Ideas for next duck season…

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Today was the last day of duck season here in Georgia and I’m already looking at next year. This was my first year ever duck hunting and I had a blast. I’m not in a prime location for waterfowl hunting, and I knew that going into it. Of course I killed my share of woodies, a pintail, and a beautiful black duck. But yesterday on a private place near the house I saw more ducks than I’ve ever seen. I got to watch at least 100 ducks circle and work our decoys. Mallards, black ducks, and pintails. Not all committed, but man what an experience.

Anyways, seeing all those birds yesterday has me wanting to see it some more next year and I don’t expect that to be the norm here at the house. What are some cool duck hunts I could plan for next year in the surrounding states? I don’t expect to shoot limits every day and I’m not in a position to pay a bunch of money. Just looking for some cool experiences and different views besides the same few swamps. Hope yall had a good season.

98801bcbfb05c5efc0a853003a749e08.jpg

08a6cb300a5493c1da367e1979263c6c.jpg

4f104c7215c05e05b890f7ab328d7e67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
You can hit the FL gulf coast and shoot some redheads and bluebills and buffleheads.

Louisiana has some ducks - buddy likes to go there and they got 30 ducks between 2 of them. Mostly teal but they have some blinds with pintails and other big ducks.

I hunted Chincoteague for brant a few years back - shot my 2 and a limit of buffleheads. Prettiest sunrise i ever saw.

You need to go somewhere for snow geese - you'll love that.

Kurts86

WKR
I don’t think there are a lot of great duck hunting experiences to be had on the cheap in the Southeast. The good spots have been locked down for 100 years and you don’t have much for a major flyway. I wasn’t impressed by the duck hunting while I lived there.

If you want a good and different waterfowl experience point your vehicle towards North Dakota once the migration gets going around mid November. Don’t even consider any place to hunt until you get halfway across Missouri but then consider audibles anywhere from Kansas to North Dakota based on water and where the birds are. The central flyway is one of the few places you can still successfully freelance waterfowl and no southern timber hole will ever be as pretty as a prairie sunrise.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I need to start doing some waterfowl myself just to mix it up a bit.
After 15 trips up to the deer lease I've had enough this season.
We're here on the Northern Gulf and there are opportunities.
I've "dabbled" in it and killed a few but never got serious.

Rogue Bay

WKR
Today was the last day of duck season here in Georgia and I’m already looking at next year. This was my first year ever duck hunting and I had a blast. I’m not in a prime location for waterfowl hunting, and I knew that going into it. Of course I killed my share of woodies, a pintail, and a beautiful black duck. But yesterday on a private place near the house I saw more ducks than I’ve ever seen. I got to watch at least 100 ducks circle and work our decoys. Mallards, black ducks, and pintails. Not all committed, but man what an experience.

Anyways, seeing all those birds yesterday has me wanting to see it some more next year and I don’t expect that to be the norm here at the house. What are some cool duck hunts I could plan for next year in the surrounding states? I don’t expect to shoot limits every day and I’m not in a position to pay a bunch of money. Just looking for some cool experiences and different views besides the same few swamps. Hope yall had a good season.

98801bcbfb05c5efc0a853003a749e08.jpg

08a6cb300a5493c1da367e1979263c6c.jpg

4f104c7215c05e05b890f7ab328d7e67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That black duck is gorgeous! I’d have a hard time not putting that one on the wall. I’m hoping to have a chance at one some day.

DuckDogDr

WKR
If you were happy with this season then you’ll be really thrilled if numbers ever come back the way they were in 2005. A lot of hardcore seasoned veterans and go-getters I know struggled hard this year for abysmal numbers.

Word of advice being a new hunter .. Don’t hunt your wood duck spot every day or even every weekend. You’ll blow the birds out of there before you can even think twice about it..

Find you several spots to rotate or I promise you from experience you will regret it. Be careful who you share your spots with as well.. guard them like you would your woman .. maybe even more so especially if you’re hunting public land.

My plans for this year .. likely going to drop my Louisiana lease . We’re supposed to be adding onto our available fields at my Arkansas lease and cost will be the exact same.

Been saying for years my entire decoy spread is going to be hand carved birds .. already started carving them to follow through this year.

Going to make sure and make time for training the pup vs an occasional few sessions here and there..

Got some upgrades for gear organization and storage in the truck and side x side already being fabricated currently.

If i pay off my sxs next month im going try and spring for a much larger, more stable boat to open access to larger bodies of water next to my girlfriend’s house.

This coming fall going to concentrate my efforts in Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi vs traveling for trophy birds.

IMG_9334.jpeg

IMG_8990.jpeg

Toying with the idea of getting a 28 gauge for early Teal and flooded timber hunts

T_Roy

FNG
Some of out best out of state hunts were just knocking on people's door and asking for permission to hunt. 8/10 we got a yes and a new spot to hunt in coming years.

If you were happy with this season then you’ll be really thrilled if numbers ever come back the way they were in 2005. A lot of hardcore seasoned veterans and go-getters I know struggled hard this year for abysmal numbers.

Word of advice being a new hunter .. Don’t hunt your wood duck spot every day or even every weekend. You’ll blow the birds out of there before you can even think twice about it..

Find you several spots to rotate or I promise you from experience you will regret it. Be careful who you share your spots with as well.. guard them like you would your woman .. maybe even more so especially if you’re hunting public land.

My plans for this year .. likely going to drop my Louisiana lease . We’re supposed to be adding onto our available fields at my Arkansas lease and cost will be the exact same.

Been saying for years my entire decoy spread is going to be hand carved birds .. already started carving them to follow through this year.

Going to make sure and make time for training the pup vs an occasional few sessions here and there..

Got some upgrades for gear organization and storage in the truck and side x side already being fabricated currently.

If i pay off my sxs next month im going try and spring for a much larger, more stable boat to open access to larger bodies of water next to my girlfriend’s house.

This coming fall going to concentrate my efforts in Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi vs traveling for trophy birds.

View attachment 666669

View attachment 666670

Toying with the idea of getting a 28 gauge for early Teal and flooded timber hunts
You should get a 28ga for everything. I shot everything from puddle ducks sea ducks geese and Sandhills with mine this year.

Definitely look into sea ducks. It’s so much fun I’d rather do that than chase mallards… yes I’m screwed in the head. Could also come to OK and chase sand hill cranes they are a good time.

Attachments

• IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9045.jpeg
    IMG_9045.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9050.jpeg
    IMG_9050.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 8E2B4AD0-ED65-4BE1-8846-CE02EB15ABBC.jpeg
    8E2B4AD0-ED65-4BE1-8846-CE02EB15ABBC.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9092.jpeg
    IMG_9092.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7894.jpeg
    IMG_7894.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7893.jpeg
    IMG_7893.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 9

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely look into sea ducks. It’s so much fun I’d rather do that than chase mallards… yes I’m screwed in the head. Could also come to OK and chase sand hill cranes they are a good time.
Definitely not screwed in the head. I’ve found that enjoying all aspects of waterfowling are awesome. Whether it’s mallards or sea ducks they both offer their own unique and awesome experience. I’ve been known to be a mallard snob but that’s not at all the case anymore.

@UpTop that’s right. I tell guys all the time I shoot these birds every day of season. The adventure and the beauty and toughness of seaducks for the week I chase them is super appealing to me. I love traveling to hunt and seeing new things and people it’s crazy to think where these little feathered things have taken me.

@masonbanta
Who did you shoot your brant with and what state did you go to?
I want one bad
I shot them in NJ with The River Rats Waterfowl. You can find him on Facebook usually this time of year talking about selling everything lol. He’s a killer for sure but not everyone’s cup of tea. I’d book a Brant hunt as soon as you can for this next season. The population is hurting and it’s down to 1 bird and talks of closing the season are looming. They are a blast to hunt. Also check out Marsh River they operate out of Maine and Massachusetts, you’ll have to book in MA for Brant also but they are who I shot the eider with.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Thanks I’ll give your guy a call. I’d rather avoid Massachusetts again if I had anything to say about it.

Were you shore hunting or layout boat?