mtn ops vs wilderness athlete. do this products work?

DIY

WKR
Hunting in sept at 12000 ft. Wondering if I should supplement with a recovery and a high altitude pill, hestitate if these products work. Are these a must have

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
What are the ingredients of these supplements? If they are published that will tell what it will and won't do.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
Jack O'Connor sure did fine without all these supplements........

Last edited:
Hunting in sept at 12000 ft. Wondering if I should supplement with a recovery and a high altitude pill, hestitate if these products work. Are these a must have

Must have? no! Hydration mixes in additiona to water for altitude doesn't hurt but their are many products on the market for this.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't stand the taste of the mtn ops drink mixes, the mountain athlete tastes a lot better in my opinion especially the supermans. I'm not a huge believer in most supplements and don't bother taking much but I generally flavor my water in backpack hunts when having meals so I figure I might as well take something with a little extra in it than flavor and fake sugar.

brewer427

WKR
All I use is the protein powder for breakfast and the yeti and enduro to keep me going through the day for work. I gave up coffee awhile back and can't remember the last time I drank a pop. So for me the yeti and enduro definitely help me through the day. I will also take one shortly before works over to help motivate me to work out, shoot or whatever I didn't do that morning that I had planned. I know a lot of guys don't believe in supplements, but me personally I do benefit from them. Just my 2cents...

I love to use supplements. Recovery is the biggest reason I take supplements but also keep my body balanced with all the good stuff. I like to take a multivitamin in the morning. If I am going to go for a run or hike I take a scoop of Enduro. On day I'm going to lift I take a scoop of Yeti. Because I have a sweet tooth I always have a chocolate protein shake before bed (generic way protein from Walmart).

I don't know if this is the correct way to take supplements but my weight is going down, my energy is up, and my recovery time getting better.

i took a round of mount ops and did absolutely nothing. PLACEBO and a ZERO in my book. Like stated above Jack Oconner did fine without any supplements

LJ Buck

WKR
look into mountaineering experiences on these things. Serious Backpacking articles are the best info for back country hunting.

KMT

WKR
I'm old school and don't have a lot of faith in nutritional supplements. I rehydrate with water and recover with a descent diet.

Bulldawg

WKR
I've used both and like the taste of wilderness athlete better but the performance I get from Mtn ops better. I do not know about the altitude supplement as I don't use it but the yeti is a great preworkout and the ammo is great. Supplementing your water with some sort of powdered drink is never a bad idea as you lose more than just water when you sweat so being able to put more nutrients into your body when you rehydrate and either one of those is better than Gatorade or anything like that. And having the single serve pouches is convenient on the trail

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the ingredients. Then bounce over to Bodybuilding.com and do some research. You can get most of what both companies are selling for way less by just purchasing what you need. The debate over high altitude supplementation has raged for years. However, none of the supplements will work if you are dehydrated. Without being properly hydrated your body will not be able to synthesize any of the extra nutrients you are giving it by way of supplementation. This should include upping your water intake at least 2 - 3 days prior to departure. If you are flying, drink a ton of water. Plane air conditioning is very drying.

Sleep, staying warm and energy levels are all affected by one's hydration level. Trying to fix dehydration with supplements is a waste of money. Adding supplements when properly hydrated "may" increase the ability to recover faster or perform at a higher level. Lot's of people think they can eat and drink poorly in the backcountry and then have some magic powder fix everything. Not so much.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Wilderness Athlete products for a few years on and off and just got into trying some of the Mtn Ops recently during their big promotion (yea they suckered me into buying some). When it comes to supplements I like the powdered mixes and hydrate and recover along with the energy and focus have been great. In the past I had packets of powdered gatorade or propel, but like the idea of wilderness athletes stuff that doesn't have so much sugar. I ran in college and knowing how your body reacts along the spectrum from properly hydrated to dehydrated and the steps to cure dehydration are key. Staying properly hydrated is always a must and water is essential, but adding the h/r and e/f has been very good for me both while working out and hitting the woods. Both of the replacement meals have been nice for a breakfast shake and keep me full till lunch. Like many have mentioned here looking at what is in them to determine what they do is key and chances are you can find them through other companies cheaper. A proper diet along with hydration is the main thing that will keep you going and there is no snake oil to change that. I've never tried the altitude stuff just because I have never had an issue.
I've had some of the Koolaid and it seems to help and some of it was just a waste of money. Many people have done it in the past and many people will do it in the future without these supplements.