MTNTOUGH+ app and On-Ramp with Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders,

After a little while away from a solid workout plan, I've restarted one of the MTNTOUGH workout programs. I've previously done the post-season and pre-season workout programs from mtntough, which Matt and I reviewed a while back. Coming into this year I feel more out of condition than I have in the past and wanting to get a routine going again with fitness I noticed MTNTOUGH had conveniently just released their on-ramp programs aimed towards folks needing a kickstart. As we've discussed before the post and pre season, not to mention elite, programs are intense built to make you a mountain hunter. The thought of starting those programs again right now is daunting to me, so I chose the on-ramp for just the reason it sounds.. an on-ramp to the beefier programs.

Couple things that have changed since I last reviewed. MTNTOUGH now has an app which was highly requested. They've also gone to a subscription based system at $240/year or $30/mo and that gives you access to the ENTIRE platform, not just 1 program. That includes like 15 different programs to choose from ranging from beginner to elite in both a gym setting and body weight setting. Great deal for me. Rokslide members can use code ROKMTN for a 30 day free trial on the app!

When I'm home in Idaho I have a fairly basic garage gym. I first started the On-Ramp Minimal Gear program where you only need dumbbells and a box (or a cooler). One thing I really like about this program is following along.. think back to p90x or some of the beachbody DVD's where you follow along with the whole workout.. this is the same idea which I enjoyed. I put a small TV in the garage with a Roku and downloaded the MTNTOUGH+ app right onto the Roku so I could stream to the tv. You can also get the app with the other smart tv devices so you can stream the workouts.

As I write this now, I'm in Nebraska on the family ranch helping out with some things. I don't have a gym here at all, but that's ok because I just swapped over to the On-Ramp Bodyweight program where no equipment is needed. This is only a 2 week program at 3 days a week and is meant to just get you moving again. Each workout is about 30 minutes when following along. I'm planning on doing the 2 week course and from there, graduating to a program they call the 30-30. It's a bodyweight only program that is 6 weeks, 5 days a week. I'm hoping that will put me into a great place to start the pre-season program.

I'll keep my progression of the program updated on this thread. If you have any questions let me know. @weston(mtntough) with MTNTOUGH is also here and ready to answer questions.

Last edited:
Glad to see others doing similar with switching up programs. I travel a ton for work and some hotels have a “gym” that is lacking so I switch back to the body weight programs. They do kick your butt! Anxious to see how you feel you progress throughout.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Long time user of the app here, I started guiding in a professional capacity a few years ago and wanted to make sure my clients were getting the level of fitness they deserve from their guide. Prior to using the app I did a variety of self designed plans which were decent but I had some holes in my game and had grown pretty stale with my routine.

One thing I’d recommend is that if you don’t have access to a certain piece of equipment (ski erg for me), don’t get hung up on it. Work with what you do have, you’ll still get a killer workout.

My favorite program thus far has been In-Season Training. Currently running through the Spring Training Camp series.

My least favorite thing is the stretching/cooldowns. Truth be told I’m horrible about doing them.

We have a massive lift ahead of us this year and I simply can’t afford to be anything less than in my best shape. Hoping to see a lot of other folks jump in here as well. Definitely a worthwhile investment of time.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Long time user of the app here, I started guiding in a professional capacity a few years ago and wanted to make sure my clients were getting the level of fitness they deserve from their guide. Prior to using the app I did a variety of self designed plans which were decent but I had some holes in my game and had grown pretty stale with my routine.

One thing I’d recommend is that if you don’t have access to a certain piece of equipment (ski erg for me), don’t get hung up on it. Work with what you do have, you’ll still get a killer workout.

My favorite program thus far has been In-Season Training. Currently running through the Spring Training Camp series.

My least favorite thing is the stretching/cooldowns. Truth be told I’m horrible about doing them.

We have a massive lift ahead of us this year and I simply can’t afford to be anything less than in my best shape. Hoping to see a lot of other folks jump in here as well. Definitely a worthwhile investment of time.
Super solid advice here. When I was doing the pre-season training a couple years ago I had fairly minimal equipment and didn't have a ski erg or even a rower.. in those times I would just go run the stairs in my house. I'm also with you on the stretching.. and I need to be better about that.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I started with the On-Ramp yesterday. I've allowed myself to get way out of shape and didn't even realize how bad until I did that workout yesterday!

To hold myself accountable and monitor my progress: I'm starting at 193 lbs and planning to be 175 lbs by my August bear hunt. I've been hovering between 185 and 195 for the last couple of years, and it's time I get back into shape.

Just started the foundational minimal gear program today and it is no joke 😅😅 I’ve had some mysterious health stuff going on the last few months and lost motivation to work out. I’m glad I started with the foundational, almost jumped into the KB20 or one of the pack workouts and those probably would’ve actually killed me.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I am on day 3 of the mental toughness program. I can say that it is legit-it touches on a lot of things I'm familiar with from my military time. Very well thought out course so far.

I got myself into pretty good shape last year but started with the app this off-season currently in the spring training and I think I'm already in better shape than I was going into any hunting season in the last 5 years I can't wait for fall now! The workouts are tough butni really look forward to them

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
To hold myself accountable and monitor my progress: I'm starting at 193 lbs and planning to be 175 lbs by my August bear hunt. I've been hovering between 185 and 195 for the last couple of years, and it's time I get back into shape.

Post guide season and the holidays killed me this year, I kept working out but couldn’t outwork my diet. Got up to 229lbs (height 6’2”) by New Years. Down 19lbs as of today doing the 1/10 diet (gram of protein per lb of body weight, 10 cals per lb of body weight).

Hit the Mountain Man workout (week 3 day 1 - Spring Training) this morning and got in a hike this evening.

a9deea4a82b6562653fd2d7e3111ccc2.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad I didn't keep putting it off after seeing I'm not even close to the shape I thought I was in.
That happens to me anytime I start feeling my oats. Bump the weights up to the expert level and it humbles me real quick.

The other one is hiking with people who are faster than me. Always good for me to have some perspective.

The weight isn't bad I can move it just fine on a normal routine but the tempo that goes along with those weights humbles me after about 2 rounds I'll start feeling great then remember really fast!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I dont mean to sound corny, but I started using their program about a year ago and it changed my life. Ive been out of a fitness routine for about 10 years. Im not a big fan of the gym and I have a very busy lifestyle. This program allowed me to incorporate a workout routine into my life anywhere, anytime. Im in the best shape I have ever been in right now and it has improved my life in every regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a good hike in this weekend. My legs have been a little punchy from the workouts and I was slow on the uphill, my downhill wasn’t a PR but it was the fastest I’ve run in a few years.

Lazy Mtn (Palmer, AK): 4 miles roundtrip, 2969’ of climb
Up/Down Split: 1:05/0:20
Total Time: 1:25

BamuleyID

FNG
Another plus for the crew at MTNTOUGH! I made it through the On-Ramp program and I am currently on Wk4D4 of the 30-30...humbling for a bodyweight program! I can't wait for KB20 and then one of their heavy pack programs. 😬 Keep it up everyone, fall is closer than we think! And it's still ski season!!!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
81d3894687efc1bb4920bc18eaf9406f.jpg

Spring Training Camp cycle is wrapping up at the end of this month. I’m within 3lbs of my target weight going into the summer. Looking forward to the next cycle in their programming. Weekend hikes are getting really enjoyable these days.