Flathead Valley Waterfowl

BearGuy

FNG
New to waterfowl hunting. I live in the flathead valley area. I was curious what types of ducks any of you in the same area get into? I've really only seen mallards and divers but I was wondering if there was much else. Not complaining at all just curious.

t_carlson

WKR
Back when I lived around there, we shot mostly mallards and divers. However, we did get into some good Widgeon shoots down in the sloughs south of Kalispell from time to time.

Early in the season - wood ducks and teal. Later widgeon but by vets day mallards and golden eyes. Even killed a pintail drake around xmas one year. Numbers have really declined in recent years.

t_carlson

WKR
Yep, teal early. I forgot about them.

Oddly, I know some waterfowlers who get a snow or a speck from time to time.

OP
BearGuy

BearGuy

FNG
Early in the season - wood ducks and teal. Later widgeon but by vets day mallards and golden eyes. Even killed a pintail drake around xmas one year. Numbers have really declined in recent years.
Are you saying duck numbers in general have declined a lot?

I am at the lower end of the valley and in 40 years the numbers have declined substantially. I went out last weekend and saw 6 mallards in 45 miles of river. There might have been 40 golden eyes where normal would be over 100. Enough so that I am skipping this year entirely.

OP
BearGuy

BearGuy

FNG
I am at the lower end of the valley and in 40 years the numbers have declined substantially. I went out last weekend and saw 6 mallards in 45 miles of river. There might have been 40 golden eyes where normal would be over 100. Enough so that I am skipping this year entirely.
Wow that’s rough. I feel like I see a lot of birds on the lake but I guess I don’t have a gauge of what it used to be.