Below is the sentence option. I would hope he sees some jail time since his actions resulted in the loss of life.

"The sentence for criminally negligent homicide, a Class 5 felony, is one to three years in prison, or probation. Probation can entail up to 90 days in jail. A fine of up to $100,000 may be imposed."

Kind of like the guy that took a broadhead to the head while bowhunting a few years ago. Luckily the BH deflected off the bone instead of penetrating, but my goodness. I never did hear whether they found the guy that shot him.
If you're referring to the incident in Idaho that I'm thinking of, they never found the arrow flinger.

This event makes me sad and mad. Taking an animals life is a HUGE responsibility..... to just throw some lead at something that is moving is totally out of line. Sad that someone had to pay the price.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Too light of a sentence...

Orange or not, its impossible to shoot someone if you even have any morality, ethics, or common sense.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sad… I feel for the shooter and of course the poor man that lost his life. Two lives ruined.