Help me choose a Duck gun

Fallbeard

FNG
I am looking to get in to duck hunting and buying a dedicated waterfowl gun. My research shows SBE 3 vs A400 is like a Chevy vs Ford debate…everyone has a preference.

I already have a Remington 870 Supermangum in 12 gauge dedicated for turkeys. A Beretta SV10 Perinnia in 20 gauge for doves, quail, and other small game.
I’m currently leaning towards the Beretta A400 extreme plus. Where I could use experienced input is, 12 gauge or 20 gauge?

I understand the math behind 12 v 20 (more pellets) but is there anything else to consider when choosing a gauge for waterfowl usage?

OP
F

Fallbeard

FNG
Look at shell availability for 20gauge. Last year around this time it was a bit difficult to find 2-4 steel shot.
Great suggestion. Any firearm without the stuff to make it go boom is just a club. Not extensive, but a quick online search of Cabelas showed some 20 gauge availability. I’m also the type to buy ammo any time during the year to “ buy cheap and stack deep”.

Btw, great username. Sums up my thinking 3/4 of the year.

Tod osier

WKR
I am looking to get in to duck hunting and buying a dedicated waterfowl gun. My research shows SBE 3 vs A400 is like a Chevy vs Ford debate…everyone has a preference.

I already have a Remington 870 Supermangum in 12 gauge dedicated for turkeys. A Beretta SV10 Perinnia in 20 gauge for doves, quail, and other small game.
I’m currently leaning towards the Beretta A400 extreme plus. Where I could use experienced input is, 12 gauge or 20 gauge?

I understand the math behind 12 v 20 (more pellets) but is there anything else to consider when choosing a gauge for waterfowl usage?
If you are going to commit to a 20 for waterfowl, you need to commit to some sort of better than steel shot IMO, which means more $$$ per shot. A 20 is awful nice to carry, but that doesn't come into play waterfowling as much as other shotgunning. I'd say a 12 for waterfowl, fancy shot or not.

kpk

WKR
20ga in steel or bismuth is nearly impossible to get around here. The shelves are full of 12ga which I prefer if geese are the target.

Another thing you may want to consider is that the SBEs have quite a reputation of shooting high. Most of the guys I know aren't willing to gamble on them anymore.

OP
F

Fallbeard

FNG
@Tod osier Thanks for your input. I don’t want to hold back from pulling the trigger because each miss is $2. I’m not a good enough shot. Plus, the only way to get better is to shoot more!

@kpk I would be real irritated if I went with the SBE and got the clock sound when pulling the trigger. I don’t foresee myself hunting geese. I don’t like to hunt what I don’t like to eat, so I don’t foresee killing geese in my future.

@westslopelaker 12 gauge seems to be the safer route. I know a lighter carry isn’t as much an advantage duck hunting but for some reason I keep wanting to go 20.

If you can’t tell, I tend to over analyze things. Doesn’t matter if it’s a new gun or a pack of gum.

t_carlson

WKR
The Boss 3" #4 20 ga. loads kill about as well as a 12 ga. with steel. They flat out knock birds out of the sky.

To complicate your decision a little more, don't overlook the Franchi Affinity series. I have one and its a great gun. There's actually a video on youtube of a guy disassembling an Affinity and a Benelli M2 and most of the parts are interchangeable. Franchi is a subsidiary of Benelli.

Berettas are great guns too, and softer shooting than the Benelli/Franchi due to the kind of mechanism (gas vs. inertia). However, they dirty up quicker due to the gas operation and become VERY sluggish in cold weather. I don't like cleaning guns, so my inertia guns get used more often.

Lots of variables in choosing a new duck gun.

The fact of the matter is that you will not be hindered by your choice between 12 and 20. Both will be effective in the field as good as loads are these days. Especially with dialing in choke/shell combos, you can get really good groups out of almost anything with a little trial and error.

Weight and overall length are 2 of the main factors I would consider. Are you planning on carrying your gun in long distances? Are you going to be in open habitat making passing shots at longer ranges or decoying birds in close? These kinds of questions about hunt style/usage will determine which is better for you.

12 gauge ammo does seem to be easier to find and I'm not sure there's really much of a price difference thus giving the nod to 12 gauge in the ammo category.

My particular hunting group hunts in lots of different habitats and use both 12 and 20. The guys with both gauges typically pick up the 20 when we're decoying birds close and all the shots are going to be within 20 yards but I haven't ever heard one of them say they'd rather have had the 12 gauge with them.

striped1

FNG
12 gauge Benelli SBE 2 (3.5") or M2 (3") will do all you need.
Personally I own 1 SBE 2 and 1 M2 and an Ultralight and a Cordoba all in 12 gauge.
If you get the "benelli click" is it you, not the gun.
I would go with the 3.5" SBE 2 because it allows for all sizes of 12 gauge, but the M2 would not be limiting by just being a 3".

CorbLand

WKR
When it comes to waterfowl guns I always look for two things.

1. Most important, something that will work under bad conditions. I dont know where you are but I have hunted ducks/geese in -20 degrees, freezing rain, snow, and blue bird 65 degree days. I want a gun that can take all of that.

2. Something that is easy to take apart. I have had to take a gun or two apart in a layout blind and its nice to have it simple as can be.

I have always stuck to pump guns for the two reasons above and out of the two you asked about, SBE but I have zero experience with the Beretta.

D S 319

WKR
Just got a SBE3 used it all week waterfowl hunting and I liked it no issues with it except some user error. Get the BE.ST SBE3 and looking at a 25 year warranty vs 10 year without that coating.

Ive really enjoyed my CZ1012. Its a light gun, which means bigger recoil but has been stupid reliable.

KurtR

WKR
12 gauge franchi affinity is what I use. 3” 2 or 3 shot to kill everything. Pattern master code black choke. The choke and the pattern is as important as the gun it’s self. Before that it was a tried and try 870 wingmaster my dad bought in 1979 it never missed a beat. It’s in the safe as I know it will always work if needed.

Wheels

WKR
I have both the SBE and M2 and almost always carry the M2. Shoot 2-3/4 or 3” shells for all ducks and geese, but had the SBE first and don’t plan on getting rid of it. If I’m strictly shooting big honkers I carry my Browning Maxus, gas guns don’t beat you up as much if you’re shooting 3.5’s.
Have some buddies that shoot Beretta’s and like them.

OP
F

Fallbeard

FNG
Y’all are making this harder, but all great points.

I envision myself hunting over decoys and shooting mostly within 40 yards, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

I did another search on sportsman’s warehouse for waterfowl shells. 39 20g options vs 213 12g options. Selected “in stock only”, and reduced it down to 5 20g vs 50 12g.

I hear boss shells get thrown around a lot on here with praise. I’m sure they’re legit, but $2 a trigger pull might have me waiting until the birds land in my lap before I squeeze the boom stick.

@CorbLand I agree, I want reliability above all. I’d never really be that hard on a weapon, but I like to joke that I could use my duck gun as a boat paddle then shoot a limit if I had to.

I just sold the SBE3, it shot extremely high. Even after shimming it. Just couldn’t stand it anymore.some people like it. I shoot my buddies A400 and it’s night and day difference.

Personally, I like an inertia gun for waterfowl. Very simple, easy to work on. I shoot a Stoeger M3000 which is a Benelli copycat at a fraction of the price. After several years of abuse I've only had one part fail and it was a $5 spring that took a few minutes to replace. The Beretta A400 that's on your list I have not personally handled myself but have only heard good things about.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold the SBE3, it shot extremely high. Even after shimming it. Just couldn’t stand it anymore.some people like it. I shoot my buddies A400 and it’s night and day difference.
I’ve heard this from many friends. A400 but A300 is solid too and def 12ga. The kickoff on the A400 makes it nicer to shoot than my 20 too

OP
F

Fallbeard

FNG
I didn’t mean for the to turn in to a ___ vs _____ manufacturer discussion. I just read an older “beretta A400 bs SBE 3” thread. Like I said, everyone has preferences and it turns in to a coke va Pepsi discussion. Internal biases have one person’s experience seem true while another person’s differing experience is wrong.

Ultimately, I’m going to try to go to a local shop and mount each shotgun before making a purchase. My original conundrum was should I go 20 gauge or 12 gauge. Again, this will be primarily duck only gun.