Sentencing in (CO) Mzl Fatality

It’s horrible but he is getting off extremely light. I don’t think he needs max sentence but 90 days and a year of probation?

I’ve hunted this area a lot. It’s always chaos when the muzzleloader season is on. But there is no excuse for what happened. 90 day’s is a slap on the hand..

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
90 days? A joke.

I simply cannot imagine mistaking a human for an elk, lion, yote or whatever else I may be hunting unless the human is trying to look like an elk, lion or yote.

Eddie

P.S. Thanks for posting @Poser. I had not heard of this story.

I agree to a point. He has had a horrible year. He gets to keep living with his family after a non excusable mistake. The victim lost a family member to stupidity. There is no winner. However, after thinking about it, the sentence is almost worse. Two things bug me. First, is your life worth less because you hunt? Second, I highly doubt this was his first bad action in the woods. First time getting caught? I still don’t think a terrible sentence needs to be handed out but shoplifters get worse.

Cfriend

FNG
I agree that there must be justice whether it is a mistake or not and that 90 days in jail is hardly equivalent to a human life.

However, I always wonder what is gained by sending someone to jail for a mistake - it seems kind of pointless. I am guessing that the chances this guy will ever make this mistake again are extremely low, and if he hasn't learned the lesson by now I hardly thing any amount of jail time will make a difference. What is gained by him sitting in jail being another leach on society? (assuming he is not deemed a threat to other people)

In my opinion, justice would be better served by making this guy give every dime he has or makes in the future (beyond what is needed for him to stay alive) to the victims family. I think that would be greater punishment than jail time, and would also assist those who were hurt by his mistake. Also, he should never be allowed to hunt again or own firearms...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I agree that there must be justice whether it is a mistake or not and that 90 days in jail is hardly equivalent to a human life.

However, I always wonder what is gained by sending someone to jail for a mistake - it seems kind of pointless. I am guessing that the chances this guy will ever make this mistake again are extremely low, and if he hasn't learned the lesson by now I hardly thing any amount of jail time will make a difference. What is gained by him sitting in jail being another leach on society? (assuming he is not deemed a threat to other people)

In my opinion, justice would be better served by making this guy give every dime he has or makes in the future (beyond what is needed for him to stay alive) to the victims family. I think that would be greater punishment than jail time, and would also assist those who were hurt by his mistake. Also, he should never be allowed to hunt again or own firearms...

Jail time isn’t about gaining something. It’s about punishment, plain and simple.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Jail time isn’t about gaining something. It’s about punishment, plain and simple.
Nonsense. Jail time is often a deterrent. I’m not going to rob this bank because I don’t want to go to the jail for 10 years. I’m not going to embezzle money because if I get caught I’m going to jail for 10 years.

In this case it’s not a deterrent for the next guy. I’m not going to accidentally shoot this guy thinking he’s an elk. It’s just a punishment. It won’t bring back the dead hunter, so what’s the point of paying all this money to lock this guy up?

Venom One

WKR
Also, he should never be allowed to hunt again or own firearms...

The article addressed this; as a felon he isn't allowed to own weapons so he can't hunt with a gun.

Also the judge "will recommend to Colorado Parks and Wildlife that Morosko’s hunting and fishing privileges in Colorado and all compact states be suspended for life."

Agree - nothing is gained, or learned necessarily, by sitting in jail over this.

Don't believe that it's prudent to make someone pay for the rest of their life a monetary value to the family of the victim. Our society has devolved into thinking that money fixes everything. A better "punishment" would be to make a lifetime volunteer teaching a section in hunters safety courses.

And then what? For many, jail "punishment" means absolutely nothing to them as they are repeat offenders. The threat of jail time as mentioned is a deterrent for a reason to not do something. Plain and simple.

That was NOT A MISTAKE! It was a crime.

I remember the day this happened because I had just left the woods and heard it on the radio. felt really bad for the kid and shocked because I knew that could have been me.
in my opinion, it was not a mistake or an accident. you knowingly sent a round down range at a person because you saw movement. he is plenty old enough to know better and he obviously didn't care.

A better "punishment" would be to make a lifetime volunteer teaching a section in hunters safety courses.
I would say he is obviously not the best candidate for teaching hunter safety. do you really think if he didn't get it after 60 years he might learn now?

87TT

WKR
If he would have stepped up and admitted his guilt, then MAYBE I would think differently but he is a turd and deserves much more than he got. !0 years seem more appropriate.

Erict

WKR
If he would have stepped up and admitted his guilt, then MAYBE I would think differently but he is a turd and deserves much more than he got. !0 years seem more appropriate.

Like it or not, it is usually best for a defendant to "admit nothing, deny everything and demand proof", at least until all appeals are exhausted.

The article states "The maximum jail time for the criminally negligent homicide is three years in jail."

The Wildlife Violators Compact is good in concept but each state has different rules for how it is applied. In NY, he would remain eligible to buy a fishing or trapping license, and could be suspended/revoked from buying a hunting license for a maximum of 10 years.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Hypothetically, I can shoot someone while hunting that I don't like or glasses me with their scope and only get 90 days in jail Hmmmm.

The justice system in this country makes no logical sense. You can get more time for defending your family from a home invasion or stopping a car jacking.

Edit: Colorado has gone downhill extremely fast (exponentially) in the past 3-4 years. People keep moving here and bring their crappy home politics here. My monthly to bi-monthly trip to the Denver area is completely shocking. Laws are barely enforced, cops won't come out to write reports, people speeding 20+ over on every road, homeless everywhere, #1 car theft in the country, etc.

Last edited: