Mudder boots for waterfowl hunting?

Rich M

WKR
Thanks to all with the feedback!

I hunt on the same property each time, and unfortunately those I hunt with are now without a dog, and sometimes I'm in a separate location on the property without a dog. In the locations we hunt on the property it's pretty much impossible to avoid the pluff mud. We do use a canoe - to get across the irrigation canals, and to pull when the water gets so shallow that we have to walk through the mud. We are pretty familiar with the water depths, but you are right that a surprise deep bottom can happen with the pluff mud - but we already have that problem. I've never gotten in past my waist, and we always use chest waders and a paddle as both a walking stick (and to test depth in advance of stepping forward). I'm thinking these are an additional tool to the above, but not a replacement for them.

@Rich M - have you seen your dad use the Mudders when getting into and out of a boat or canoe? I could see that being a hassle, and maybe cause to remove and put them back on.

One of our recent "upgrades" is to take ~2'x2' pieces of plywood to stand on when we are set up, and maybe these Mudders would eliminate or reduce the need for those.
The mudders do increase the size of your feet so in and out changes.figure you need another 3 inches.

When we hunt off “land” we usually create that mudhole at our feet. Mudders will slow the process but not eliminate it.

Dad’s 80+ now and doesnt do much outside the boat. Plywood is his friend for standing on to shoot and we also use bar stools w boat cushions to sit on.